Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Do you name your cars??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34Larry, Aug 22, 2019.

1. 34Larry

34Larry

I have never named any car or vehicle I've owned. However since putting my 3 window 34 on the road, I have thought it is worthy of one, especially with the lengthy history it has. I just could not find one that I thought suits it, and so have not done so. I however have now come up with one that is appropriate and as such will have it emblazoned on the door window like the Cali. Kid. From there forth is will be (the) "Black Widow"
    If you think I'm nuts, just humor an old coot.
    Going to post the latest pic. taken and risk this thread being deleted, (which won't hurt my feelings as I know why it could be, but nothing ventured nothing gained.:):D 34 with red pin stripe.jpg

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

I only have names for my ride when it is not running right, or some new part does not fit

3. Jakes38

Jakes38

20190529_174159.jpg @InstantT inadvertently named my 55 on a cruise a while back. He said, "man, that thing looks like a Palomino runnin' down the road!" And it just stuck. My Daughter has referred to the car as Fordie (you know, cuz it's a Ford...)since I've had it. She was about 3 when she came up with that.

4. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I think a car has to earn it's name, Its not the same as if you just pick out a name for them. If it does it does, if not then no name. My wife and I were driving in our town one evening in our Shoebox vert ( A beuatiful mild custom with all emblems and trim that identifies it as a Ford long gone ) with the top down, we were dog sitting our Grandaughter's dog at the time which is a Bichon Frise also known by many by the more common name "Little White Ankle Biter" Anyways my wife loves that dog like crazy and it was happily sitting on her lap as we roll up to a stop light. As we are sitting there a guy pulls up along side and says "Hey what is that anyway" my wife thinking he was talking about the dog replies " Its a Bichon" from then on that car was known as "Bichon" I still chuckle about that to this day. And yes, my wife is blonde.

5. When they frustrate me it's "P.O.S"!!!:mad:

6. I have a habit of hanging names on almost anything- daily driver, snow blower, hot rod, pickup truck, lawn mower, garden tools, BBQ- nothin around my place is immune to having a nick name hung on it

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. manyolcars

manyolcars

yep

8. "Black Widow" is a perfect name for your car with the red pin striping and frame! I have been calling my T; "Moby Grape "...

61Cruiser likes this.
  9. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

My first '55 Chevy I called "Bucket O' Bolts" back when. I don't call it that now.:rolleyes:

61Cruiser likes this.
  10. Your cars name is the Northern Star

11. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Back in the day had a white 72 grand prix with primer spots, called it "spot".

Of course a 66 GTO called goat.

Ex wife had a nice green 73 grand prix, we called it "green meanie" her I called "b!tch".

12. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

My '32 is named Fred!
    KK

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

A name is important to the car.
    My wife inherited a old ot car, was her mothers.
    Father inlaw named it "turd" and it broke down and left him walking all the time.

Same car, we named her "Lady Belle" We have driven the old 1993 car from WA > NM >WA > TX>WA>TX >TX>NM>TX>NM
    Maybe I take better care of her then the father inlaw, but she never broke down on us ... would drive it anywhere today.
    Treat em right!

14. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh yes.
    1948 Buick Convertible - Sexy Sadie
    1949 Buick Sedanette - Big Bertha
    1957 Chevy (black) - Black Betty
    1941 Plymouth - Brad (after my uncle)
    1954 Chevy (red)- Ruby (not mine now but the new owner still calls her Ruby)

15. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Yep, Northern Star. If I had a famous car, even if it didn't look the same as it usta, I would still call it by it's old name.

Only one of my cars has an actual name besides a generic description like "the '57" or "the black coupe". My '28 PU is named Otis.

16. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

my 40 Ford sedan "Black Magic" after Santana's Black Magic Woman, one of my fav songs 2016-04-26 00.56.14.jpg 2016-10-12 03.13.22.jpg

17. Naming them not so much but when they are giving me problems I call them names! :rolleyes: HRP

18. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

19. No, I don't want them to get a big head!:p Actually one already has a name.:oops:
    "Coleman Coupe"

20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yes, but might not use that name much.

21. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

Mine must be Piece of Shit since I'm always saying what will go wrong next with that POS.

22. chrisp

chrisp

The only one I have that has a name was given by Randy Ladd, Troy's brother of Hollywood Hot Rod, he named my Citroën the Shitroën, I loved it so I keep calling it that way.

23. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My 442 is "The Damn Olds" Used in a sentence; the damn olds came home on the roll back again! But I have 2 strict rules about car names;
    1. If they're derogatory, never use them within earshot of the car in question. They can hear you, sum bitch.
    2. Don't paint a name on your car or tattoo a girlfriends name on your arm. Just makes it harder to get rid of them.

24. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

Some of them: Benny, Homer, Julio, Marilyn, Penny.

Stogy likes this.
  25. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I call mine nochop

26. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

27. badvolvo

badvolvo

Up until now, not really. The 36 (aka the 36ster), The 40, The 49 and The 59. The 40 is supposed to be Fool's Gold, but "The 40" is what seems to be sticking.

28. I also thought about calling my car "Senior Moment "... cause I used to have a car I called "Mid Life Crisis".

Stogy and 31hotrodguy like this.
  29. Yep, most of the cars in the garage have names. Miss Taboo has had that name plastered it since 1958 and most know it by the name then a custom 56 Chevy. My 33 Ford Pickup is "Little Mouse" for a little stuffed mouse Christmas ornament i hung on the column when i was a year old. The 55 Chevy is "Blue Velvet".

Car names from the families past include - "Terminator" and "Terminator Too!" which was a 55 Chevy pickup custom my grandfather built and a little go kart with a fiberglass 34 ford roadster body that was painted and upholstered to match.

Another was "The Ugly Duckling", a 58 Chevy Biscayne my grandmother named as she has never liked the look of 58 Chevy's. It was also a mild custom and still running around today.

30. goldmountain

goldmountain