Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Dubl-Duti lives!

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Alister, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Alister

Alister
    from Idaho

It has been a minute since I've been on here. Feels like coming home!

Anyway, I posted a long time ago about this old step van I wanted to get my mitts on... And I finally did. Here's the history:

IMG_0004.jpg

It's a 1950 Chevrolet 3942 Dubl-Duti with a Boyertown 10-ft step van body. Originally purchased by a Cornwell Tools dealer in the Twin Falls and Boise area, and used as his tool truck into the late '70s. He sold it to a gentleman around 1980, who didn't do much with it or to it, other than drive it here and there and use it for storage. Flash forward 30 years, and I discover it on my mail route, sitting alongside his house under the shade of an elderly maple. I struck up a conversation, came back to see if it'd start a week later (it didn't, but cranked fine and otherwise sounded ok). Offered what I felt was fair, and he accepted. Now, to earn the money.

Jump forward 7 years...

Lot of stuff happened between then and now. I'll leave it at that. Truck is still there, he's still selling to me - that's what matters.

Still can't get it to fire, and sounds like it's down a cylinder when cranking now. I'm thinking stuck valve or stuck rings; squirt of oil down each cylinder tells me it's a valve. So, I give him some money and pull the valve cover off. Sure enough - #6 exhaust valve is stuck wide open.

Head comes off, and I discovered that in addition to the stuck valve, #5 exhaust valve is burnt and looks like an apple in profile. Hm. Glad I pulled the head, now! I wire wheel the 60-some years of crud off and find that the head is a desirable (and common) 848 casting, which came out in 1956.

But it's a 1950... hm. Scrape off the pad behind the distributor, and sure enough, there's no prefix on the number. It's a '58-62 universal replacement block! So I have a full-pressure, precision bearing engine, and not the babbit engine it came with. Little disappointed the bores didn't measure 3 3/4" (261ci), but hey, I'm not complaining. 235s are great motors. Evidently, the engine and trans (now an SM420, versus the crash box it came with. The crossmember had to be torch-clearanced around the shift tower)

With the head diagnosed and minimal cylinder wear, I disassemble the head and send it to my machinist, Joe (Joe's Motor Machine, at 27th & State Street in Boise) for a good cleaning and the machine work. $100 to face all the valves, cut the damaged exhaust seat, a nearly-new exhaust valve, and six umbrella seals for the intakes, and it's ready to go back on. Add another $250 for fresh coolant and oil (who knew non-detergent SAE 30 was so damned expensive?), distributor cap and rotor, points and condenser, wires, plugs, gaskets, sealant, and some engine paint, we get to this:

I should point out she's running on carb cleaner, as the previous owner had the excellent foresight to drain all the fuel out when he parked it. Saves me a ton of work later! Next time out, I'll remove the fuel inlet from the pump and install a barb fitting to pull fresh gas from a can, and see if she won't drive around the block. Probably won't, so the kit for the Carter BB1 updraft carb (the COEs and forward control trucks used an updraft setup) is on order.

Why 'she'? I think she named herself Gladys. Dunno how or why, but it seems right.

But what about the brakes? No worries - pulled the master off a couple of months ago and overhauled it. Bled the brakes down, and they seem to work fine. She'll get a thorough inspection, repair, and new 7.50-17s before any trip longer than the circumference of the block!

Here's some of the work I've done so far:

IMG_0093.jpg
    IMG_0108.jpg

20190717_200925.jpg 20190717_200912.jpg
    20190721_151041.jpg

20190721_181726.jpg
    20190720_174206.jpg

A vintage (well, now it's vintage) Panelray stale air furnace was installed early on - it's the same type often found in '40s and '50s Airstream trailers. It's a basic one, with no thermostat (either off or on, manually controlled), but it's period to the truck, so I think I'll give it a mechanical resto and leave it be.

IMG_0087.jpg
    IMG_0090.jpg

Because tools are hard to sell from a cold truck? I'd agree the stock heater is woefully inadequate for our occasional -10F days!

