Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chopping 40s Sedanette

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Lines, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Lines

Lines
    from Germany

Hello,

has enybody got pictures or guidan of chopping Sedanettes from the 40S. I have a 46 Buick Sedanette wich I mam thinking about of chopping.
    thanks for any help and support.
    Greets Marcus

rodncustomdreams likes this.
  2. 34Phil

34Phil

3. Lines

Lines
    from Germany

Hi Phil, thanks.

4. BJR

BJR

When I did my 49 I cut the cowl and dropped the wipers and stock height glass down 2 1/2" below the hood. Pie cut the trunk lid. 1949 Buick first ride.jpg 49 Buick rear.jpg

alfin32, Gotgas, 296moon and 7 others like this.

5. Lines

Lines
    from Germany

What do you mean with pie cut?
    Have you got any pictures of the chopping?
    I would like to know what mistkes I could do buy cutting the roof.
    I had a look at several pictures and whant to understand why they cut the roof at those perticlar places. I know that chopping perticlar a sedanette isnt easy.

6. fortynut

fortynut

Chopping any car isn't easy. Unless, of course, your name was Dick Dean, who pretty much was chopping something every day. God rest his soul. His specialty was Mercs. What you are looking for is someone who does Sedanettes. My thinking is that if you haven't chopped one, you might find that someone who is going to do one and watch how they do it. Or, take a seminar with someone who does it professionally. Or, of you have the stones, have at it and see what you come up with. Hell, even if you have a lot of money In it, you're not going out to do plastic surgery. No one else is going to get hurt. And, remember it's the curved glass that will bite you in the keester.

7. Lines

Lines
    from Germany

Thanks, my biggest problem is that im lokated in Germany and its not common here to do a Top chop. I think the most peoüle here dont have the balls to do it.
    Most cars wich are around are bought in the states.

8. 296moon

296moon
    from england

9. TinWolf

TinWolf
    from Sweden

Hi Lines !
    Me and my buddy Stefan (owner) is doing his -48 Buick Roadmaster sedanette , we are just in the beginning of the cutting and lining his chop so no great tales to tell yet , se the slow progress so far at :
    https://public.fotki.com/TinWolf/cu...ndinavian-custom/stefans-48-buick-ro/topchop/
    Your Buick is a GM B-body with slanted B-pillars , Stefans -48 Buick Roadmaster is a GM C-body with straight B-pillar , big difference in size and design . Still I would imagine the similar hurdles . We will not hurry this chop so progress will be slow on the link but something to look into from time to time , if you haven't chopped a car before sedanettes is about as hard as they come , therefore not as common as coupes and carsontops , also very easy to mess up the flow of the lines , this chop is two+ years (spare time) in preparation before we made the first cut , the top was jumped in so the top skin was bucked the wrong way at one time so one winter went into straighten the top skin , bracing and fixtures took some time and then the figuring where to cut so all mating sections so they would match after the chop . I think a sedanette should flow in one smooth curve from the front of the roof to the back bumper , time will tell if its possible !
    Best of luck with your chop !
    Wolf

10. Lines

Lines
    from Germany

Hi Wolf ,
    thanks a lot. I have a 46 Buick Roadmaster in Progress.
    Youre pictures give me help where to cut. There are so many articles you can read about people chopping, but as looking at pictures doesnt tell why the cut in that place and shape.

Attached Files:

11. TinWolf

TinWolf
    from Sweden

We made some small progress on the trunklid last night , I have not taken any pictures yet but soon ... Ahh I misunderstood , 40S , I thought you had a Special , 40 being some model in the Special series , that's why I ranted on with different bodys in above , so you have a -46 Buick Roadmaster sedanette , that's exacly the same body as Stefans -48 Buick Roadmaster sedanette , he even use a -46 Buick grill in his -48 . Here before the chop !
    https://public.fotki.com/TinWolf/cu...ns-48-buick-ro/extended-skirts-/p8220048.html
    Wolf

12. '46 has flat glass

13. Lines

Lines
    from Germany

http://wwhttps://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/how-to-chop-a-1947-buick-sedanette-in-two-minutes.643541/
    http://wwhttps://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/how-to-chop-a-1947-buick-sedanette-in-two-minutes.643541/

Hi,
    Thanks for the contact Tin Wolf and the pictures. I found a few articles and pictures about chopped cars but most of them where already done.
    Above I put in two interesting builds. I think that the bodys are the same but both where build in different ways. Its interesting to watch and read would of been helpful if there was some information about the cutting lines why they where cut at those places.
    Perhaps someone could explaine the mesurements.

I ordered some books from Barris and others about chopping and early modificatin.

At the moment I am disambling the car ( interior and glass and taking of the paint) Ill have to send some pictures of progress soon.

Marcus (Lines)

14. fortynut

fortynut

Carl La Fong, I once traded for a Buick Sedanette. Some time passed before I could get back to the boneyard where it was located. There nothing left including the building where I made the deal. As it turns out the old man who owned the yard had died. Almost immediately afterwards the heirs sold the property to a developer. He sold.it, after clearing it off to a Kawasaki Dealer. Thus, this was the sum total of my experience with Sedanettes. My experience is with a Forty-Eight Ford Coupe that does have a slightly curved back glass. Thank you for calling attention to my error. I have read references to you, and respect your alacrity and knowledge of things Custom and Performance related.

