Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Hudson Adventure

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Aug 9, 2019.

1. That is a lot of miles in an old car, 400+ per day. Back when we drove old cars we were putting maybe 100 miles a week on them and they were only 10-20 year old cars at the time.

2. rtp

rtp

Thanks we will all sleep better now.

Sent from my VS987 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. squirrel

squirrel

yeah, I have a modern aftermarket cruise control that I have installed for a short time on a bunch of different cars. My leg gets tired of holding in one spot for all day long ten days at a time. Keep in mind that most of these old cars aren't very comfortable to start with.

4. dwollam

dwollam

Jim, I saw the Hudson at the Nugget in Wendover but had no idea it was yours or that you were doing another LeMons! Wish I had known, would have looked you up to meet you.
    Enjoy following along on your adventures.

Dave

5. Thanks, Jim. I have thought of installing one on the '50 Buick. Was concerned it would be difficult and not reliable. BUT if you change one from car to car seems as if I am too worried. Maybe too chicken?:D. Care to share which one you use?

Thanks
    Ben

6. squirrel

squirrel

7. chryslerfan55 and dirty old man like this.
  8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

With a torque tube you shouldn't have a speed control issue!;)

teach'm and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

^^^^^^^^^^^???????????????

10. The last semi truck I drove had a cruse control and all the bells and whistles ect. back in the day keeping your foot on the pedal for about 500 miles a day was tiring. I have a bit of Jimmy leg in my right leg sometimes when I go to bed. And I think the accelerator pedal is the cause. Many trucks had a cable operated throttle. I have one on my 66 GMC pickup. Sometimes I ran hard and carried two log books. would finish my run and return home Zombied. Always called the wife and told her Is would be home in a few and to have her pants at Half Mast when I came thru the door. I would sleep a couple of days with intermittent breaks.

11. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

My old service truck had a throttle lock on it, so when using the pto or running the underhood air compressor you could raise the rpms and engage the throttle lock. I used that all the time for cruise control. You have to be careful though, it doesn't automatically disengage when you apply the brakes, you have to manually release it.

12. All right, be nice! :). Wanna race?

Ben

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  13. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Haha, I have a similar story. When I was in high school, one of my buddies had a girlfriend whose folks had a cabin on a lake about 40 miles from town. They'd go there about every weekend. So, of course we'd go too, to hang out with her and her friends. He had a mid 50's GMC with a tired old six that would barely make 50 mph. Well, we were always in a hurry to get there, or to get home so we ran the old truck wide assed open at all times. Seemed like a lot of trouble to hold the throttle to the floor all the way, so we would pull out the hand throttle. That worked fine, except it would ease in slowly and we'd gradually slow down. The obvious solution was to pull it all the way out, then bend it a little so it couldn't go in by itself, haha. There usually wasn't a lot of traffic and thankfully, no "Giant Swamp Monsters" (moose) stepped out in front of us. Still there must have been angels on our shoulders because slowing down or stopping was not something that happened immediately, haha.

Thanks for the tour Jim.

14. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Farmers and ranchers used to set throttle lock to put the truck in a slow crawl across the fields or pasture and then climb out of the cab into the truck bed to throw bales of hay or whatever to feed cattle and horses. Probably not OSHA approved.

15. RHRH3P

RHRH3P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That’s an amazing amount of miles. Thanks for sharing the adventure.

16. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Where you hiding it or is that cable that comes from lower passenger side of firewall @ about a 40 degree angle upward then 180's back downward it?
    [​IMG]

1947knuck and chryslerfan55 like this.
  17. 48fordor

48fordor
    from York, PA

1947knuck, kiwijeff, j-jock and 3 others like this.
  18. squirrel

squirrel

I have the 51 shop manual, got it from the previous owner...an original....

The clutch is pretty wild on these things, I finally got to see one in real life yesterday at Al's place. He was working ona 50 Commodore and had the parts on his work bench. Very interesting.

The cruise is shown in that picture, the box on the left side of the picture, bolted to the inner fender. The cable is kind of funky but it works.

19. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

Some fantastic ideas ......

20. Been ther & done that only dad& I husked corn by hand in the field. Ours was a home made truck from a 4dr T

21. I have used two cruise control units from Monkey-Wards on in my Jeep J-4000 & the other in a Winnie 30' motor home. They used a magnet also. I really liked them.

22. squirrel

squirrel

The older Perfect Circle cruise was a good one, I have pieces of a few but last time I tried to get one working, it didn't. They're a bit more complicated to install than the Globalcruise. They do pop up new in box at swap meets and ebay every now and then.

1947knuck, Old wolf and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. I was just about to make a comment about your fine head of hair .

24. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

In the photo ; the radiator patch seems to be holding up. #win

25. squirrel

squirrel

yeah, no problems with the radiator, fortunately! I got a few comments on the JB Weld repair, most favorable.

1947knuck, catdad49, Old wolf and 2 others like this.
  26. belair

belair

Looks like a mobile guillotine if that hood goes down.

Old wolf and chryslerfan55 like this.
  27. squirrel

squirrel

The hood supports work very well, it does not want to fall down. It's a design I wish other companies had copied.

28. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Newton that apples were fine until...

29. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That Rube Goldberg mousetrap windshield wiper setup with the cables and pulleys reminds me of the entrance to a fat girl's house. No steps or handrails, just a ramp with pulleys and chain hoists.

chryslerfan55 and williebill like this.
  30. squirrel

squirrel

I made a video about that a while ago...notice it works pretty well with no wiper arms!