Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How much is enough for you?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rockable, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

guess whatever floats your boat, and have a deep wallet - as stated above, any fool can buy a new very high HP car - but, knowing how to drive it and when and where to use that power is another story - older Hot Rods that have high HP are usually built to be able to work with the HP - but, none of them do much good on congested stop'n'go roadways - who doesn't love the sound of a HP motor?

Deuces likes this.
  2. 1ton

1ton

But the newer cars with big HP also have modern steering and suspension geometry with giant disc brakes. Not like driving a 66 Dodge with 426 ci., shitty steering and drum brakes.

SlamIam, loudbang, Deuces and 4 others like this.
  3. "Look at me look at me"...it all about being first in line at the next stoplight....I putter to and from my 2 jobs with a 4 cylinder 5 speed...they roar by me and cut me off to turn in front of me....then I have to slow down for them...

I don't understand it either...

MikeC

LBCD, seb fontana, Texas Webb and 2 others like this.
  4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

My '40 Plymouth Business coupe with a '55 DeSoto 291 hemi in flat black with red interior with white piping and pin stripes was cool enough for me. My '27 T Tudor with a 240 six with 300 internals and a 4.88 cam will get me down the road and give me the rumpity rump my ears like to hear. but... I need an old truck ,so the '27 probably needs to go.

5. 1ton

1ton

And what's with all this penis talk. All I can say is high HP cars certainly help get the wrinkles out.

SlamIam, loudbang, i.rant and 6 others like this.
  6. 4tford

4tford

I like HP enough to feel it in your seat. What that is depends on the car I'm building. My current two cars have 400 plus HP and to me that's enough.

Deuces likes this.
  7. High horsepower.
    Just the natural transition to the ultimate goal in impracticality..which of course are what our Hot Rods really are, besides fun.
    I've always had the desire to do a blown engine in a Hot Rod, but so far my practical side has won that war.

badvolvo and olscrounger like this.
  8. Driving an underpowered Hot Rod is the same as dating a lesbian; you have the form but not the function. If the car doesn't raise your heart rate when you punch it, you don't have enough power.

As to the insurance thing, when I bought my DD '13 Mustang GT (420 HP) I asked how much more the insurance would cost me compared to a six-cylinder version. I was told at my age it didn't matter....

9. 47ragtop

47ragtop

You mean like this (in my red 40 ) ?

Attached Files:

10. chopped

chopped

Except we had to really drive, now it's a toe and a finger. No offence meant.

Ned Ludd, belair and Deuces like this.
  11. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are several videos of new Hellcats crashing while showing off . I'm sure there are Camaro and Mustang videos too. I expect that the insurance companies are taking notice and charging the appropriate premiums. Would I love to have 800 HP under my right foot?.....You bet but I'll just have to be happy with 300-400 and not crash into the curb like the knobs in the videos.

Deuces, lothiandon1940 and LAROKE like this.
  12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

That's funny right there, I don't care who you are!
    Credit to Larry the cable guy.

13. Because of overpopulation and high traffic, there is no place on the open road that you can actually use a lot of power anywhere near where I live so since I don't race and I am in my latter years, I find a car with about 350 HP is all that I need.

lothiandon1940, 62rebel and rockable like this.
  14. Like others have said; unless you are involved in drag racing, where do you get to use all that horsepower? 300hp or so does it for me... Of course my T weighs around 1700lbs, so it's all relative. I can't imagine driving this thing with a "blown big block " like some I've seen.

rockable likes this.
  15. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Couldn't agree more!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  16. flatout51

flatout51

It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

Sent from my SM-G977U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And now Deep Thoughts with Bandit Billy;
    Sometimes when I read through posts like these I'm transported back in time where gentlemen sitting around the barber shop (the internet chat room of the day) are going on about the new cars with their ridiculous 200 or 300HP when the 60 or 80 horses in their flatheads was all that was needed. Then I wake up and come to the realization that you guys are really old!

Ned Ludd, Chavezk21, brad2v and 14 others like this.
  18. RmK57

RmK57

Nowhere. If you get caught doing something stupid your really up shit creek, where I live anyways.
    I have around 530 hp in my 57 but drag race it at a track. On the street it gets driven the same way as my wife's 2014 Esacape.

Stogy and rockable like this.
  19. I'd love to try my car at an 1/8th mile track, it could be a lot of fun. The top end at a 1/4 mile track may be on the hairy edge for me.

Stogy likes this.
  20. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well my opinion about this current auto age would set off a shitstorm and ruin a perfectly good thread, so I will keep it to myself (doesn't belong on the HAMB anyway). But the factory high HP trend is a good thing, are you kidding me? Granted, a lot of folks are ill-equipped to handle 600 hp, but a lot of folks were ill-equipped for 400 hp back in the day.

Jim, I agree with you that we have no need for anything in excess of about 350 hp, but we're old men! How would we have felt about this 40 years ago?

Have a friend who traded in his Mercedes for a 600 hp Camaro a few years ago. He got rid of the Camaro within a year, scared him to death. But you know, for me, that is how I have always felt riding a 1000+ cc motorcycle - oh my god, I am on the edge of potential tragedy here - it is a great self-discipline lesson.

Stogy and rockable like this.
  21. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I don't know how much would be too much, I've never driven anything that had too much! Most of the time 200 is enough, but occasionally it is so much fun to push the loud pedal and feel that exhilaration brought about from excess HP that nothing else can match! As I get older, the need to do that becomes less frequent, but just the knowledge that it is there when I want to do it is nice. Just the sound of a high HP engine is often enough to satisfy me.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    Montana1, Stogy, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  22. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I like enough power that you need to consider the parts its connected to.....

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    Stogy, loudbang, bobss396 and 2 others like this.
  23. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Faster, faster, till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. :D Lippy

24. raven

raven

My hero is Carrol Shelby. Ford execs invited him to take a test drive in one of the new Shelby or GT Mustangs for a photo-op when he was like 90 years old. He gets in and proceeds to roast the tires in the Mustang all around the parking lot in full view of the nervous execs.
    So my roadster runs 10’s and I drive it responsibly on the road.
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Stogy, loudbang and rockable like this.
  25. 62rebel

62rebel

The current trend will collapse under pressure from the insurance industry. Same as it did at the start of the '70's. Insurance companies are going to either raise their rates on high hp vehicles or start denying coverage on them. There will always be people who can't handle that kind of power responsibly, and they are the ones who drive insurance up for everyone.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  26. I need enough HP to make me respect it. I don't want to go fast, I just want to get to 9 over the speed limit immediately! I'm currently driving a 2019 Challenger Scat Pack 392, with the wide body kit. It's a buddies car he wanted me to drive until he moved down here. It has around 500 HP, and that seems to be just right. The T-bucket on the other hand weights about 1/3 of the challenger, so I would imagine that 300 would be magical. R/S, Mike

loudbang likes this.
  27. goldmountain

goldmountain

I'm stuffing a non-HAMB friendly 1000cc engine in my '34 Austin. That should double its original horsepower.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Ned Ludd and raven like this.
  28. The37Kid

The37Kid

If you are totally honest with yourself all HAMB friendly cars are RESTORATIONS, how fast could anyone go before December 31st of 1965?

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  29. Deuces

Deuces

....and that's what worries me with my new car...

rockable and lothiandon1940 like this.
  30. chrisp

chrisp

I got my driver license suspended for 3 months for speeding in my Prius and it's only 75hp. Imagine what will happen with the hopefully 100hp 4 banger I'm building for my mild custom. So 400 or 800? I'll be banned from driving.

KKrod, bobss396 and rockable like this.