Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Distracted driver vs. Pontiac Tin Woody.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Aug 19, 2019.

1. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Look for an agreed value policy. I have Anpac. Hagerty and Grundy are also well known.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, egads and Deuces like this.
  2. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Damn. That sucks. Hope your son and the girl are ok. Looks like it was a pretty car, too. Too bad Asshat can’t be forced to hammer and dolly the damage out of it.

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  3. Hope everyone is doing ok, sorry to see that happened.. it's shame... I hope that dirtbag gets taken to the cleaners by the insurance companies involved.. hope he will get his financial ass beating soon.. again sorry to see that happened.. I get nervous everytime I'm in my 36.. looking in my rear view mirror and see people on the phone behind me and or playing with touch screen audio equipment in their car..

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Healing thoughts go out with all involved minus one ignorant SOB...I am glad that things weren't worse but despite that this was a brutal accident...

This will take some getting over that's for sure...One day at a time...

Deuces and Unique Rustorations like this.
  5. patterg2003

patterg2003

I was really concerned when I saw the first thread as the car was severely damaged & it looked very ominous. I wish your son a full & speedy recovery. Clearly the truck owner screwed up really bad & must have some personality disorder that he wants to fights his victims. Between those who can never put down their cell phone & the vehicles with touch screen control displays, they are making the roads worse.

dirty old man, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  6. Ziggster

Ziggster

What a damn shame. Glad to hear your son is out of the hospital. Let us know how the girl is doing if you have any info. Way too many distracted drivers today. Doubt very much he was playing with the radio.

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  7. Deuces

Deuces

:mad::(

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. ..............I've heard that statistic many times over the years and I guess it's quite accurate, but I think it's a misleading stat because if you think about it, most of us travel likely 90% of the time within 10 miles of home. Just my ramblings.

9. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If my experience is any indication, you will have agreement from Hagerty to pay you your stated value in just a day or two. A check will follow closely behind. No arguing, no haggling, they just say, "Yep, it's totalled. We will process the check for your insured amount."

Good Luck with everything you're dealing with!

10. Best wishes to Brian and his family. I have Hagerty too, went high on personal injury and liability coverage, a wise move and not expensive. I was hurt in my 2011 accident (new OT 2012 car..) and my late wife went with the bare bones minimums on everything. The other driver had the same too, so I walked away with a crappy award that does not reflect the 300+ doctor visits, appointments, back and neck injections I have endured.

11. So sorry to hear this Brain.:( But glad everyone will all okay! I really liked your woodie. You guys are in my prayers. But this got me thinking? I have full coverage as a stated amount. I'd also get the car back in case of an accident. So I'm pondering this. With the $$'s and, my good friend and {metal man} Craig Naff's help. I'd try and bring them back. I know I'm probably over thinking this. But for some of us, our old cars are like part of the family too. They can't be replaced with just $$'s or another car. So what I'm asking is, has this ever happen to anyone else? If so, and it wasn't your fault can you have them repair, or save the same Hot Rod. { what ever the cost is? } Again, I'm so happy that you guys will be okay, and that your son heals up real soon. Family and people do always come FIRST !! But can sentimential? have a value too? Especially when it's not your fault ? Be safe out there guys!!!!

12. GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy
    from Central IN

Yup - you gotta be diligent about glancing into the rearview when slowing or stopped in traffic, keeping some space in front of you for an out if necessary. My driving instructor drilled that into us years ago and it's a good habit to have, especially now.

Sorry, OP, hope you all heal and get the car fixed!

13. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Very sorry to hear. If your son sustained a knee injury please get a couple of opinions from credible orthopedic doctors. I am still suffering from a knee injury from a wreck back in 2003. I should have sought more advice but didn’t know any better and being younger I thought I would heal quickly. Multiple surgeries later and my knee is still f’d up. Not trying to scare you, I just don’t want your son to have long term impacts.

14. My biggest fear in this distracted world we live in...driving an old car and getting hit...

A couple of summers back we had a young lady in a Nissan SUV with 2 kids in her car run a stop sign just as a 1940 Ford coupe was driving through the intersection...the driver was retired and was just out getting breakfast with his wife...his steering column crushed his chest...he died at the scene...his wife ended up under the dash...still not sure what happened to her...one of our highway guys was right behind it and saw it happened...shook him up mentally pretty bad...

Glad you guys made it out alive...hope the guy that caused it all pays for everything including pain and suffering...

Prayers going to your family...

MikeC

15. When I left there I ended up behind a guy was doing 30-35 in a 55 zone. No idea what his issue was. Then we got to a left hand turn that was one lane in our direction, two in the other. At his massive rate of speed he apparently felt he needed to cross the double yellow into the oncoming lane. The motorcycle rider heading toward him in that lane did not look amused. As a rider myself I wasn't amused either. Icing on the cake was this guy was driving a bright red Corvette.

WTF is it with people?

Sorry this happened, I hope everyone recovers fast and well.