There's also a retracting reel, accessible from the outside, with a 110v cord on it. No idea what it does/did! There's no block heater or other accessory installed. Have to trace it down next time.

And the spare tire is present, under the rear floor! Still holds air, too! Those are usually long gone...

Here's the plan for the future:
    - Either swap the 235 for the GMC 401M V6 I already have (but need to finish rebuilding), or try to locate a GMC/Detroit 4-53T with Jakes. Either engine will get a Clark 540-O 5-speed and Spicer 5381 divorced 3-speed behind it. 15 speeds, twin-stick, and double overdrive! I'm leaning towards the Detroit - N70s in a 53-series is a great way to lose tailgaters! Or paint them black. :)
    - Air ride and disc brakes.
    - Have the stock split rims removed in favor of medium truck rims, like common 17.5s. Want to keep the centers, as they have a great look and I love the stock hubcaps, but finding tires (and tubes and flaps) is a b*tch. Hate to get a blowout somewhere remote...
    - 12 volt conversion and an RV-style air conditioner. Because the damn thing is an oven on wheels.
    - Electric wipers.
    - Full set of gauges. Make a new panel to bolt in place of the stock one.
    - Frenched-in beehive or '59 Caddy taillights.
    - Rear wheel skirts.

Not sure whether I'll do patina or shiny yet. Kinda would like to do Cornwell's vintage paint scheme again, maybe get them to sponsor it. Or at least no sue me for putting their logo back on it.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  2. squirrel

squirrel

good story!

btw you need to save your images to your computer before you paste them into a post, because we can't see the google drive page that you linked to. They're all red Xs to me. You can edit your post to fix it.

knotheads, chryslerfan55 and Alister like this.
  3. Alister

Alister
    from Idaho

Yeah, oops. I don't actually have a computer at the moment - doing this from my smart phone. Also see it double-posted the images.I fiddle some more, see if I can get them to work. If a mod can help, I'm listening!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

phones are a bitch....you probably need to save the images to your phone, then upload them. If they're in Drive now.

chryslerfan55 likes this.

5. Alister

Alister
    from Idaho

Got it! Site doesn't like Firefox Focus, so switched browsers to Google and got it all uploaded.

chryslerfan55 and catdad49 like this.
  6. catdad49

catdad49

Great Save and Story, thanks.

chryslerfan55 and Alister like this.
  7. Alister

Alister
    from Idaho

Thanks!

Updates:
    - Rebuilt the fuel pump
    - Rebuilt the Carter BB1 carburetor
    - Installed the new condenser, since the old one finally gave out
    - Greased the f*ck out of everything
    - Changed the transmission and axle oil
    - Bled and adjusted the brakes again

The result:

Runs really, really well and pulls surprisingly strong for a 'mere' 100 hp or so. Trans felt great, no off noises from it or the rear.

Water pump started to leak, so off to find a kit for that. Next up will be fixing the pump and seeing to the parking brake. Pedal won't move, so something is froze up. Nothing a little (lot) of Marvel and a bigass hammer can't fix!

Then, I'll move on to the electrical. Probably convert to 12 volt, and definitely convert to electric wipers.

Gladys seemed a fitting name. :)

8. Alister

Alister
    from Idaho

Incidentally, anyone have a source for these? I'm missing one amber clip light lens, and one of the headlight bezels and turn signal lens is as you see. Both are stamped "Deitz". Headlights are 7".

Interesting, because I have a couple of prewar Deitz kerosene lanterns!
    20190818_174517.jpg 20190818_174517.jpg 20190818_174508.jpg 20190818_174503.jpg
    Also looking for a set of 5 19.5 x 5.25 steelies to replace the stock split rim 17s. Bolt pattern is 8 on 6.5.

Thanks guys!

