Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What was your best mistake ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 41rodderz, Aug 20, 2019.

1. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Wether you just happen to stop in somewhere and bought a part, a project or tool let's hear it .

dana barlow likes this.
  2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I stopped in at a garage sale out of the blue (out running errands) and ended up with a commercial band saw $60, SBC Enderle fuel injection complete unit $40, and a Rockwell magnetic drill

quick85, Texas Webb and 56don like this.
  3. A couple of recent ones come to mind. I answered an ad and bought a practically new 2X4 Edelbrock SBC manifold in Enduroshine for $40. Then a couple of weeks back I went to a swap meet and the first stop I saw 2 C2 Corvette headlight motors. They can bring from 2 to 4 hundred each.....I paid $10 for both of them and when tested, both worked. I actually needed one of them so I am happy..:D

41rodderz likes this.
  4. pragmatist

pragmatist

Bought a second racecar while still racing the first. Paid $300.00 Stripped it of everything of value and sold it for $1500.00 to a sports bar to hang on the wall. Twelve years later stopped by and bought it back for $100.00 and sold it on line for $1000.00:p:p

weps, Hnstray, Texas Webb and 2 others like this.

5. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

6. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Great deals.:cool:

7. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The secret is making The Right Mistake.

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

went to a swap meet years back and bought a '50 Chevy PU that had tons of work done but, was a project - had been looking for a truck for my wife - but, could not pass up on the price - another right place, terrific price, for a finished Fairlane with built 390 at another swap meet - sometimes nice to have a Hot Rod that you can just go out enjoy

41rodderz likes this.
  9. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

One garage sale, I went to look a vintage m metal toys and casually asked about any vintage car parts. He said he had a couple of original mint 1940 Lincoln Zephyr headlight lenses with "Zephyr " in the glass. He had to dig in his shed but found them. Well packed. 20 dollar bill and Bob's your uncle.

weps and quick85 like this.
  10. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

Painting my car with JD Blitz SHIT.

11. I got out of bed today.

partsdawg and Texas Webb like this.
  12. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

:p

13. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

Older Snap-On tool cabinet. $40

14. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

:cool: I had a similar garage sale find ; Snap On top $40.00. Slid out of his truck and po'ed him.

15. 2nd marriage,just a mistake.The divorce was the best part:).

Hnstray likes this.
  16. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Hey we have that exact experience. Just like owning a boat. First and last days are the best.

Hnstray and Texas Webb like this.
  17. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Marrying a gal who likes hot rods as much as me! The mistake was the getting married part, we should’ve just lived together these 42 years, I’d had more money! Can’t complain too much, we’ve survived 42 years, the loss of a son, ups and downs, and we’re still together. Always told her she’s stuck with me, couldn’t take a bucket of shit and a mop and run me off!

belair likes this.
  18. I sold an aftermarket fiberglass Corvette bumper that I had kept from a previous project to a guy once and after talking to him a little bit about the car ended up buying the car and bumper back from him. I then spent a few months eating ramen noodles until I could get it done and sold... I was 19 and in college and my “cheap” first Corvette about broke me. I remember the day I sold it when I bought an old pickup and a tv. I was glad to be done with the vette. o_O

41rodderz, Atwater Mike and quick85 like this.
  19. racer_dave

racer_dave

Went to a hot rod/classic swap meet. there was one oval track racer there. he had 3 muncies converted to 2sp. It was raining, he wanted to leave but wanted to pay for his booth space. bought all 3 for $800 total. put one in my racecar, sold the other 2 , two weeks later at a racing swap meet for $800 each...

went to a racing swap meet, sold a bunch of parts. guy there bitching about the high cost of racing and getting out. nobody stopping to look at his car for sale. I offer him $1200 for it. full roller with body, quick change and exhaust. He yells SOLD... I come home with another racecar. Raced it 5 years sold it for $4500 as a roller. That's it in my avatar...

