Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Distracted driver vs. Pontiac Tin Woody.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Right, supposedly the deal with "stated value" policies is in the case of a car being totaled they will pay either the stated value or, actual cash value, whichever is less. I've seen this movie before.

"Agreed upon" policies usually require some kind of appraisal. Stated value never made any sense to me. Hell, 'll just "state" my tetanus-rod is worth, oh, I dunno, say $100k sounds pretty good, and then get my brother in law to steal it.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry to hear this; I hope all turns out well for everyone. I drove my '51 on a 400 mile trip last week (most of it on the interstate), and I'll never do it again. My car's not the problem; the other drivers are. I am able to do 65 on the interstate (with a 65 MPH speed limit) no problem, but there was someone constantly on my tail, shootin' gaps, or other such dangerous moves.

3. chopped

chopped

I guess no one told you, 85 is the new 65.

4. I'd let the ass-hat hit me, then lawyer up, sue & own his sorry ass for the rest of his life.....

dirty old man likes this.
  5. 34Larry

34Larry

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    First of all words are inadequate for this happening, my expressed sorrow for your son, the young lady and your beautiful Poncho woodie wagon.

Secondly I just wanted to comment that I see these "bad creeps" around a lot, thinking they own the world.
    This one looks, and from the description of him wanting to kick ass, needs a judge to sentence him to a life time of dressing like a p***k and making him dress in a life sized condom at all times:eek: so those who come in contact with him know what he is. :)

6. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Another candidate for a good, country ass-whoopin'. The quest for the brave new Nerf society has created way too many punchable faces. I don't really care too much for violence, but some people just need a good tune-up to get their mind right.

7. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

With my luck, his net worth would be a pickup truck from the "BUY HERE - PAY HERE" car lot...

8. Any updates on your son or the young lady's condition? HRP

Deuces likes this.
  9. Brian I am so sorry to read about your son & the young woman & your fine woody. I do hope you & family are feeling somewhat better today. The woody looks pretty bad for a restoration, unless you have a sentimental attachment I myself would look in the classifieds for a replacement.
    As far as ol beer belly I agree let your lawyer beat him up. Just hope he has enough insurance to cover the damage he has created. The sons knee would be an important issue for sure. Hope everyone is better today, ya know us senior citizens take a while longer to recover. Thoughts & prayers go out to all. Better days ahead.
    Burn Out Bob

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  10. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

I agree, let the lawyer have at him. He is just not worth going to jail for X number of years! P.O.S. like him would not learn anything from a beating anyhow....

11. I drive my '59 Ford in traffic, not always crazy about doing so. People think old cars are slow, so they'll try everything to get in front of me. At 65 I can pass anyone like they are standing still. I have upgraded brakes, new safety glass, 3-point belts up front. The car is as safe as I can make it.

12. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Sucks to see but I'm glad you're ok and your son I'm sure will be soon.

Deuces and flynbrian48 like this.
  13. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Not much more that can be said here. I hope everyone has a speedy recovery. I absolutely hate to see stories like this but, it seems, that distracted driving is a sign of the times.

flynbrian48 likes this.
  14. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I may have mis-spoken. The car is insured for my stated value of $25K (they urged me to increase the value a couple years ago but I balked as we're insuring 5 cars now with Hagerty and the bill is, as Rolls Royce says, "adequate"), and they will cover that amount. I'm going to increase the Diamond T and the Roadster's coverage after this accident, they CAN happen to you.

dirty old man and chryslerfan55 like this.
  15. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Ha! I heard someone say that as I cruised around with my grandson Milo at the wheel. Thanks man, lives change in a second, enjoy what you have NOW.

16. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

so sad to look at... what do you suppose will become of the car?

Deuces likes this.
  17. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad to hear everyone survived, hoping all the healing is quick and complete.

I thought all these new-fangled vehicles had warning systems and automatic braking? People are getting too used to letting the car do the accident avoidance, while the driver (likely in this case) is trying to figure out what to do about his tiny penis.

Did you read the part about the car first getting hit on the right rear corner? Think about it, and maybe you can determine what the "equal but opposite reaction" would be regarding the direction the Pontiac would be thrust.

18. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Craig is home doing well. He'll be working from home, on crutches or a walker for a week, doing PT. The young lady, only 17, just got her license, was at the impound yard just before I was to get some effects from the wagon, the attendant told me she was OK but is now terrified to drive. I don't blame her...

19. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Copart has it. I didn't want anything to do with it. There's nothing salvable other than the visor and MAYBE the right front door. The front crossmember that supports the core support was driven into the crank pulley, the frame is bellied down, front and rear frame horns on the ground, spring hangers torn off, roof buckled, it's toast.

chryslerfan55, 49ratfink and loudbang like this.
  20. safetythird

safetythird

Sorry to hear. It sure looked like a beautiful ride.

21. I've calmed down a little since my last post. Common sense prevails! It was surely a blessing the injuries weren't more severe. It was such a beautiful car that I'm sure had a great personality & stories to tell. That's how I'd remember it.....

flynbrian48, chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  22. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I’m sorry to hear that it is beyond repair. It was a beautiful car. At least all the injuries were relatively minor.

23. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

The loss of the wagon is bad, no doubt. The real tragedy is a young man using a walker and a young lady scared senseless to drive again. Bright futures that are marred by one moment that will stay with them for a long while.
    Maybe an apology would at least comfort them for a moment, but that doesn't sound like the offenders style.

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

Sounds like the 1930 Packard Seth & Diane were in, that car got a FULL restoration and went on to win an AACA National First prize and the Packard Award after that wreck. Brian, hope everyone heals quickly and the wagon gets rebuilt or replaced. Bob

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  25. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh my! So glad y'all escaped worse injuries. Gotta be hard to see all that hard work gone in an instant and hard to say goodbye to an old friend. Also happy for your insurance situation.

26. Don't let the asshole off lightly. My son got rear ended like that, and it took over 3 years of therapy to recover to the point that he could walk without substantial knee pain.
    Even though he had no fault in the accident and the other driver was charged, his own insurance company attempted to short shrift him on a settlement. He had to hire his own lawyer and fight for years before the company settled on the courtroom steps.
    I hope it works out a lot better for you, but keep your cards close, and make certain there aren't any long term issues before you sign anything.
    Bob

27. Bob- Seth Pancoast? Yup, that's the Packard- amazing restoration and what should be the standard for antique/classic insurance for vehicle repair or replacement situations like Brian's!

Like I said, it's worth letting the powers that be help that gentleman understand that
    1) he is responsible for driving his 3000+lb vehicle, and being irresponsible (and getting obnoxious about it) can be quite costly
    2) it's mighty important to keep one's eyes on the road- lives depend on it
    3) limited production vehicles kept in that condition should be replaced with a match OR something of equal value.

My dad worked for Allstate as a paralegal in accident claims for 30+ years. back in the 90's, he was headed south on Broad Street in Philly and slowed down to stop at a light turning red... You guessed it- some lady plowed into him, got out of the car and started screaming at him for stopping- she had NEVER seen ANYONE stop at a light turning red!!!...:rolleyes:

28. The37Kid

The37Kid

I would think the insurance company would make a point of paying whatever it is to make things right. Just the advertising in print and word of mouth would be great advertising for them. So glad nobody was seriously injured. Bob

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  29. -Brent-

-Brent-

flynbrian48 and chryslerfan55 like this.