Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Pontiac 6x2 Photo Request

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 32Stoker, Aug 20, 2019.

1. 32Stoker

32Stoker

Could someone with a built/functioning Pontiac engine who is running either an Edelbrock X-2 or MLP6 6x2 Intake be so kind as to share photos?

I am particularly interested in seeing the areas around the water crossover/pump, distributor, and carb linkage.

Need for reference as I am planning to build my own with six Stromberg 97’s and direct linkage.

Thanks much!!
    Jg

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    loudbang and Deuces like this.
  2. fordflambe

fordflambe

Rochester s sitting on stromberg adapters..........here you go............

AUT_1915.JPG AUT_1917.JPG AUT_1918.JPG 6x2 with front drive.jpg distributor clearance.JPG carbs.JPG IMG_1309.JPG IMG_1315.JPG IMG_1317.JPG IMG_1318.JPG IMG_1319.JPG IMG_1320.JPG IMG_1360.JPG IMG_1567.JPG top of water pump to intake clearance.JPG IMG_1569.JPG adapters..........here you go............

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    Tim, hrm2k, Jibs and 8 others like this.
  3. fordflambe

fordflambe

lower, center, front of intake is close to edelbrock water pump (picture above). I assume a stock waterpump will fit.

loudbang likes this.
  4. fordflambe

fordflambe

I made the spacer block under the water neck and drilled and tapped for temp sender.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    loudbang likes this.

5. fordflambe

fordflambe

distributor is Mallory Unilite.......it's the smallest diameter i could find. You can get a new one from Mallory if thats what you want to run.

loudbang likes this.
  6. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

A stock 55-56 Pontiac distributer will fit perfect.ran mine with a pertronix in it. my motor is a 57 347 in a 29 roadster .ill get pics tomorrow

loudbang likes this.
  7. 32Stoker

32Stoker

Thanks Fordflambe! Greatly appreciated. What is the diameter on your Mallory?

loudbang likes this.
  8. fordflambe

fordflambe

I'm torn between whether to be snarky or just give you the answer...............So that when you read below, you may understand the context of my response.

True story - One day when i was about 10, my dad told me it was time to make a choice that would be important for the rest of my life. He said....

"Son, now is when you have to choose which you want to be for the rest of your life. You need to decide if you want to be a "Smart-ass" or a "Dumb-ass". So which do you want to be?"

So with that said, here is your answer..............

Mallory Unilite
    unilite.JPG

MSD Pro
    MSD_Pro.JPG

You're Welcome!

loudbang likes this.
  9. fordflambe

fordflambe

Thanks wheeltramp, And just for an additional data point. The engine i am showing above is a 64' Catalina 389 in a 48' Pontiac convertible.
    Mar_14_2019_6x2s.JPG

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  10. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

Here's some pics if my x2.took it off the car a couple years ago.ill find a pic of it on the car later.and here's SOME of my Pontiac speed parts 20190821_180716.jpg 20190821_180659.jpg 20190821_180641.jpg 20190821_180629.jpg 20190821_180423.jpg

11. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Stock points distributor triggering a MSD or one of the other CD boxes. It is the most versatile ignitions going. You can even run locked timing by just removing the springs to the weights and have start retard from the points spring.

-Stock distributor with a good set of Accel points. Keep the condenser in there but disconnect it. You can reconnect it if the CD box goes bad, 12 volts to the points is okay for a few miles..

-Look for an old MSD6AL or a Mark 10 CD box..

-If running mechanical advance, find out how far you can advance the ignition before you have starting issues. Then back it off 2 degrees and make that your initial. Then limit the mechanical to give you your full ignition number. Most cars are between 30 to 38...

Those multi carb set ups like positive, stable, ignition timing. I always removed the vacuum advance with them..

fordflambe and loudbang like this.
  12. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I always liked the 64 Pontiac 389. I used to hammer two freeze plugs into each exhaust crossover hole to keep the intake cool, works like magic! You will need a choke cable if using a choke..

fordflambe and loudbang like this.
  13. fordflambe

fordflambe

Those multi carb set ups like positive, stable, ignition timing. I always removed the vacuum advance with them..[/QUOTE]

This 64' 389 is just stock. I have a t-56 behind it. I have not been into the engine but it came with a 4bbl installed. It is interesting the engine actually runs very well with this 6x2 set up. It may be because i have the six-speed behind it but engine is not sluggish at all.

That intake has no exhaust cross over so i only had to address making sure the intake gasket would seal around the exhaust port in the head. I didn't think about a freeze plug.........thats a great idea!..........Thanks for sharing.

At idle, the carbs get ice cold............never expected that.

Elcohaulic and loudbang like this.
  14. 32Stoker

32Stoker

Update on my project...

I decided to buy/modify a (pre-1964) Edelbrock MLP6 6x2 intake. My goal is to mate this with a set of (post-1964) 87cc RPM Aluminum heads.

Planning to run six Stromberg 97’s on direct linkage, Hunt HEI distributor locked out to 23 degrees of mechanical advance, and MSD Master Blaster II Coil. No CD ignition box or rev limiter. Simple/street-able...

The intake will require considerable modification, but that’s what machine shops are for.

3F2000D8-5DD1-404F-BCF1-5B3FE6665912.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    loudbang likes this.
  15. fordflambe

fordflambe

I had considered that option also. My plan was to cut the front flanges off of the MLP6 intake and use a KRE water crossover. However there is misalignment on the intake to later head in the intake runner area. A lot of welding/modification can take care of this if you have the where-with-all..........Much has been written about this and documented on the InterWebs (and on HAMB too)..............I went so far as to purchase early intake gaskets and later intake gaskets and over-layed them with each other to see if you could make gaskets work. After talking with Charlie Price about my intake options, he said the Edelbrock X-1 was what he ran on his SBC and is very responsive and tunable. I chose the Pontiac X-2 for those reasons and when i blow my car apart for final build, i will just lower compression and use the early heads.....

If you can come up with a reasonably affordable solution to running the early intakes on later heads, you can make some money $$$$$$$$$!

watercrossover.JPG

loudbang likes this.
  16. 32Stoker

32Stoker

Yep, I have a different version of this same independent crossover. Mine is smooth —- no bosses on top.

I am working a good machine shop who does Aluminum welding and knows how to reshape drag style intakes.

Hope this works!

loudbang and fordflambe like this.
  17. And if there's enough humidity in the air they'll actually ice-up. Make sure you've got a good throttle return spring. :eek:

loudbang and fordflambe like this.