Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical A Question Of Manifold Destiny

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bandit Billy, Aug 15, 2019.

?

What finish for the intake?

Poll closed Aug 25, 2019.
  1. Polish it

24.0%
  2. Powder coat it black

26.0%
  3. leave it alone

50.0%
  1. 392

6F507D46-3821-4354-AD32-190F620CAE8C.jpeg Black. Mine wasn’t aluminum but you get the idea.

Bandit Billy and CudaChick1968 like this.
  2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I vote polish, then they can round those sharp edges over.

loudbang and 49ratfink like this.
  3. akoutlaw

akoutlaw

I would paint it for now. It would be easy to blast it back to it's natural finish later if you want to change. You could then decide to polish it later, but once you put all the time & $ to do that it would be hard to want to blast or paint it again. Powder coat will be harder to remove than paint, so I would paint it first to see if I liked the look. Then it would be simple to re blast it for powder coat. Just sayn.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  4. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Fate?? It's YOUR motor!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Besides, like also mentioned, it's a HEMI. The valve covers speak loudly, no one pays much attention to the manifold unless it has more than 1 carburetor....

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    Bandit Billy and Crazy Steve like this.
  5. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Since I am graciously spending your dollars without complaint, I still say polish it. It will look gorgeous sitting there.

Bandit Billy and loudbang like this.
  6. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Of all visible engine parts, I have the hardest time keeping an intake manifold looking spiffy, whether it be gas stains, heat riser burn or whatever.

There is some kind of tumbling or peening process they do on cast motorcycle engine parts, keeps the rough cast texture but seals all the pores and makes them a bit shiny, not flat like a bead blast finish. Lools nice amd shit washes off easily.

So my vote goes more to practicality, if it's going to be used.

loudbang likes this.
  7. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Manifold Destiny is a 1989 cookbook (ISBN 0679723374), its updated 1998 edition (ISBN 0375751408) and a 2008 update (ISBN 1416596232) on the subject of cooking on the surface of a car engine. It was written by Chris Maynard and Bill Scheller, a photographer and a travel writer who were also accomplished rally drivers. Though neither edition remained in print for very long, the book is considered something of a cult classic in the American culinary scene due to its unusual subject matter, combining local specialties ("ready-boughts") with recipes designed with various regional and ethnic inspirations in mind, as well as evaluations of representative cars available at the time of their suitability as cooking equipment. A measure of its cult status can be found on Amazon.com, where a search in May 2007 revealed that used copies of the book sold for four to ten times the cover price of the book. In addition, despite its somewhat humorous tone, it is often cited as the primary (or even only) reference on the subject of car engine cooking.

The authors claimed inspiration from a trip from Montreal to Boston, where the authors were inspired to keep a package of smoked meat from Schwartz's in Montreal hot by placing it in a secure spot on the car's engine block, having heard that it was said to be common for truckers to keep cans of soup hot by doing the same thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manifold_Destiny_(cookbook)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    Bandit Billy, loudbang and Hnstray like this.
  8. That's shot peening, but the aluminum will still stain, just not as easily.

9. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

My first thought was as cast. I don't leave them plain old aluminum though. I coat them with Rustoleum Stainless Steel Appliance Epoxy spray paint (Menards, local hardware store, etc.). Very light coats so there's no build up to speak of. Looks nice and easy to touch up. Pick of a couple below.

After looking at it closer, some of the posts above kind of changed my mind. It's too angular. It needs to be painted to match the rest of the engine.

I would be damned sure the black the powder coater has matches the black you already have on everything. Nothing looks worse than 2 different blacks side by side that don't match. There is an amazingly wide variety of blacks out there. From the gray side to the blue side of the spectrum.

JMO,
    SPark

intake1.jpg intake2.jpg intake2.jpg intake3.jpg intake5.jpg

10. Fordors

Fordors

“The authors claimed inspiration from a trip from Montreal to Boston.......”

I saw it done in the late ‘50’s-early ‘60’s and for sure it was done long before. No doubt they sold some books and enjoyed a few hot cooked meals on the road but they sure didn’t discover the concept.

11. Yea, black looks "stock" and blends in...........
    which is exactly why I say leave it as cast.

"I got a new tattoo, but it's skin colored." :confused:

12. X-cpe

X-cpe

It's a question of visual balance. Do you have enough background to make another shiny bit pop or do you need more background to make your existing shiny bits pop?

13. CudaChick1968

CudaChick1968

I just answered your PM before I saw this Billy. It's kind of a novel -- sorry -- but the more info you have now, the better decision you can make later. Feel free to give me a call if you have any questions about it.

Bandit Billy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I can spend someone elses money with the best of them, and BB, we know how you like to spend money so I vote with @GasserTodd, stop now and put a blower on that thing.
    I know you want to!
    A Hemi ain't a Hemi without a 671 on it.;)

15. After seeing your Roadster in person, I'm convinced you have good taste..you'll do it justice regardless.
    My vote would be black, I never went for the natural look on intakes.

Bandit Billy and CudaChick1968 like this.
  16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:cool:
    I had Russ Meaks over in Portland tumble an intake and heads for me that I used on my 396 Camaro, he cleared over the top to keep them from staining. I sold the car but they did wipe clean. I wasn't crazy about the finish, looked to much like they were painted IMO

I saw that and thank you, you know your stuff about powder coating. Do you do that edelbrock endurashine chrome?

No blower on this one, got to be wife friendly (thus the 4 speed automatic and AC). If it was in an open engine bay I would have anyway :cool:

I'm leaning toward gloss black with SS hardware and lines. I love polished aluminum though.

17. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Then follow thy heart, Grasshopper.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  18. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like the as cast or satin stainless.
    My idea for an air cleaner would be a lot different than others. The bottom would off something off the shelf but the top would be a repo off a 348 2-3 Chev or 2-4 409. The bigger the better. attaching the top would take some thinking but to me it would make the hemi look bigger....

Bandit Billy likes this.
  19. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^I was thinking about something like that chrome with dual snorkels, maybe even route cold air to them through the grille or inner fender. With hoses, not hard tubes. Hmmmm.

20. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Maybe find a nice early Mopar “starburst” air cleaner and chrome it. It would look totally unique and really *POP* against a painted intake.

32482FEB-C679-485C-81EF-79C0A2F90DEE.jpeg

These are oil bath type two barrel usually so you’d have to convert them to a dry filter four barrel first but you’d be the only one at the show with one.

Just an idea... ;)

Bandit Billy likes this.
  21. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They didn't claim to have discovered the concept. The article says: "...having heard that it was said to be common for truckers to keep cans of soup hot by doing the same thing...."

22. lake_harley

lake_harley

I agree on black too. If your engine weren't glossy I'd go satin or flat but that might be tacky looking with a glossy block. I'd also agree on paint rather than powder coat. If paint was good enough for your block why would you want to put (adjectives deleted) powder coat on it?

Lynn

Bandit Billy likes this.
  23. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I went through the same dilemma in relation to my original Edelbrock X1 cross ram, in the end I decided I'll bead blast it for OEM appearance and not bling it up.;)

Bandit Billy likes this.
  24. CudaChick1968

CudaChick1968

Billy, EndurShine is a different finish than powder and no one does it except Edelbrock.