Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Small Diameter Steering Wheels i.e. Superior 500

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Richard D, Nov 5, 2008.

1. How long have they been around, and how small? I have one that is around 10" or 12"; I'm may need it to fit in the T roadster.

2. Muttley

Muttley

Mid to late '60's. I hope you have some strong arms, you will need them with a wheel that small. ;)

3. I have an old 13" "Superior Products" steering wheel in my '32 pickup with manual steering, and it's fine. A little work to steer it when you're not moving, but not bad at all as long as you're moving a little bit.

Dropping down to 10" would make steering 30% more difficult. I drove a friend's '70 Chevelle a few times with manual steering and a 10" steering wheel, and it was kind of a pain in the ass but a Chevelle is a heavier car.

If you need to drive with handcuffs on, you can get one of those 6" chain link steering wheels.

4. I know it will be a bitch at low speeds. My main concern is I want a period correct car, late 50s early 60s show rod.

5. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

run some skinny front tires..and go for the 12"

6. I don't think the 10" steering wheels got used much at all in any cars until a lot more cars came with power steering. I think the old 10" steering wheels you see in swap meets were used either on power steering lowriders in the late '60s and up, or on things like go-carts, and speedboats.

To me, a 10" steering wheel would give more of a 1970s vibe.

upspirate likes this.
  7. I have 5.60s up front. I have three or four of these wheels in various diameters, I was just wondering how early they were. Mine are all rubber grips. What about the metalflake acrylic wheels? When did these hit the scene?

8. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

I had a couple of the metalflake wheels in 1966.

9. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

ive seen lowrider pics in like 67 or 68 that had 8" wheels.. INSANE..

did i mention i want one?

10. Moon still makes 10" and 13.5" metalflake wheels, I wonder how old this design is?

11. alchemy

alchemy

Three-chrome-spoke wheels are as old as 1962. The Milner coupe had one, so that must be absolute proof, right? :)

60F250 likes this.
  12. Shit, you had me going for a second! That's the era I'm aiming for.

13. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

1964 Honest Charlies catalog is the oldest catalog that I have that lists them. Covico and Cragar are the only wheels listed in his 64 catalog.

If you've never tried to drive a car with a tiny wheel, I'd suggest getting a larger one unless it's a static display model.:D. I have and I'd hate to encounter an emergency requiring evasive action driving one. They are scary.

14. 31whitey

31whitey

I had a 14" bell(i think, need to post a pic and I.D. it) in the blue truck.

Its rad, small enough for the little channeled A cab, and it has a fat grip, you can palm it with your arm rigid and it steered great.

Well after finally scoring the last piece to put it back to its 1962 cofiguration, a 59 impala steering wheel like 17" or something....

I go crusing down the drive way see a break in traffic and make a left on to the street, over steer cause is so easy, and end up in the oncoming lane pointing at the curb, panic and over steer back and and now I'm heading toward the drainage ditch on the right....

Luckily I had just done my brake adj. and pumped and stopped short..

I was like "what the hell man" did I forget how to drive...really didnt dawn on me till this post that there was psychics involved.

15. I Googled Superior Performance Products with no luck. I remember having a 500 wheel on a go cart many years ago as well. Did they make anything else?

16. My boss had a Ford Courier PU truck with a 10" wheel...

2 rules, never parallel park or go around any bumpy corners.

17. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I had a 8 inch superior 500 blue metalflake wheel in my 63 Dodge in high school. I got it in the late 60s and still have it.I didnt have power steering but it really wasnt that bad to drive.

18. Thanks for the response.

19. Jamin

Jamin
    from Australia

I saw a guy walk past me at a swapmeet carrying one in his hand. I asked him mow much he paid for it, he said $10, so I offered him $20 and now it steers my mid 60's clinker hull! I love these wheels.

deadbeat likes this.
  20. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

21. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=285684

22. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

I think the smallest ones were for Go karts but were quickly picked up by car guys. And Karts started what 59-60 era? I know I had a 12 incher in my 27 T RPU in 64 ,steered just fine with 5.60s on the front.

23. Fordguy78

Fordguy78

I have a 11 1/4 inch in my truck that replaced the Grant Challenger and it's a brand new 3 spoke piece. I don't know if I'll be able to use if the power steering goes out.

24. Someone was always giving me an 8-10 inch (wheel) in the early '70s. I was always finding someone else to own them. I always hated them.
    Tried a 10 inch wheel in my '55 Victoria, first chug hole I hit twisted my wrist and I had to grab it with my other hand in the midst of trying to shift. Needless to say I missed the shift.

If they are foam grip wheels they are late 60s at the outside oldest.

There were flake wheels around in the early to mid '60s that I recall. I don't really remember Superior wheels before I moved back this way. Cal Custom and Covico were pretty much it. Perhaps JC Whittney had them, I just don't remember them. 12" wheels were real common but most of the fellas I knew prefered a 14-15". They just feel right.

25. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

The earlier 60s ones were a semi hard plastic. Black and white and mid 60s ? the flake ones.

26. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Ya wanna build arm strength? I put a 12" in an 68 bronco with 32" tires and a detroit in the back. It was a workout if you were going slow in the bush. A 10" in something with 5" wide tires would have been a huge upgrade in comfort.

27. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

28. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

I bought, what I think is a 10" one (can't remember off-hand) with black grip at a yard sale a while back. It was two old ladies, and it was originally off a dune buggy. They had the buggy for sale too. Looked like a fairly early buggy but probably 70s.

29. Colin HD

Colin HD

image.png I'm running an 8" wheel, it's the right size for the car.

Kan Kustom and mkebaird like this.