Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical steering wheel crack repair

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by msgt tank, Aug 18, 2019.

1. msgt tank

msgt tank

are you filling and painting the cracks in the steering wheel? are you covering it or have a new idea. not sure steering wheel non adhesive tape would look good. maybe leave it alone. shoot, thinking again.

2. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Take a file and "V" the cracks out to except PC7 epoxy, fill the cracks then sand down any excess then follow the usual paint prep procedures.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. msgt tank

msgt tank

Great idea Lone Star thanks.

4. Another repair that works really well, is using crazy glue and then add baking soda ( not powder). It will instantly become hard as rock. I have seen professionals, who work on musical instruments, use this combo combined with dust of the parent material, to make super strong repairs that are extremely durable and difficult to spot.
    Bob

5. 5window

5window

I'd like to know more about this method.

6. Here is a youtube link to fix guitar frets. There are hundreds of youtube videos detailing how to use super glue and baking soda to make a wide assortment of repairs, including an emergency repair of a radiator.

Bob

302GMC, mgtstumpy, 5window and 3 others like this.
  7. My steering wheel was cracked in many places, did the PC7 thing, primed, sanded and painted. Slowly the cracks are coming back. The car is manual steering, likely would have not cracked again with power steering.

msgt tank likes this.
  8. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I have had success with using the same parent material that the steering wheel is made from to do repairs. If you can find another damaged wheel, break off some of the plastic with some pliers and soak it some of this solvent. It will soften and melt the plastic, when the it dries it becomes hard again. It might look like a mess like a lead job, but file it down, sand, reshape, prep for paint. imageService.jpg

Outback, deluxester and msgt tank like this.
  9. 5window

5window

I used to use MEK when I worked in a pinch valve factory in high school. Great solvent, but super carcinogenic! You really want to wear personal protection equipment when you play with that stuff.

10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

'Crazy Glue'...('Hot Stuff') We used this a few years back ('80s) for finishing rough surfaces on what would become glasslike finishes on large scale wooden model airplanes. The 'gap-filling' qualities of baking soda were quickly replaced with much preferred 'Micro Balloons', (they look like baking soda, but 'finer'...Micro Balloons are a synthetic material, developed specifically for strength in filling; Sand smoother, yield a stronger finish.)
    Baking soda is a food staple, stonelike in structure, and would crack after a season.
    We'd buy Micro Balloons at Sheldon's Hobby Shop in San Jose. (now available on Amazon: Top Flite Micro Balloons, 8 oz., $9)

1983, My pal Doug and I were at a large shopping center in San Carlos, (great hobby shop there)
    Doug had some micro balloons in a zip lock bag in front seat of the Chev pickup.
    When we came out, it was gone. Some unsavory looking characters had been hanging around when we went in, but they were also gone, like the micro balloons.
    Wonder if they thought it was baking soda...or...:eek:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    j-jock and msgt tank like this.
  11. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

I used PC7 filler and after a few years cracks started to reappear. The Plymouth wheel was a type of hard rubber. Perhaps it works better on different material.

msgt tank likes this.
  12. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

V out the cracks, wet your finger and smear MARINETEX in the cracks. Lightly sand, prime and paint.....................

msgt tank likes this.
  13. 1pickup

1pickup

I tried using JB Weld. Cracks reappeared quickly. I wouldn't recommend it.

msgt tank and jazz1 like this.
  14. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Marine Tex , 2 part, at the boat store, harder than rocks.

msgt tank likes this.
  15. 5window

5window

How hard?
    Mineral Hardness Scales
    Mineral
    Mohs Vickers
    (kg/mm2)

Talc 1 27
    Gypsum 2 61
    Calcite 3 157
    Fluorite 4 315
    Apatite 5 535
    Orthoclase 6 817
    Quartz 7 1161
    Topaz 8 1567
    Corundum 9 2035
    Diamond 10 10000

Outback likes this.
  16. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

just basic rocks

NoSurf, redoxide, deluxester and 2 others like this.