Okie Pete and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. Alister

Alister
    from Idaho

You know, the more I look at this and think about the short drive I took, the more I kinda want to leave her alone. There's something about the feel and simplicity of a vintage truck...

I think I'll revise my earlier mods list:
    - Keep the stovebolt, but may swap for a 261 I have a line on. Definitely will need some power upgrades. Maybe source another intake to mod into a dual- or triple-updraft setup? (the shape of the doghouse prohibits a typical downdraft intake) Three Carter BB1s would look kinda cool, and keep outside appearances stock while picking up some extra power.

- Fabricate headers. None of the aftermarket manifolds or headers will work with an updraft intake.

- Keep the SM420, but add that Spicer 5831 to gain an overdrive.

- Modern gauges, build a panel to bolt in place of of the original, plus a 12v upgrade and electric wipers.

- Disc brakes, maybe the 19.5 inch wheels.

Generally, just make it more liveable and address some of the weaknesses the original had.

Thoughts?

10. manyolcars

manyolcars

That thing is definitely a traditional hotrod.
    sarc/off

11. Alister

Alister
    from Idaho

Kind of what I was thinking: take what's there and make it better, just like we did in the old days. Really, really traditional - parts don't exist for this thing, so I'll have to make my own!

12. I’ve gotta ask, what’s the purpose/use for the truck? Just a neat old ride to goof around in?

13. Alister

Alister
    from Idaho

Mostly that, yeah. Lol

But it's a little of everything, I suppose. It'll be put to work occasionally as a toy/parts/dog hauler, and it's uncommon enough that it'd be a great conversation starter at local shows and meets. The hot rod stuff is more because I want to and it's a challenge, than any real hope it'll ever be a mountain-mover or race truck. If it'll keep up on the freeway, I'm happy. :)

14. catdad49

catdad49

Ol' Dub, looks like it belongs in a new Cars movie (pretty sure that there will be another). With that said, what do you think it would look like? Just a thought! Make it reliable and have Fun with it, I'm Sure it starts more than a few conversations.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    chryslerfan55 and Alister like this.
  15. Alister

Alister
    from Idaho

Right? I could see it as another old-timer, a bit like the Jeep character. Maybe voiced by Sam Eliot?

It does turn heads, for sure! Even that short jaunt around the block had a couple of people stop dead in their tracks to stare as I rumbled (and rattled and squeaked and groaned) by. I really don't want to mess with that! Leave it be, make it a bit more modern/liveable, and enjoy.

Okie Pete and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. 024B8D21-C362-4D4B-B98F-AA6975EC83CF.jpeg It reminds me of the truck from the movie “jeepers creepers”

Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  17. Just a thought here, would the running gear/suspension from a more modern (70’s-80’s)1/2-3/4 ton truck work as an up grade? should be cheap enough and would make driving and maintaining easier.

Alister and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. Alister

Alister
    from Idaho

It's been done, but I'm not sure how easy it is. I'd rather keep it original. At this point, I'm beginning to think of it as a little bit of SW Idaho history - so many locals know the truck when it's original owner was still selling Cornwell! Do some brake, engine and trans upgrades, then call it good.

It'll be interesting to see how I'll build a dual-updraft-carb intake. :)

Update:
    Rear wheel seals blown, rear wheel cylinders leaking, and a broken return spring on the left rear. Replaced the spring (thank you Jim!), Got new seals, waiting on the wheel cylinder kits.

Got the new water pump. Bearings were howling on the original. Bit of a wrestling match to get it out of there - have to take the radiator and core support loose, remove the pump and fan, THEN the radiator can come out. Now I know!
    Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Okie Pete and catdad49 like this.
  19. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

That thing is cool!

Alister likes this.
  20. Alister

Alister
    from Idaho

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  21. Alister

Alister
    from Idaho

20190910_193053.jpg

Welp, put that in, along with new rear wheel seals, and overhauled the rear wheel cylinders. No leaks, temp stays at a steady 180°, brakes work great again. Man, this thing runs just phenomenally well. Smooth, pulls... Well, let's just say it'll hit 50. Eventually. With a strong tailwind. Original muffler has quite a nice sound to it, too.

