Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Upholstering my Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flt-blk, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Like a lot of people, I like to do things myself, there are not many hot rod projects I shy away from. In this case it is Upholstery.

Last year my buddy Ryan (Guyonthehamb) signed us up for a 5wk basic upholstery class, making seat cushions, bags and other normal stuff that teach you the basics of Upholstery. The neat part about the class is once you are done, you still have access to the shop for your own projects, and the occasional teacher assistance as needed. I took full advantage of this and so far have done most of my car as you will see below.
    Door Panels

I had some rear door panels from a 58 Ford Custom 300 with a neat SS trim, that have been in the car for years. I liked the trim, but needed to do the rest. Some simple stitching and fitting and the door panels were done.

Door1.JPG Door2.JPG Door3.JPG Door4.JPG Door5.JPG Door6.JPG

2. Carpet

Black carpet with the edging done in the same red as the rest of the car. This snaps to the floor for easy removal and cleaning

Carpet1.JPG Carpet2.JPG Carpet4.JPG

3. Seat

The seat is a Minivan middle seat that has had the same Mexican blanket on it for 15yr. I had an interim project to change from a 4sp to a 5sp, which moved the shifter forward so I didn’t need the horseshoe on the seat. After fixing the seat frame and adding back a few springs, I got some new foam and made it comfortable.

The seat cover was a challenge, but I got it done.

Seat1.JPG Seat2.JPG Seat3.JPG Seat4.JPG

4. Top
    This car has had a canvas only top in it since I lived in TX, it was pretty worn and had multiple repairs from buffeting and rubbing on the header bows. When it rained you would stay more dry than wet, but it was not water tight by any stretch of the imagination.

I decided to fill the roof with a metal panel and upholster over it.
    The roof was harvested from a 2007 Dodge Caliber, I made a template of the roof crown and took it to the local Pick-N-Pull, $40 and two Sawzall blades later I had a roof insert.

I pulled out the top bows and side pieces and gave them a fresh coat of Varnish, then painted the under side of the roof panel white so it would not get claustrophobic inside.

The roof is attached to the wood, not welded in.

The top is an old Convertible top kit for a 67 Buick LeSaber the Upholstery shop had laying on top of the office, I got it for $20 and harvested a piece for the roof.

We installed it like a Landau top putting a layer of foam on the roof, then the canvas on top of that.
    Roof1.JPG Roof2.JPG Roof3.JPG Roof4.JPG Roof5.JPG Roof6.JPG Roof7.JPG Roof8.JPG

5. k32t

k32t
    from Hog town

cool cup holder

6. None of it is perfect, but I am pretty happy for my first try at a full interior, and I am only a few hundred bucks in to all of it. And I got to learn something in the process.

The cup holder is a column shift bell from a Shoebox Ford. I re-polished it before putting it back in.

Black_Sheep, Hombre and Tim like this.
  7. 2935ford

2935ford

You did very well, congrats! :)

8. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Looks to me like you took a 5 yr class. That turned out really nice.

9. upspirate

upspirate

I like it esp the door storage pouch. Never have enough storage for stuff.
    Good job!

10. Good job! Came out real nice

11. I like how you think, though.
    I like the "cup holder", too, +1 for that............ but I have to take away a point for the shifter boot. You seem like a detail guy so I'm believing that minor deal will get some sugar soon enough. :p

12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

13. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

Great job, I know the feeling of doing upholstery yourself. I did my mine with an old singer machine. But yours looks a lot better

14. belair

belair

Killed it. Great job.

15. DC40

DC40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great job!!

16. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

very nice interior

17. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  18. I'm impressed, great work :cool:

19. Hombre

Hombre
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You have done a fine job, it looks real good. I also tried my hand at upholstery on my Model A. Wish I had a class to go to it would have helped a lot. I did the try and retry and thing try it one more time just for good measure, but in the end I also am happy with my results. I had a lot more in mine than you do ,and your's look's great.

20. brady1929

brady1929

Looks great. Can you please tell us more about the course? Offered by whom?

21. I saw the door panels and thought “too much red!” but after you did the seat, too, it looks great! Very nicely done.

22. you mean the trim ring (which I carved and polished from an old Aluminum street sign)?

Carpet4.JPG

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  23. The class is from Chicago Upholstery school, It is out of an active Upholstery shop that does mostly Marine work now, a lot of canvas boat covers and sail covers, that type thing. The shop works during the day, and 2 nights a week and weekends are open for the school.

They break projects into Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced, depending on how much he thinks he is going to need to help. Most of what I do, he leaves me alone until I ask so it is considered expert and I am charged $15 hr for shop time, plus any materials he orders. Small stuff like sew-foam and thread is all in stock and part of the shop cost.

I have access to the full shop, Industrial walking foot sewing machines, giant clean tables, shears, glue, material like foam and trim, all the scraps I an test with. They have all the material books and local suppliers for all kinds of materials. It would cost me thousands to outfit my spare room with all the stuff.

The Teacher is an old hippie but does pretty good work, he handed day to day operations of the shop to his nephew a few months ago and he just runs the school and lives in the appt upstairs.

Typically I go down to discuss the project or send him an Email with pictures. I do the sewing in class, and measuring and marking on my own time. The last project was the roof piece, for all of the materials; Top material, foam, glue, hide-em, trim, etc. he charged me $76 and I had it done in 3hr. I think the door panels were about the same$75-$80.

Shadow Creek, Hank37 and G-son like this.
  24. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Great story, looks cool!

25. Oh boy! I opened my mouth and put my foot right in it. I want to emphasize how much I like what you accomplished overall. You did real good there, my friend.
    But the red vinyl boot reminds me of the Lokar shifter boot(s). Let me now proceed to insult half the hot rod world without meaning to. :oops: I've never been a fan of the Lokar boots in general. That just me. I know people buy 'em all the time. To me, the vinyl is not soft enough to drape the way quality, leather does.
    Did I mention how much I like your DIY upholstery project?!? :p :rolleyes:

This is the type I generally have for sale at my swap meet space. I'm very partial to this look.........
    DSCN1522.JPG

26. brady1929

brady1929

27. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

28. No worries, that style gives me flashbacks to working summers on the roof as a summer job when I was a kid. :rolleyes:

RoofFlashing.PNG

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    David Gersic likes this.
  29. akoutlaw

akoutlaw

I think your interior looks great! However I am not crazy on the white top cover. I would have went with black, but that is just my preference. Your work looks great though.

30. It's been white for the last 20yr so I couldn't see changing it.

akoutlaw and Hank37 like this.