15. BJR

BJR

By pie cut, I meant I cut a section out of the sides of the trunk lid which was wider in the front and the cuts met at a point at the rear lower center on the lid. Thus the piece removed looked like a slice of pie. I can't find any pictures of the process now, but if I come across them I will post them up.

16. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

17. Lines

Lines
    from Germany

Thanks for the posts.
    BJR, I found out wath is ment wit pie cutting now.

18. Lines

Lines
    from Germany

Hello to everybody,
    i wanted to pic this up again and hope that someone could help out and others wich are looking for info.
    I want to chop my 46 Buick Sedanette and looking for info about chopping a Sedanette ot Fleetline roof. I have looked through the builds here on hamb and in internet.
    We have a lot of peple here with huge knowledege in chopping and kustomizing.

I have found a good Viedeo ( in my opinion, with having any knowledge about chopping) on You tube about chopping a 48 cadillac. Similar design atleast the roof section seems to have the same dimension and roof lines

There are different ways to chop and I wanted to know the pro and contras of the way of chopping:

1. slizing in the roof (like in the video above)
    2. building a new section for the C pillar and most part over the rear window section
    3. the way a 50 chevy fleetline is chopped

All choppes look nice when they are finished but there isnt much info how it was done unfortunately.
    There are choppes from smooth to radical, perhaps someone could explaine the eara (history) typ when these where done.

Regards Marcus

296moon likes this.
  19. If the United States of America are to far away to chop your Buick you can try Tristan Kustomizing in Heerlen, Holland (Limburg). I don't have experience with him/them but heard good stories about them.

Hennie

20. BJR

BJR

If you cut the vertical part just ahead of the package tray that the back seat back is against, (like in the first video) the top of the seat will be above the package tray the amount of the chop when finished. I just cut and bent the package tray to fit the chop and left the seat back mount as is, so the seat fits like stock.

21. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

So your windshield and hood combination is pretty much like a 68 to 72 Corvette where the bottom of the windshield is below the rear leading edge of the hood (disregarding the vacuum operated door). With this being said, you did not have to cut the windshield and you can use the stock windshield gasket when replacing the windshield. Nothing wrong with that and it is a pretty good idea. Thanks for posting.

22. Lines

Lines
    from Germany

Hi Hennie,
    jes Tristan does good work indeed.
    But for me (and others) I wanted to know the pro and contra by chopping a roff in the surtain ways.
    For example: Why isnt a 46 Buick sedanette chopped like a 50 Chevy Fleetline. I havent seen a chop done like that.

23. Lines

Lines
    from Germany

BJR,
    yes that came up my mind after i saw the film too. But I have seen other choppes similar way and its mentioned to cut down the rear seat which I think its more work. I think there i an angled filler piece between rear window and package tray which you cut cut down.

24. Lines

Lines
    from Germany

This thread should only give examples in ways of chopping a sedanette / fleetlines.
    For me chopping a roof and sectioning is one of the biggest challenges. Cutting a roof goes fast but getting it back on to look right is the other.
    So keep posting for all beginners which want to chop.

25. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, Marcus;
    What, where, n how much you cut, depends on the specific "look" you're after.
    If you look closely at the side-view pics of the different cars, you'll notice a different silhouette on each.
    BJR n Stumpy are similar, in that the window tops create a nice arc compared to the lower window lines. I'd be willing to bet the roof wasn't sliced on either of those, & they maintained the oem curvature to the roof. Look real closely at Stumpy's pics, maybe he'll send you some more , or link to his build thread. I'd guess that the chop was an "angle chop", in that more was removed from the front than the rear, but in these cases, the look came out very pleasing to the eye, w/good proportions; instead of the odd-proportioned low-front n high-rear look, seen on some coupes n especially pickups. The chevy has a rearward wedge look to it, that requires slicing the roof, adding another roof/more metal, + the roof doesn't "flow" well, as the proportions are off, = a not-pleasing look to the eye. If you like that look, fine, do it, but the other 2 chops look like the factory could've done them, should've done them, - or more-like-it, they are the real versions of the factory illustrations used to sell (read: ads).
    Just something to consider.
    Marcus...

Lines likes this.
  26. Lines

Lines
    from Germany

When you cut out let's say 2,5" in the A pillar and 3" in the C pillar, the C pillar part on the roof will be more narrow than the body. The c pillar will be pushed out to meet the body again.
    Doesn't the curve of the roof come down by pulling the c pillars apart. I thought thats why you had to cut into the roof and lift it up again and angled it out to meet the rear section of the back window.
    Correct me if I think wrong!

Attached Files:

27. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Interesting stuff.

28. Lines

Lines
    from Germany

Thank you to Johan for providing his pictures of his 49 Buick.
    The roof was cut 3" in the A and C pillar. From the C pillar to the trunk it was angulated to about 2"
    The package tray was cut by the amount of chop and the rear seat too.

Attached Files:

296moon and OG lil E like this.