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

My best wishes to you and your family and the young lady involved in the accident for a speedy recovery. Hopefully the process of the legal matters will go smoothly so you can put this all behind you.
    I can’t imagine what you think as you look at your car in this condition,was such a nice piece that I admired from afar. Good luck.

Ron Funkhouser and chryslerfan55 like this.
  17. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Check your policy, that says what they’ll pay you (max) if they total the car.

Check with your agent on what happens if you want to buy the damaged remains of the car back. Generally, they’ll sell it to you, reducing the cash payout.

So, if they pay you $25K for the car, and sell it back to you for $5K, you have $20K to fix it, or spend on something else, or whatever.

That’s assuming you have an agreed value policy. And assuming that you’ve correctly valued your car. You don’t want to tell them that it’s a $5K car when it’d cost you $50K to replace it. It’s in your interest to push the value as high as you reasonably can. It’s in their interest to keep it lower. The result is a negotiation to arrive at a value number that you and the insurance company can agree on.

Your agent and the adjuster are not your friend, nor are they your enemy. If you want a friend, hire a lawyer.

The other guy will get his truck fixed, his insurance company will pay for it, up to the limits of his coverage. Your insurance company will pay you, then collect from his. His rates might go up, or they might drop him as a customer, but there’s not much pain coming his way.

Given what a “radio” looks like in a new truck these days, he could very well be telling the truth. My first TV had a smaller screen than these things, and only four knobs to control it. My wife’s not even new OT car has screens full of options and things I haven’t even found yet. Just changing the radio station safely, you need to park the car.

18. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Agreed. A friend of mine damaged his knees in a car accident 30 years ago. He still walks with a limp.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  19. AHotRod

AHotRod

I'm so sorry brother, SO thankful your ok, most important.

flynbrian48 and Deuces like this.
  20. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Sorry to hear about this. Hope your son gets better soon. Martyn

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55, flynbrian48 and Deuces like this.
  21. GLAD every ones alright.I hope everything works out with your car. Bruce.

catdad49 and Deuces like this.
  22. upspirate

upspirate

Not to hi-jack the thread, but it happened to me.
    The wreck was towed to a hot rod friend's body shop and when the adjuster came, he told my friend "I don't even know where to start on this". I had given him some Early Mopar catalogs and as a body guy/ rodder he walked the adjuster through the car.
    Took about 2 weeks for ins co to get back to me
    I had agreed upon value of 10,500, Insurance company came back with"Your appraisal is 2 years old"I though oh crap here it comes, but they said "we think it's worth $11,500 now"! I also asked about buying back and they said normally they do for 15%, but damage is so close to value and the car so old we'll sell it back for $1,000 and we know somebody will fix this so you can keep the title! (basically paid me for the damage).
    Originally they had said I could collect from the other party's ins as he was ticketed but if I collected from mine they would have to deduct the deductible. I decided that would be cheaper and easier than dealing with his ins and their legal team and State Farm could go after them instead to recoup the money. Turns out he had minimum liability and I would have only got $10,000 from them if full amount!
    My ins never applied the deductible either.
    This was with State Farm back in 1991 or so, everyday driver/agreed upon ins.
    scan0006.jpg

23. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Look at it this way Don, that 90% is where you’re at most of the time, so it would be the most likely place you’d have an accident, right? I think it’s probably based on the law of averages, the more you do something or are somewhere, the higher the odds of something happening than if you were somewhere else or doing something else. Insurance companies know averages and odds, and how to use them to their favor. If they didn’t, they wouldn’t be in business long.

24. fordflambe

fordflambe

Hurts to see such a neat ride hurt so badly. Glad everyone is OK.

We all need to take note. I drive all of mine everywhere and have had close calls from people wanting to take pics going down the road..........People with their heads up their ars are even worse.

25. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Mike, we have Hagerty insurance on all our cars, stated value. That means I pay a premium based on a value that I place on the car. They are going to write me a check for the stated amount, although they do have an adjuster examine the car, mainly in this case to make sure it is the same car I insured. I've had a couple of small claims, one on this very car after a car/deer collision just last month. Fate seems to have determined this was the cars last summer...

26. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Our solid lines, both center and shoulder, mean you can't cross them underway, i.e., no passing on whichever side, or both, in the center, likewise no passing on the shoulder. Doesn't mean we can't, in Michigan, cross them to turn either left or right. Of course crossing means you look out for traffic, or, in this instance, the big blue Ford oval where your rear window used to be...

27. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

LOL, I've had LOTS of offers to help the guy with a little attitude adjustment, but I think we'll let a team of lawyers beat on him instead. :cool:

28. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Thanks Martyn. Missed seeing at the Riot.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  29. XtechX

XtechX
    from Edmore, MI

Brian, I remember making a comment to my wife at the Relix Riot show "Hey there's Flynbrian's car from the hamb" when we were there. Sorry to hear about your wreck and I hope everyone heals fast.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  30. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I were you, I would check with your insurance company or agent and see what kind of coverage you actually have. "Stated Value" is NOT the same as "Agreed Value" and can be problematic. You really want "Agreed Value".