Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I think I can fix that!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Doug Hines, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

Thanks again for all the support. I admit I was a little hesitant to put it up for viewing. Their are so many very gifted fabricators doing such amazing work out on this forum. And I will take the guy in coveralls (Vincent) for a ride. He has been over to the house several times and looked at my progress. He only lives a few blocks away.

Attached Files:

2. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

I should have included these at the beginning of the thread. The 1st picture was the 1st time I saw the one. I did not even know about the shopped one on the ground until I went out there with Vincent. You can't see it from the road side.

Attached Files:

3. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

I had to rebuild the area around the deck lid. I used the 90 degree bends off an old clothes dryer I was going to throw away. I ordered a deck lid skin re-pop and stiffened it up with additional layers of sheet metal and an internal cross brace. The other car I got in the deal had a real cool metal roof screwed onto it. It took me a while to figure out that it was hand cut from some donor car with a chisel. You could tell by looking at the edges of the cut. I transplanted it onto this car and used the original full radius head screws. It looks like it has been there for 50 years.

Attached Files:

4. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

You are making trash into treasure. I bet the PO is both glad and jealous at what you are accomplishing.

sko_ford, Runnin shine and loudbang like this.
  5. AHotRod

AHotRod

Way to go Doug !
    Suggestion: When posting your pictures, choose the LARGE picture option, ALL of us will love you more.

Hot Rods Rule the World !

harpo1313 and loudbang like this.
  6. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

Large Pictures. Will do. Speaking of jealousy, I had the local small town banker walk across the street to tell me that he had been trying to buy those cars from Vincent for 40 years. I kept waiting for him to smile and laugh but he didn't. Seemed kind of pissed. I just don't think anyone had ever really taken the time to show Vincent what they are worth and make him a fair offer.

7. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

Thanks for telling your story and posting pictures. You're making great progress!

soonrodder and loudbang like this.
  8. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

9. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

I found some spokies and I really like them. I set the discs aside for now. I also had some 16" truck tires that I got in a swap for some other stuff laying around. They will work until I can buy some 16" bias plys. IMG_0340.JPG IMG_0339.JPG

rbrewer, Tim, wcben and 8 others like this.
  10. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

Then it was time to set that flatty in there and see how she fits. I built the frame about 3 inches longer than a Model A so I would have a little more room. It was pretty tight. Don't know were that extra space went? Then I trimmed the firewall out using the back of the engine as a template. The F1 box cleared the Millworks headers real nice. IMG_0364.JPG IMG_0373.JPG

Driver50x, rbrewer, cktasto and 12 others like this.
  11. pumpman

pumpman

When I first saw your car's profile pic I wondered if you stretched the frame. It looks really good. Nice job man>

loudbang likes this.
  12. Vic Walter

Vic Walter

Serious undertaking Doug, I am impressed, keep the updates coming.

loudbang likes this.
  13. 1pickup

1pickup

Awesome build! Remove the firewall & reverse it. Should have the room you need.

loudbang likes this.
  14. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

You will get a much more comfortable ride with that frame stretch.

pitman and loudbang like this.
  15. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

I never thought of reversing the firewall. Too late now. Thanks for the idea 1pickup. More comfortable ride is good. I did not know it would do that. I think I was just trying to get a little more engine room when I did that. Make it more like a 32 length if I remember right. Anyone have an idea about how many inches to take out of an F1 steering column? Or maybe how close the steering wheel should be to the dash? IMG_0382.JPG

16. sunbeam

sunbeam

You got to like real steal I just cant get excited about glass.

loudbang likes this.
  17. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nic job Doug. Don’t worry about steering column length just yet. Get the pedals in , get the chosen seat in and sit in the car and see what position feels most comfortable for the wheel.

18. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

Sounds like a good plan Kiwi 4d

loudbang and hans mercman like this.
  19. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

Here are some pics of when I rolled it out of the garage to have a look in the sunlight.

Attached Files:

20. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

IMG_0216.JPG

This is the last time this car/truck was tagged. Notice it was a truck then.

21. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

I bought a case and a shifter from a guy over in El Dorado. I also bought a side shift 3 speed out of a 1940 ford. I got real lucky because the side shift trany looked like it had been rebuilt. Great internals. I put the guts of the side shift into the 78 case. Notice the odd casting number on this case. IMG_0279.JPG IMG_0285.JPG IMG_0291.JPG IMG_0314.JPG

22. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

IMG_0519.JPG IMG_0520.JPG IMG_0522.JPG

I pulled these Hoot-eye tube shocks off the F1 truck that it got the shock mounts off of. They still seem to work great. I didn't even know Houdaille made tube shocks back then.

23. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

Next I traded off those hair pins for some dog legs courtesy of my good friend Corky. They look much better. I ordered a hokey ass ebay 32 grill shell and it actually looks really nice. (especially if you have never seen a real one) I built a bracket to mount the C IMG_0545.JPG oldcase lowboy radiator to hold it all up. Notice the extra bolts in the pitman arm. If for any reason my welds were to fail, they are still bolted to the ends of the original shaft. I put in new end kits and fabbed rubber seals out of an old inner tube. IMG_0516.JPG IMG_0517.JPG IMG_0518.JPG

24. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Next step up front, headlight stands?
    Keep the updates coming
    Loving it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. 421-6Speed

421-6Speed

Nice project, keep up the progress...

loudbang likes this.
  26. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

I am glad you all are enjoying the pictures. I know very few people in the "real" offline world that understand what this car is and what I am trying to do. Most of my "car buddies" don't understand things this old. Not to sound like a snob, because 2 years ago I was in the same boat. Yes headlights. I bought these Two-lights for $60 up by Hutchinson KS. They work. I did not intend on using OEM lights but I like they way they look. I will admit that some of the stuff I like is probably not what is typically thought of as being on a hotrod (like the spokies), But I like the older looking stuff. The stands are just some Speedway parts. I decided to go with the chrome since the headlights are originals and still have chrome on them. IMG_0652.JPG IMG_0662.JPG IMG_0664.JPG IMG_0665.JPG

27. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

So sadly, it was time to blow it all back apart and weld up the motor mounts, radius rod brackets, tranny mount bracket ect. If I did not mention this already, I traded in those hairpins for some dog bones up front. IMG_0685.JPG

IMG_0680.JPG

28. Mart

Mart

Lights look very good. I have that type on my roadster.

Runnin shine likes this.
  29. Doug Hines

Doug Hines

I cut down my torque tube myself. The drive shaft required some help. After talking to several shops I decided to just do it locally. I have a friend that has a lathe and he turned the shaft down and pressed it into the coupler. I had it welded by a guy that welds for a living. Hated to not do it myself, but man what a hard part to get to if it breaks. I welded the pin in place that goes through the coupler and the drive shaft. Then bolted the other end of the coupler to the pinion shaft. IMG_0689.JPG IMG_0613.JPG IMG_0614.JPG IMG_0644.JPG

30. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

X2, but for my 32 pickup. I wanted that old look and got model As for the flat glass and 1” smaller diameter but still big lights.

phelan9251 likes this.