Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 6V alternators

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A_Burly_Wind, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Anyone swapped to one of these? https://www.qualitypowerauto.com/item_24/6-Volt-Alternators-Positive-Ground.htm I know most say just switch over to 12v but I really have no need to. I dont intend on adding any stereo stuff or the like and just want better charging than the gen offers. I can swap to a alternator for 30 bucks over what a local rebuild on a gen costs so figured why not. Also anyone have info on correctly wiring one of these things? wiring is a weakness for me so i want to make sure i have exact instructions to do it right.

2. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I have a 6 volt alternator on my 29 Model A, based on a GM one wire just has a different regulator, been on there for over 20 years. Also had one on my 53 Merc, sold it to a friend in the mid 90's and he is still running it. Several early Ford vendors sell them.

A_Burly_Wind likes this.
  3. aircap

aircap

Many Studebaker guys use the GM 1 wire alternator on their 6 volt systems. On my '49 Champion with the six, I used an alternator adjustment brace off a 70's Camaro and bolted it right on - no problem. Worked great! Only cost about $75 post paid to my house from the seller (this was almost 20 years ago). A Model A guy told me about it. I remember when I downshifted that smaller diameter pulley would really sing! All the lights would stay bright while idling at a stoplight, too.

A_Burly_Wind likes this.
  4. Awesome! Im going this route for sure. time to play the wait on the UPS man game