Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical A v8 with spring in front of banjo axle

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by [email protected], Aug 21, 2019.

1. tssully67@gmail.com

[email protected]

I have a 40 ford differential and spring with closed driveline. I am thinking about flipping the axle tubes and making a spring mount in front of the model a crossmember and keeping the axle centerline on line with the model a's. Using the 40 ford springs, (probably remove a few springs) and shorten the torque tube to fit. Anyone have any advice or experience with this ? I know its done with different springs on model t's. Anyone do this on a model a?

2. sdroadster

sdroadster

I looked into this during a 29 roadster build I was doing. The problem is that the 40 spring arch is not high enough to allow adequate clearance between the torque tube, and the u bolts, and bottom of the spring. After measuring, I found the was very little space for rear end movement, and ride. I undid the whole thing, and extended the frame so I could use the Model A spring behind the 40 axle.