Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Places - Where did you guys Street Race when you were a kid ?..... Could be interesting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by corncobcoupe, Jan 14, 2019.

1. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

That looks like Humbolt County Dragway to me.

2. Dixon Bastie

Dixon Bastie

3. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

It is indeed. That's the only pic I have of his Mercury when it was "finished". We grew up about 15-20 miles away from Humboldt County Dragway. Dad took a bunch of pictures at Humboldt in the late '60s. I shared a bunch of his pics in the Iowa Dragstrips thread.

4. Dixon Bastie

Dixon Bastie

No, Midnight, I wasn't that sophisticated at that time. Flatheads, Y-blocks, and later FOMOCO muscle cars. Am from Minnesota - we even street raced in the winter. Nothing like winding it up at -15 .... sone guys even did it on snow tires.
    At least I had a speck of common sense, and just watched them.

midnightrider78 likes this.
  5. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

well, I haven't seen any of the Indiana boys chime in here, so I figured its my duty:rolleyes: I grew up in n.w. Indiana, and had the car sickness from the time I started to walk, the guys I used to hang around with all loved to street race, (made more money than the track) we had several spots. when things were hot we would switch up, chase street , clark road, industrial blvd, every now and then snick over to highland , or Hammond area, drag some of the rich kids out and take there money with a primered up piece! it was lots of fun till the man caught ya! and he did a couple times! miss those days! even after we started regularly at the track, still missed the excitement of the street.:D

silent rick and dan griffin like this.
  6. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Torrington, Connecticut. Raced either out on the Norfolk Road, 202 between Torrington and Bakerville and when the big guys came to town from Waterbury, New Haven and Newington and raced for cash it was RT 8 south.

Ah, the good old days.

Cliff Ramsdell

loudbang likes this.
  7. Here's how lucky I am, I heard about races at midnight and took my 61 Chevy to go watch. I was parked half a block from the racing when the cops ( 6 squad cars ) invaded at 12:30 a.m. They called a couple paddy wagons and roughly 20 people ( myself included ) were taken to the local precinct while my car stayed where it was. After about an hour and a lecture by a sergeant who was 10 years younger than me they released us with no charges at 2:00 a.m. and 2 1/2 miles away from my car and 40 degree temps. Needless to say after a long walk back to my car, freezing my ass off, ( jacket was in the car ) that was it for me for street racing. I officially figured out that I'm too old for this shit anymore.

8. Pinchi70

Pinchi70

We used to do our runs on San Fernando Road in front of the Juvenal Hall! Then over to Foothill and Last at Parthenia. This was in the 80's early 90's

kursplat, 31hotrodguy and Deuces like this.
  9. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

It's cool you have old videos, it reminds me of a video a good friend of mine had from the early 80s. He had his brother in law ride with him on an eighth mile pass at Humbolt County Raceway. The 64 Chrysler 300 ran low 11s so holding the 8mm camera and filming a pass was a challenge for a guy that never rode in anything fast. He got a great shot of the tree then 3 seconds of headliner and upper windshield. A 200 lbs Go Pro. :) Then he gathers it up for the big end.

John said that he scared the hell out of his wife's brother and he refused to do it again.
    RIP John

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    loudbang and Deuces like this.
  10. Mercman4life

Mercman4life

Well we had three places to run . It depended where the cops were watching. First was I-95 Before it opened to the public between Bristol twp. and Philadelphia. No two was Decature Street in Philly and last but not least was the steel mill road in Tullytown Pa. Haven't thought about these roads for a long time. Lots of good memories.

11. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

When I was in the Navy in the mid '70s, stationed in Norfolk, VA I lived off base in a place called Ocean View, consisted primarily of hookers, sailors, drug dealers and hookers. Raced my '70 SS Chevelle w/ 402, later my '70 340 Duster till I blew the four speed. Back then muscle cars were a dime a dozen and many a night would see them running on East Ocean View avenue.
    After that it was mainly any road leading out of Portsmouth and after I moved to San Diego in '96 it was Harbor Drive near 32nd street gate or Rosecranz ave on Point Loma. Rosecranz was the most fun because the sailors in their Camaros, Mustangs, Chargers et al didn't take that two color, big tire, kinda quiet ' 56 F100 seriously until they were too far behind to read the plates. Great fun!

