Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Relocate wheel bolts in model a drum

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by bangerbob, Aug 20, 2019.

1. bangerbob

bangerbob

2. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Don't think Ford ever had a 6 hole wire wheel, those might be Chevrolet wheels. As far as I know they Ford from 26 thru 48 was 5 on 5 1/2 except some of the truck wheels and even 28 -29 AA that had wire wheels were 5 on 5 1/2 .

Boneyard51 and gimpyshotrods like this.
  3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's not a Ford wheel. Fords were hub-mound 1903-1927, and 5-on-5-1/2" until 1935, when Henry went nuts, and switched to 5-on-10-3/4". From 1940-1948, it was back to 5-on-1-1/2". Then it was 5-on-4-1/2.

Chevy's, except for a few 5-lug ones ('34-'36 Standard-6), were 6-lug, until just after WWII (1948). Then it was 5-on-4-3/4"

Any decent machinist can perform the repatterning; however, I do not know if the wheels you have require any special support from the drums.

I am pretty sure those are 1930-1933 Chevy wheels.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    Hnstray likes this.
  4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

In reply to the OP's question....apparently not.......

however, if I recall correctly, the Model A hub flange is 'disc like'. That being the case, it lends itself to drilling new lug bolt holes.

If you are determined to use those (probably Chevy) wheels, you can either lay out the pattern and drill the new holes, or take them to machine shop.

Ray

5. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Model A Gomez : '28-'29 AA were the big truck pattern like up through WWII, not 5 on 5-1/2( I have a '28 AA & was able to use mid '30s BB truck wheels as they had the same pattern)

6. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

It's really not worth the trouble. Go out and find Ford wheels. They're still out there.

7. bangerbob

bangerbob

Thanks to all for the information I will get the hubs drilled. The wheels were to good of a deal to not buy.

Sent from my SM-J337P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Not saying it can't be done, especially if the bolt circle diameters are different by an inch or more, but......... The spacing between the holes will be the issue. One of the new holes will be very close to an existing one. Maybe too close.

9. clem

clem

That’s because they are Chev rims.
    Maybe consider selling them and buying Ford ones, possibly easier solution ?

Boneyard51 likes this.
  10. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Some of the early 28 Model A's had split rim wire wheels with the 5 on 5 1/2 pattern, they went to Budd wheels during the year.

Attached Files:

11. azmodela

azmodela
    from Tucson, AZ

Where do you live? If we're in the same town I want to make sure I'm not on the road when you are. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

12. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

M A G : I have an EARLY '28 AA truck that came with the split rim 20" wire wheels. Your pictures(especially the 2nd one) show that they have the same large bolt pattern(roughly 5 X 7") as the later Budd wheels on all 4 corners. 5 x 5-1/2 were on the cars.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  13. If your hell bent to do this be sure the wheel center lays flat on the Ford drum.

Hnstray likes this.
  14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

You have a lot more reason to be concerned about the high mileage, poorly maintained and uninsured shitboxes you share the road with every day than you do this proposed modification. Some posts rightly pointed out areas of concern, that if dealt with properly, address safety issues. In principle, there is nothing new here. Changing wheel bolt patterns on hubs is commonly done with no adverse effects.

Ray

Andy and Boneyard51 like this.
  15. bangerbob

bangerbob

Thanks Ray, not to rocket science. I will look at the mount surfaces to make sure no issues.
    I ordered a template to check for hole placement problems.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  16. gimpyshotrods and Hnstray like this.
  17. azmodela

azmodela
    from Tucson, AZ

You're right, and this isn't any different. You're taking 80 year old hubs and drum combos, and redrilling in a different pattern. The poster admits that cost is a concern, which is why he isn't buying the wheels that actually fit. Add in the 20's - 40's era Ford hubs and drums have two wheel mounting surfaces. It looks like the Chevy rims have only one. I've done redrilling to fit different bolt patterns, mainly VW to fit Porsche, but those hubs are completely different than these. To each his own, I'm glad I won't be on the road with this.

KoolKat-57 likes this.
  18. You can always weld the old holes shut and machine the hubs to fit before drilling the new holes for the studs. Unless you are a machinist, I would not try this at home...

19. bangerbob

bangerbob

My bolt pattern plates will arrive soon. I will look at all the factors to see if feasible. My machinest friend built a v-12 from 2 overhead cam 6 bangers and it runs!!!

20. jimvette59

jimvette59

Watch the hub contact, the hub must make contact the brake drum or the wheel will distort .