Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Quadrajets

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bryson lunger, Aug 19, 2019.

1. bryson lunger

bryson lunger

hey guys, I have a 68 Cadillac 472 and the carb is shot ( corroded beyond repair ) I’m trying to find the correct carb but the intake manifold of the 472 has some kind of exhaust passage near the front of the carb mounting area that they don’t all have. I don’t think just any rochester 4 barrel will bolt up. Don’t want to make a pricey mistake! Anyone know about these caddy parts?

Attached Files:

2. Joe H

Joe H

You are missing the stainless steel heat plate like these listed,231382551915 .

3. bryson lunger

bryson lunger

Thanks for the reply, so does that plate go direct to the manifold and block the passage? The gasket I took off is the same shape as the manifold. Or does the gasket go first, then the metal plate then carb and I could use just about any Rochester 4 barrel?

4. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

I have a similar cutout in front of my 331 ( 1953 ) also needing the metal plate , looked at the Ebay ads from Joe H , sent a request for info . my Cad only has 275 miles since complete Resto . I have been struggling with the carb functions , hoping maybe the metal plate will help ?

Deuces likes this.

5. I inserted small freeze plugs in manifold to keep exhaust heat away from carb. Then Felpro carb heat shield #60731. Also used a quarter inch phenolic spacer. Carb gasket is Felpro #60043.

Phil

Deuces and Hnstray like this.
  6. David Chandler

David Chandler

I've run into those on some Chevys. I usually tap them and screw in a plug. Then drill and tap from the outside, and install a small set screw, which keeps the plug from moving.

Deuces likes this.
  7. I think I used gaskets on both sides of plate. Hope that helps.

Phil

Hnstray likes this.
  8. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

I plugged that exhaust passage on my 429 Cad and added a spacer as well to reduce the heat to the carb. Runs great with no problem in cold weather. Admittedly it is not a regular driver car.

9. AHotRod

AHotRod