Took the air cleaner with me to clean up and see if I could find a K&N to fit it. Think it had an oil bath originally, but has this on it now:

20190914_175953.jpg

Okie Pete and catdad49 like this.
  22. Alister

Alister
    from Idaho

Update:

Truck is officially in my name. Installed new mirrors, the freshened air cleaner (with a new filter), replaced a damaged lifter, un-stuck the choke cable, and determined the generator isn't generating. Also inflated the tires. Little easier to steer now!

Took her for a jaunt around the block:

Let my buddy drive afterward, and scared the crap out of him, lol. He doesn't know old trucks nor how they behave!

Still runs great, and turns heads. The cop who came to do the VIN inspection really liked it, and gave me a line on a vintage DivCo for sale nearby. Ah, fellow car nuts!

23. Alister

Alister
    from Idaho

Update:

Working on electrical stuff now... and there's a lot to do! So far I've established that there are 3 relays for the horn, high beam, and one unknown. Got five lights to work (out of 28), sort of.

Generator won't charge, even after polarizing, so it's getting swapped for a 12si and the whole shebang converted to 12v. I like 6v fine - it did us well for 60 years! - But parts availability is lacking, and getting more expensive. As the original wiring is a mess, I do believe I'll build a new harness for the old gal myself.

I thought about buying a Painless (or American Autowire, or Carriage Works, or...) kit, but then what kinda hot rodder/do-it-yourselfer would I be? A quick web search turned up quite a few auto wire suppliers, and I've been buying solder-on stuff from Del City for years. I'll build a custom harness myself, and do it the way -I- want!

I'll let y'all know when the 3rd-degree burns and lacerations heal.

Or maybe I'll get those tires first. $220 a pop, with tubes and flaps. And I get the joy of installing them myself because I'm uncorruptably stupid/stubborn.

I'll let you know when the broken rib cage heals.

(Kidding aside, I'll head down to my buddy's shop to inflate them - he has a cage)

Any idea who might have some 12" AD Chevy hubcaps (1/2-tons use 9")? I've got one GMC one, and one badly rusted one that need replaced. And I need parts for the heater, which is a standalone unit like those used in big trucks and buses.

Okie Pete and Ford52PU like this.
  24. Alister

Alister
    from Idaho

Updates!

Restored the PanelRay heater, using my new HF abrasive blast cabinet (cheap, but after some fiddling and sealing, works fine for me).

Also restored the original electric horn, and an antique Reon air horn I picked up for $20. Thought it was steel or tin... but after bead blasting it clean, I discovered it's actually brass! No idea why it would've been painted like it was. Think it may have been a train horn at one time.

In the process of restoring the gas tank, now. Cleaned the ancient gas, varnish, and tar out with a gallon of Berryman carb cleaner (rotating the tank periodically to get all the sides), then followed up with a rinse and phosphoric acid to get the rust. Looks great, no leaks! No more gas can on the doghouse!

Ordered new taillights, a throttle cable, fuel sending unit (turns out, it uses the same sender as the '49-54 pickups), and gas cap. I'll take more progress pics when I go out next week, with a fresh can of propane for the heater.

Also discovered the hot-water heater originally installed in the truck is a Chrysler Comfort Master, normally found in '41-'48 Chryslers and DeSotos (but turned on its side)! Maybe a Boyertown thing? Brackets sure don't look homemade. Dunno! It stays, wherever it came from. 20191013_072134.jpeg 20191013_080102.jpeg 20191018_200945.jpeg 20191018_201009.jpeg 20191018_200952.jpeg 20191108_181855.jpeg 20191026_190055.jpeg

Okie Pete, '52 F-3 and catdad49 like this.
  25. noboD

noboD

The Boyertown truck body building is still there. It now houses Boyertown Antique car museum, one of my favorites. Of the app. 60 cars they have over half were built in Pa.