Best mistake... Got my girlfriend pregnant- got married, 20 years later, 3 great kids and I'm still racing and building cars as I please...

weps and 41rodderz like this.
  20. The girl that kept taking the chrome off the trailer ball.........

da34guy and Hnstray like this.
  21. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

:D

22. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Wanting to buy a Mustang as my first car. Seller backed out last minute so I went Chevy and never looked back. :D

belair and lumpy 63 like this.
  23. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

24. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

:cool:

25. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Not my mistake, I blame it solely on my (at the time) three year old nephew. So,
    it's 1973 and I'm babysitting my nephew. At 22, I don't know why I thought it'd be a
    good idea to sit for this kid, but I did. Out of boredom I decided to put some new
    speakers in my El Camino, so I plopped the squirt on the front seat with me and
    I crawled under the dash. Shortly, I started to hear this popping sound but didn't
    know what it was, and the car wasn't running. Finally I couldn't let it go any longer.
    I pulled myself up only to find my nephew poking holes in my new speakers with a
    screwdriver. I guess he liked the sound. I was angry for about a minute then decided
    it was actually kind of amusing. I still love that kid 46 years later like he was my own,
    I just won't let him in my car!

weps and Tri-power37 like this.
  26. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Ah yes, innocence can be funny but trouble
    :)

quick85 likes this.
  27. That's a easy one, Joining the Hamb! :D HRP

I had no idea it would turn into a addiction, just like the Deuce Disease! :rolleyes: HRP

da34guy and 41rodderz like this.
  28. Not Hamb related, but my 3 best:
    Bought a new 16' trailer (3100ish?)when I moved from Colorado to Texas. Made 11 trips from Colorado Springs to Amarillo before the final day with a 26' U-Haul truck. Kept the trailer for a few years, never used it, had it for sale for 2600. Had a hail storm, and the trailer sustained 2200 damage collected from the insurance company. A week or so later, I got a call on the trailer, and told the guy I was asking 2600 for it, but that was before the hail damage, so I could take some off the asking price. We agreed on 2300. So, new=3100, got 2200insurance and 2300 sale=1400 profit. The insurance add-on for the trailer was 7 bucks a year.
    Bought a 93 Ranger 4 wheel drive demo from the Ford dealer. Added a topper, kept it 2 years and traded it on a new Lincoln. Put 30k miles on it in that 2 years. Trade "value" was only 1900. less than I paid for it as a 4k mile demo , and the salesman called me an hour after we got home to tell me he had already sold it!
    This one you guys who are wondering what will happen to "all your stuff" after your gone can relate to.
    I was in the custom picture framing business for 25 years. I picked up a new upper end antique dealer as a new client when his previous framer retired. A year later we had just bought a new house, and a week after we closed, I got a call from that client saying his previous framer had died, and his sons were in town to "clean up estate matters". they would only be in town for 3 or 4 days, and were wanting to sell his shop contents. I went and looked. His shop was a 3 car garage, full of stuff. I looked for a half hour or so, and it became painfully obvious I wasn't going to have near enough cash to offer to buy the stuff. I went in the house and asked one of his sons to come out so I could show them what they had. I started pointing stuff out telling them what equiptment, etc. was worth, and after a few minutes, he said, "I'm assuming your telling me this because your not interested?" I said, it's not that, we just bought a house and I don't have much cash available. He asked how much, I told him 600 bucks. He said "sold", but you have got to take everything and clean out the garage. We don't have the time to deal with it, it'all going to Goodwill if you don't get it. What you don't want, haul it out to the sidewalk so trash collection will pick it up.
    14 trips with my van stacked to the ceiling, plus a few trips with a borrowed longbed. Picture framing equiptment, supplies, antiques, fabrics, all his homeowner tools , lawnmower, saws, power tools etc. In one hand I carried out one bundle of 1/8" "gold" fillet moulding, 600 feet that retailed for about 2.80 a foot, that I had used/sold over the next year. That alone was almost 3 times what I paid for the garage contents.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    56don and 41rodderz like this.
  29. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I agree on the hamb addiction. I was sitting on 157 posts and thinking what do I have to say. Now I am over 2400 and cannot stop. It's like I have to check in a dozen times or more a day. It's bad in a good way.

quick85 and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  30. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Sometimes , "the right place at the right time" is the best recipe.