Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help!! Model A buggy spring frustration

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by LedSled97, Aug 19, 2019.

1. LedSled97

LedSled97
    from Houlka, MS

I’m building my first hot rod a 1930 model a coupe mounted on deuce rails with a rear buggy spring cross member.

I bought a winters quick change for it from Brookeville roadster with all the brackets mounted on it ready to go.
    But I can’t seem to get the spring to attach to the axle I got it close compressing it with my forklift but it shouldn’t be this difficult to do in my opinion, and I don’t like putting that much pressure on it. Anyone have any tips or tricks? Any suggestion is better than none.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Have you tried a spring spreader? There is a lot of tension in a Model A rear spring, be safe.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. LedSled97

LedSled97
    from Houlka, MS

Didn’t know there was such a thing

4. chopndrop

chopndrop

Spring spreader. Or disassemble leaf pack, install main leaf, and reassemble...

5. goldmountain

goldmountain

If you don't have a spring spreader, disassemble the spring and hook up just the main leaf and then add the other ones using a C clamp.

Phil55Kratz likes this.
  6. manyolcars

manyolcars

this is correct

deathrowdave likes this.
  7. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

You can also disassemble the spring and mount the main leaf by itself into position where it has to go. Get a longer center bolt and a pair of good sturdy clamps and attach all the remaining spring leaves. Once the longer bolt is tight and the clamps are tightened down fully on the spring, then you can remove the longer bolt and put the original center bolt back in place. Be careful when disassembling the spring. There is a lot of spring pressure there, and those same two clamps will be required to be slowly backed off until the spring is apart.

8. LedSled97

LedSled97
    from Houlka, MS

Thanks for the help I’ll give that a try! Also when I was shifting things around the axle popped out of my quickchange. It’s brand new. Is there a key that holds it in place or what’s the best way to get it back in. I’m unfamiliar with quickchange rear ends. I’ve rebuilt modern rear ended but never a quickchange. This whole project has definitely been a learning experience

9. rusty valley

rusty valley

as others have said, do just the main leaf by itself first. however, when i do the whole spring intact, i hook up one side of the shackles, then place a hunk of 2x4 on top of the axle tubes and under the spring eyes, this will keep the shackle at a 45 * angle, then press down with my bobcat or your fork lift until the other shackle can be installed. works good with two people

10. Or build a spring spreader, it's easy and safer when dismantling a A rear spring.

Spring Spreader 005 (Medium).jpg Spring Spreader 022 (Medium).jpg

akoutlaw, patmanta and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. Phil55Kratz

Phil55Kratz

I did one leaf at a time and it’s super easy

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. baspinall

baspinall
    from SE PA