Ford52PU likes this.
  26. Alister

Alister
    from Idaho

Very cool! Wonder if I could get a 'birth certificate' for Gladys?

Lot of folks don't know that Pennsylvania was once home to almost as many auto manufacturers as Detroit.

27. Alister

Alister
    from Idaho

Update:

Got the vintage air horn I picked up to work. Will head out this weekend to find a place to mount it. Vid to come! Man, it sounds good!

Pulled the non-functional speedo out, and it's beyond repair (damaged clock spring, and looks like someone glued a makeshift needle onto the shaft, but got glue all inside the mechanism). Ordered the replacement, so should be installing it soon. While the housing is out, I'll strip it down and repaint it.

STILL waiting on the backordered fuel sending unit, so I can get the gas tank back in. Blew out the fuel lines last time with some carb cleaner, followed by compressed air, so they're good.

Next major mod - replaced the hacked-up steel diamond plate above the rear bumper with a fresh piece of aluminium diamond plate, so I can install the repop taillights.

More to come!

Okie Pete likes this.
  28. carbking

carbking

Quote "I think I'll revise my earlier mods list:
    - Keep the stovebolt, but may swap for a 261 I have a line on. Definitely will need some power upgrades. Maybe source another intake to mod into a dual- or triple-updraft setup? (the shape of the doghouse prohibits a typical downdraft intake) Three Carter BB1s would look kinda cool, and keep outside appearances stock while picking up some extra power." End quote

I love multiple carburetion; however:

Lets say you spend several thousand dollars on a 1953~1955 triple setup with the three Carter sidedrafts AND you can make it fit AND you do a perfect job of restoring, synchronizing, and adjusting the carburetors. You gain maybe 15 HP. No offense, but a homemade manifold that doesn't flow as well as the Corvette, and you could spend lots of dollars, and LOSE power! And the setup is completely hidden in the doghouse, so doesn't pass as eye candy.

Gain would be more by swapping the 235 for a 261.

Food for thought.

Jon.

29. Alister

Alister
    from Idaho

That's true, and they're all things I'm considering!

Side drafts won't work - they'll collide with the floor and pedal linkage. I'd have to build an updraft and score another Carter BB1 or two, in order to make things appear stock inside. Flowing and synching? No prob! Been a motorcycle mechanic for years, I own two multi-carb British cars and a dual-carb VW. I breathe through multiple carbs!

Lemme tell you some stories about getting ancient SUs to play nice...

A 261 would be ideal. Good bump in compression, mild cam, and second carb should get me to the 140-150hp range. Alternatively, I have been toying with the notion of a GMC/Detroit 4-53T. Wouldn't be a Stovebolt, but it'd still be period GM. The late 'Silver 53s' had factory ratings up to 285hp. I -think- it'd fit without major mods, if I find the right configuration (intake/exhaust sides, auxiliary drives, etc).

The only real problem with the Stovebolt is, that no matter what you do short of power adders or non-pump fuels, 200hp is about all you can get, and still be able to daily drive it comfortably. Otherwise, I'm inclined to keep it simple-ish and enjoy it.

Another alternative is swapping to a later 250 or 292, which came with 155 and 175hp, respectively. I've built a few, and 300hp isn't too hard, especially with the 292. Torque? Not a prob.

And last, I already have a GMC 401M V6, modded for a 4bbl. Already have the light truck bellhousing and flywheel. Not a drop-in, but that would definitely provide enough grunt (237hp, 440lb-ft stock)! Probably fit, too, since it's shorter (in height). Valve cover would be tucked under where the Stovebolt's manifolds are.

The general idea is to keep it old-school. No FI, no LS swaps, no Cummins swaps, and for SURE... no automatic trans.

Cheers!

Okie Pete likes this.
  30. Alister

Alister
    from Idaho

Ron Funkhouser and Okie Pete like this.