Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Kit Car Registration (Florida) VIN

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LowCountry Mike, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Hello folks,
    Is there anyone in the Florida area that could shed some light on a confusing issue? The kit I'm working on has a sticker/label attached to the lower driver side windshield, and another one the passenger side of the frame. The code is alpha numeric and has 8 digits. It starts with "FLA" and is then followed by five numbers. Thoughts on what it could be?

I'm hoping that this is a number the builder used to register the car, but I haven't been able to cross that code to anything on the inter-webs. Since the car came with a bill of sale I imagine I'll have a fun time getting it registered in South Carolina without any history.

Anything you guys can add is greatly appreciated, and needed.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. evintho

evintho

Firstly, what kind of ‘kit car’ is it?
    Who is the manufacturer? Find out and call them. Every manufacturer has a registration # for their vehicles stamped somewhere on the car. They should be able to answer your question. Next, visit your local DMV and find out the procedure for registering a ‘kit car’. In California they’re known as Specially Constructed Vehicles (SPCNS). Every state is different.

3. AHotRod

AHotRod

4. alchemy

alchemy

Is your car done and has been licensed and driven? Sounds like you bought a fully finished "kit" that was plated in Florida, then sold to you with only a bill of sale. Why didn't the seller have the title? Did he steal it?

Lots of states give new numbers to cars for various reasons. Perfectly normal.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

First thing if the second link AHotrod gave doesn't work is to call or email the Florida DMV and ask for a yes/no answer. Is this a valid assigned Florida VIN? They cannot legally give you the name of who it was registered to and they most likely won't tell you what vehicle it was assigned to but they should be able to give you a yes or no answer.
    Someone on here who has run a vehicle though the process in Florida should be able to tell you what the Florida assembled vehicle vin tag looks like. Here in this state it is a metal tag that the WSP officer rivets to the frame with special/distinctive rivets. What they do in other states doesn't count here though. It may well be a sticker there.

6. Sorry guys, I should have provided a little more information.

- I don't think it was a purchased kit, more of a custom build with a glass body. I've sent pictures to speedway, but they weren't able to identify it.

- I'm guessing the car was built in Florida based off of the sticker, but I have no clue. I used the above referenced site to search the Fla database, and it didn't turn anything up. The car was purchased (bill of sale) from a friend of my parents after it was abandoned several months on their property. The previous owner of the car is a member of their family, and said the car had been registered in VA since then, but they aren't on "speaking terms" with the individual to clarify.

- The thought that it may have been stolen out of Fla. has crossed my mind, which is why I'm trying to figure out what this number is. At the very least, the Fla. registration should provide me with some information on the build.

I'm heading to the DMV today and I'm going to try and sort out the process for registering it in SC.

RS
    Mike

7. AHotRod

AHotRod

Then check with Virginia DMV first since it had registration there.

When you get it sorted out, your going to need to insure it and this is who I have been using for years.
    https://americancollectors.com/

8. alchemy

alchemy

Just because some family member isn't on speaking terms with the rightful owner, they don't have the right to sell the car. Sounds like the rightful owner might not even know where the car is. Maybe he thought it was still stored at the friend of your parents?

A car isn't really "abandoned" until proper notification is given to the owner. I'm sure each state has a procedure for doing that. And they all probably have a legal way for the property owner to take ownership of the abandoned car after correct procedures are followed. Sounds like your car had a few steps skipped.

Maybe a bonded title will be the only way to get title on this car.

9. evintho

evintho

Did the PO give his family permission to sell the car? It all sounds a little sketchy!
    I agree with contacting VA DMV. Maybe a good idea to try and contact the actual previous owner also.
    Good luck!

10. I think you may find that you are not the owner of that car! Whoever holds the title to it could have you charged with theft. Do NOT lose that bill of sale!!!

11. upspirate

upspirate

Above all, do not put any time working, nor money on this car until you get the paperwork settled!!!!!

12. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

Well I'm in the process of getting a Assigned VIN# for the 29T on the left and it is a paperwork pain here in Florida. The vehicle has to be titled as a "parts built vehicle" and requires a Statement of the Builder complete with bills of sale for the major components and inspection by a Compliance Inspector who will supply an assigned VIN before I can apply for a title, register, get insurance, or validate my YOM tag. The paperwork is very confusing to me and I am trying to get help from the Regional DMV office. Good luck......

