Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Is it just me.......?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vic Walter, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Vic Walter

Vic Walter

https://www.speedwaymotors.com
    https://www.summitracing.com
    https://jegs.com

I search these sites and get anything but what I search for.
    I tell each site I have a 65 mustang and try to drill to ignition keys, ignition cylinders, ignition switch, ignition switch pig tail, ignition switch wiring
    and the search nets spark plugs, gm dimmer switches, door jam switches but nothing with a key for any Ford.

wth !!?? do these people just not care ?

and get this, if I search google and find a part number I like and poke it into one of those sites it comes up and I can get it into my cart

Where do you shop ?

slack and dann57 like this.
  2. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

If I were you I would search a Mustang site for those specific parts your after. Try mustangsunlimited.

tb33anda3rd and Black_Sheep like this.
  3. 6sally6

6sally6

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I lik'em a lot!
    6sally6

seb fontana likes this.
  4. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've bought parts from both, but not a lot. I agree that their search functions suck which is maybe why I don't buy much from them.

5. Vic Walter

Vic Walter

mustangunlimited, no better, I search for "ignition key"
    get a nice set of door cylinders and ignition lock cylinder, nothing about the ignition switch itself, nor a wiring pigtail / connector

6. 6sally6

6sally6

Rock Auto and follow the trail!.............Ford 1966 Mustang 289 Ignition ignition lock set...BINGO!!!

So...to answer your question..................YES its just you!
    6sally6

Softpatch, squirrel and irishsteve like this.
  7. Vic Walter

Vic Walter

6sally6, you're such a jerk, rockauto is good that way, but they will not sale/ship to colorado

8. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

9. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

10. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

It’s more about learning what they call things. Search basic and add information as you go. Long search string will just make for confusion.

SPark

Chappy444 likes this.
  11. Droopydogg

Droopydogg

I typically use rockauto for the manufacturer part number and usually find it cheaper elsewhere...

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Squablow

Squablow

eBay also has issues with this, search for one thing and get shitloads of unrelated bullshit. Their search is guided by their Cassini algorithm which is guessing on what you want to find and not directly matching your search terms. I dislike those types of search engines.

41rodderz likes this.
  13. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

ebay search fits ebay to a t. I don't bother with ebay anymore. Honesty and integrity gets a - .

14. squirrel

squirrel

really? wow, that's odd. They ship to Arizona just fine.

Did you look at other parts stores that sell parts for normal cars, not just hot rods?

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...017/1965/ford/mustang?q=ignition+switch&pos=0

But yeah, it might just be you....take the chip off your shoulder, graciously accept the help you asked for.

Truckdoctor Andy, hrm2k and Hnstray like this.
  15. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

You're not kiddin'. It's pathetic. It wasn't always like this. Goolag's search algos used to be "most relevant" too, and worked great. Not anymore.

16. squirrel

squirrel

search rock auto or look in your old parts books to find the part number then search for that. It's work, but you get what you want that way.

Truckdoctor Andy and Hnstray like this.
  17. Or you can come here and ask for help then be an ass when you don’t like what you’ve been told.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

fourspeedwagon likes this.
  18. gene-koning

gene-koning

If your looking for an "ignition switch" rather then an "ignition key", you should probably search for an "ignition switch". If you want the key with the switch, you look for an "ignition switch with key". You need to search for the part you need, then about 1/2 the time you still get all the other crap.

I've also discovered that once you get all the other crap, changing the words will still get you the same results, all the other carp. You almost need to get off line, then get back on to get different search results. Gene

19. manyolcars

manyolcars

the ebay search is really bizarre. It used to be that you search one word and get every item with that word in it.Now the more words you search with, the more likely you get what you want but also thousands of things that are not what you want

20. DERPR30

DERPR30
    from HARVEY LA

I RESTORED A 66 MUSTANG & DIDNT HAVE ANY PROBLEMS FINDING PARTS

21. 6sally6

6sally6

Me too!! But it was a while ago before a lot of these on-line companies existed. (WAIT!!...it was even harder back then!) Sorry your having such issues.
    6sally6

22. slack

slack

It's not just you. I don't pretend to know about programming and all that encompasses but it seems their search engines are wonky? Even if you enter exactly what you want, you still have to tweak your search terms to find it. I still do business with all three but there is definitely something different going on when it comes to parts websites and their search parameters. C'est la vie. :cool:

Vic Walter likes this.
  23. Vic Walter

Vic Walter

65 mustang is just reference, that vintage of Fords use a nice dash mounted ignition switches.
    GM did also in those years.
    The switch is for my avatar and is part of the rewire work I want to do on it.
    I thought it would be neat to use a more modern Ford key, switch, cylinder, bezel and it would be nice if it came with a pigtail connector.

But the key switch is just an example of how websites just run some stupid algorithm to not show me things that actually associate to my search words. It is just bate and switch with the goal of me spending more time on their website.. Little do they know, it just drives me way.

24. Vic Walter

Vic Walter

Only an ass to assholes

25. squirrel

squirrel

I guess I don't search things the way you have been searching, I know that it will lead me astray...I have to do my own research to figure out exactly what parts I need, and get the part numbers or specific applications for them, and then take my time to find them from a variety of different sources.

Maybe I've been doing it too long, but I don't seem to have much trouble finding what I need. The thing is you have to know more than the computer about what you're looking for, because it's trying to maximize profit for some company, and you are trying to build a car with just the right parts.

David Gersic and fastcar1953 like this.
  26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mustangs Plus. https://www.mustangsplus.com/
    Search: ignition switch. Switches are on page 1, pigtails are on page 2.
    Search: ignition lock cylinder. Cylinders and keys are on page 1.

Good people, not that far from me. I get all my crossover to Falcon parts from them.

27. Hey!! I resemble that remark.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

28. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like this thread is on the way to closure.

29. Bravely Spoken

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Just put 65 mustang ignition switch into Google. Wish I got this number of sources dealing with my Studebaker...

switch&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l3.19351j0j8