Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Chassis at NSRA nationals

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gearheadbill, Aug 20, 2019.

1. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

Did anyone take a close look at a chassis that was in the PeteNJake booth with the Borgeson Saginaw side steering setup? Was the steering box mounted to a separate bracket that they had made? Any pics of the box and mount?

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. town sedan

town sedan

3. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

4. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

I was to busy trying to keep from getting run over by mobility scooters.

5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I was over there a few days ago I’ll check this afternoon to see if I got a better photo that shows

6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looks like it’s just bolted to the boxing plate with a spacer on the top bolt to angle it correctly. I’ll look for a clear photo or get one later

7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

60E0AD75-442A-450A-BC3E-A90885C99C82.jpeg

Not the same angle of my photo showing the spacer but should hopefully get you what you need as far as what’s going on.

If you want a better view I’d just call and ask for them to email you a photo. If I had the time today that’s what I was going to do It’s sitting in the showroom right now.

Other wise I’ll likely go look at it next week and I could get you a photo

8. alchemy

alchemy

Same geometry as the Mustang boxes used to do, but using a newer box?

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had to hunt a bit but found it. Borgeson is building a side steer Saginaw style box that mounts to a plate on the frame or to some frames rather than with the bracket like the Mustang style boxes used.
    Not cheap but it should make for a nice steering rig. https://www.borgeson.com/xcart/product.php?productid=1756

10. So; how is that set-up different than this "bumpsteer" drawing from their catalog?
    steering.jpeg

mgtstumpy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. alchemy

alchemy

12. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

My question as well. Their show chassis is a single mount locator (hairpins) yet with the S-D vs S-B relationship not right.
    Borgeson does make this box with a "reverse" directional orientation, allowing the pitman arm to mount pointing down (vs. up as shown) yet would, I believe, produce the proper turning scenario, i.e. turn wheel to the right, box pulls on the steering arm...you go right. Don't know whether the pitman arm is indexable to allow this.

13. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

Spoke(e-mail) with the Borgeson tech dept. the pitman arm is splined and can be indexed to run vertically down which, using the correct box, will produce the proper relationship, similar to using an early Ford-style box.
    Still doesn’t explain the setup shown on the pictured chassis. Confused as to why, if it doesn’t work properly, a major iconic supplier would be promoting it. Must be more to the story.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

seb fontana likes this.
  14. X-cpe

X-cpe

Maybe they figure they have enough customers who will buy "traditional/cool" visual over best function.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  15. After thinking about my post, I got to remembering I put a Mustang box with the pitman arm "up" on a '33 I built in '71 or so. Dug out and scanned an old picture; look where the steering box mount is located. As much as I can recollect that car drove really good, no bumpsteer or other grief. Maybe the extra long hairpins helped?
    33 steering (Medium) - Copy_LI.jpg

16. alchemy

alchemy

The longer the arcs the less the bump steer.

RICH B and X-cpe like this.
  17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah the longer arch probably helps. This chassis is pretty low I’m not sure how far the pitman would drop indexed the other way but it would probably be pretty damn low.

-photos of the wrong chassis deleted

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  18. alchemy

alchemy

Tim, those pics are not the same chassis. You've got a regular Vega steering there, and the subject is a side steer box.

19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Ah so it is! They are nearly identical other than the steering. Hadn’t noticed that they had two at the show.

Wonder if the one in question was ordered that way as it was and maybe delivered at the nats? It didn’t appear to be at the shop after the show.

20. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I like the "roller" wheels P&J are using (with multiple bolt patterns).
    Little more substantial than plywood discs.
    Are those made by P&J or someone else?

21. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Algoma56 likes this.
  22. slim39

slim39
    from pa

Nothing Borgeson has is cheap but it is great quality and I use it all the time. I want something good when it comes to steering

Algoma56 likes this.
  23. uncle buck

uncle buck

Borgeson quality and service is far superior to the Flaming River junk too