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Truthfully I think you pooped in your messkit on this one. The minute the legal owner finds out that the car sold and finds out where it is he is going to show up on your door step right behind the sheriff with papers in hand looking for a stolen vehicle.
    If the seller didn't go by the numbers in getting legal possession of the car he had no right to sell it. He could have it impounded and towed off as an abandoned vehicle or he could in some states apply for a "sheriff's title because it had sat on his property for X period of time. If he didn't do the right paperwork he had no authority to sell the car.

gimpyshotrods and upspirate like this.
  14. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For those playing at home, posts #1, and #6 are exactly the situations that should leave you running screaming from a car deal, in all 50 US states.

16. The person holding the "TITLE" of that car can have YOU charged with theft !

I hope you have NOT put any $$$ into this thing yet.

A scribble on a piece of paper saying I sell you this car don't mean shit !

gimpyshotrods and upspirate like this.
  17. southcross2631

southcross2631

That's probably an assigned Florida number from the state after the original owner went to the trouble of getting a homebuilt vehicle title. Is it a plate riveted on the frame or a hand stamped number ?
    If you have a friend who is a cop get him to run a stolen check on the number.
    You might be able to get a bonded title for an abandoned vehicle. Do not spend any money for repairs or parts or you will kiss them goodbye if the rightful owner shows up. You will also have to explain how you got the car to the cops.

upspirate likes this.
  18. All,
    Thanks for the sound advice. The PO is the related to my parents friend (we'll call her Bert), who was renting to own one of her 7 homes. He was paying the mortgage directly to the bank, "got into drugs" and defaulted. A year later, the bank seized the home, and Bert was given 6 months to clear all personal property off of the lot. The PO was notified in writing to remove all items from the property by date X. Date X came and went, and two months later I was called about removing the car, and was provided a BOS stating that the property was abandoned, and the PO failed to remove it within the provided time.

I know several police officers, one of which is my brother. I'll shoot that FLA number to several of them to make sure there's nothing crazy going on. The only money I've spent on the car was the money I paid to rent a trailer to transport it. I would have zero issues delivering it to the rightful owner if that's where this leads. Again, thanks for all of the information. You guys have been in this game a lot longer than me, and I value both your advice and experience(s). RS, Mike

AHotRod and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  19. Might read up on abandoned vehicles in your state. One may get a title that way.. we can here in AZ

Considering how said vehicle was dealt with, It may have been retitled in your state from FL.

http://www.scdmvonline.com/Forms-And-Manuals

20. alchemy

alchemy

Make sure the state the car was in doesn't require more documentation before the property owner can sell the car. The property owner might have to be the person that gets a new title.

21. All,
    A very happy update. I had the FLA number, and engine number (only two identifying numbers on the car) ran through all of the systems at the Sheriffs office to verify its not stolen. The officer called me today to say there's nothing out there for it. He also volunteered to sign the VIN Verification form that SC DMV requires stating the VIN has been searched for a previous title. And then let me know he is a notary if I needed one! Cool guy!

There's seven forms I have to fill out, and then take a ton of pictures of the car. That's all that's standing in my way....of a lot of work. Thanks again for the advice & guidance.

RS
    Mike

upspirate and AHotRod like this.
  22. Cool! Sounds like you dodged the bullet with this one. I have more fun driving my T bucket than any old car that I have owned, and that's been quite a few...

23. AHotRod

AHotRod

Keep us updated as you travel through this adventure Mike.

24. A Boner

A Boner

Bring it to Wisconsn. The Government here will throw away all the paperwork you have and assign some Wisconsin Government number. Hope it has fenders.

25. A fiberglass part with an "FL" and a few numbers is off of a boat.
    I have been through the title process a few times in Florida.
    The first time I came across a form that needs to be filled out for the DMV.
    In this form you are required to get the VIN and odometer verified.
    After reading the fine print a few times it indicated that the VIN odometer verification could be down by a used car dealer. Ha Ha...... Took my speedo and VIN plate to a friend and he signed off on the form and I had my title the next day. BYW: I had stopped into three DMV offices before I found someone that knew the process.

26. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Would it be a good idea to post photos of the car in question to help get info.
    from folks who might recognize the car?

27. Good luck, it is a PITA to get a title in South Carolina with out bill of sale, I will not buy a car with a bos unless it is accompanied with a title.

I sold a car to a fellow hamber in Georgia and he registered the car, got a title for the car and I bought it back, this is after I fought with the DMV for more than a year. HRP