12. Deuces

Deuces

Telegraph Rd. (US-24)....
    Back then we were running old 455 bops in Novas and GM clones..... Fun times with burning rubber.... :D:rolleyes:

31hotrodguy, chopped and loudbang like this.
  13. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Hell yes! Bolt together GM fun machines! The Buick 455 was the lightest of the bunch, right about even with a SBC, many a broken z28 10 bolt, along with torched TH350's, but great, cheap, fun ass cars. Omega's had to be the ultimate sleeper, with Apollo's close behind.

14. Deuces

Deuces

Yeah them were fun and reliable if you laid off the lead foot.... Had to use one to go too work... Only jumped on it once in a blue moon..... ;)
    I read allot of Car Craft back in those days with those good articles.... :D
    I might still have those.... :rolleyes:

31hotrodguy and loudbang like this.
  15. Telegraph Road south of Grand River to about Michigan Avenue, Redford Twp, Detroit,Dearborn Hts, Dearborn Michigan.

16. San Gabriel valley in the mid sixties had "pig farm road" off of north Peck Rd. in north El Monte. It was actually Clark St. and was just out of the city limits in an isolated, county strip of land that the L.A. County Sheriff didn't bother to patrol (no donut shop nearby). A lot of races originated at Bob's in Pasadena or Henry's drive-in in Arcadia.

31hotrodguy and Deuces like this.
  17. threewindaguy

threewindaguy

Surprised no one has mentioned Hall Street in St. Louis, Missouri. There were some fantastic races, crashes, alcohol, fuel dragsters, most anything showed up there. The cops tried for years to stop it. Finally they did. They turned on the fire hydrants and Hall Street racing was done in a week.

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  18. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Do you remember that funky used car lot across from pacers that had all the beat up muscle cars the sailors would sell for pennies before they shipped out? Lots of 4spd Camaros Firebirds and Chargers + Mach 1s:rolleyes:

OahuEli, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  19. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

On a paved stretch of a county road about one mile out of a small farm town. On the, "St. Joe Road". White start and finish lines painted on at a quarter of a mile distance. Local officer didn't seem to care, sometimes even watched. Always said, "boys will be boys". He was also known to have an occasional beer with us. Advantage of a small town in the middle of farm country.

20. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1949, all the "hot dogs"ran on old section of 2 lane road between Manchester & L.A. airport that was all bean fields.
    Guys with spotlights would be at each end & if cops showed they would flash lights & every body scattered.

31hotrodguy and Deuces like this.
  21. Scooterlee2198

Scooterlee2198
    from Kentucky

US 52 in Scioto Coutny, Ohio. AA Highway (State Route 10) Greenup-Lewis County, Kentucky. But cant confirm nor deny I have stopped.

22. The River Road was really Forest Lawn Dr and yes I went there along with all the kids from Bobs Big Boy Toluca Lake. You'd cruise Bobs challenge someone then head down to Forest Lawn dr. and race for $.

1stGrumpy, 31hotrodguy and loudbang like this.
  23. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One our LAR members was a LAPD motor cop back then, when riding with his superior, the superior stated he used to try & catch the "racers", Bob said "I know, I was one you were after"---Haaa!

24. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

If its the same one I'm thinking of, (near the Purple Onion Bar), a buddy of mine was going to buy a '67 SS Chevelle, 4 speed, gloss black if they could get the engine stop smoking. Unfortunately they couldn't but it wasn't on the lot long.

loudbang and lumpy 63 like this.
  25. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

McMinnville, Oregon in the 60's, we had 2 different places outside of town, Hill Road, and Peavine Road , that was very close to my home. Also, Hillsboro, Hwy 219, south of town, had 3 nice straight stretches, that were used often on weekends, lots of action !

loudbang likes this.
  26. racer_dave

racer_dave

Gutford Road, Jeffersonville IN. twisty road, 50' straight drop off to Silver Creek, no shoulder. From Blackiston Mill Rd to Providence High School.

loudbang likes this.
  27. Telegraph was the main drag for us. Of course there was Woodward north. But Airport was impressive. 2 lanes concrete with trailered full race cars, and eventually the bowls / cops.

loudbang likes this.
  28. 70sixpackBee

70sixpackBee

loudbang likes this.
  29. earlymopar

earlymopar

Newberg, Oregon in the 60's: Our drag racing was across the line in Marion county and closer to the town of St. Paul than it was to Newberg. It was never "street racing" but a great, straight-stretch of country road. There were summer nights at that time that had incredible attendance enough to make many formal weekend race events today jealous!

- EM

30. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

The Hill boys come to mind Greg!