Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Battle of MoKan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

The Battle of MoKan

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  2. flatout51

flatout51

It was still an absolute blast! No amount of Russian interference can stop good old American fun!!

Sent from my SM-G977U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

belair and loudbang like this.
  3. I hate to hear you and Miller were sick, I just thought the Russians were interested in Politics, now they want to Pee in the pool, we gotta outsmart them. HRP

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  4. pmdguy

pmdguy

The rain was a little frustrating at times but we did get in a few passes. Nobody's fault but mother nature, still had a great time! Tons of awesome cars and got to meet several other "HAMB" people, I will be back next year!!

5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I mean is it even the hamb drags if no ones puking?

Glad you all soldiered threw and had a fun time, weather be damned.

I knew you would :)

6. guyontheHAMB

guyontheHAMB
    from chicago

Thank you to all I met on the run from Chicago and all who had a hand in the H.A.M.B. Drags. Rain or not, I went to have a blast, see some badass cars and meet great people. My mission was accomplished.

7. First thing I thought when reading is Ryan's miladies may be self induced but I wouldn't think Millers ill's came from the overindulgence of adult libations.

Whatever the cause I do hope they both feel better soon. HRP

catdad49, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  8. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn Russians...

That was still a hell of a lot of fun. See you in a year.

-Abone.

9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

[​IMG]

Hope you're feeling better boss!

10. "Appreciate y'all!" ;)

flatout51, loudbang and Ryan like this.
  11. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

One of the reasons I love this event so much is that we always make the best of it, no matter what the Russian mother nature hands to us. I wasn't planning on racing, as I had even told quite a few people. The little roadster was never meant to be a drag car, of course. I didn't bring a helmet or bolt in my roll bar.

Then, during one of the rain delays, people started to clear out. I estimate about half of the cars remained and around that 16:00 mark, a short period of racing started again. Some of the Omaha crew talked me in to running up to the staging lanes to make a pass. It was only 1/8th mile, after all. @oldsboy let me borrow his helmet and I made a quick pass by myself. That rush of adrenaline lit the fire again. Next year it's on!

Before the final round of rain that ended the event, there was obvious excitement in the pits. We were told to line up in the staging lanes. No class divisions, just run against anyone. I think that really got some people fired up, seeing a chance to run against a buddy or another HAMB member they barely know.

Remember when there was more chatter and grudge racing talked about here on the HAMB during the weeks leading up to the Drags? It's up to all of us to make that happen again. @Ryan - What do you think about allowing a time slot next year for grudge racing and call-outs?

Thanks again for all of the hard work it takes to make this event happen!

hiboy32, 18n57, mctim64 and 10 others like this.
  12. alchemy

alchemy

I definitely thought the old-fashioned grudge racing was more fun then the class grouping. Just like the first few HAMB Drags. Guys running against the trash-talking buddies. '40 coupe against the other '40 coupes. Olds vs. Pontiacs. Finish it off with the old diggers.

13. Hi Ryan,
    That was an awesome blog post,,,,I really got a kick out of it!
    I have never sent a message to you before,,,but it is a fantastic site you have here.
    Glad to see you are a family man and you include them into the action.
    I am rarely surprised,,but this time I am happy that I have been.
    Thanks again.

Tommy

catdad49, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  14. @Kevin Lee and I “grudge matched” at least 3 times last year! He on his Triumph MC and me in my survivor roadster! We were fairly equally matched (slow) and it was probably the most fun I’ve had at the H.A.M.B. drags (and I’ve had some fun times!)
    Good clean fun!

hiboy32, Sancho, catdad49 and 2 others like this.
  15. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I still had a blast and got a nice bike ride in during the rain delay too. Thanks again, see you all next year!

Sancho and 504640 like this.
  16. flatout51

flatout51

I want a grudge match next year!
    Sent from my SM-G977U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and cactus1 like this.
  17. Butch M

Butch M

Ryan it was great to meet you and thanks for all the hard work you guys put in it was still a blast

18. silverdome

silverdome

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger with your illness. My stomach has been giving me fits since Friday, right before we left to pick up the grandkids and head for Joplin. Went to the doctor today and she said it has been going around all summer.

But I like your Russian conspiracy theory better, at least we have someone to blame that way. HA HA

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  19. BLAKE

BLAKE

The Austin Crew had a grand ol' time as always... thanks Team Cochran for all you guys do!!

Kevin Lee's rig got the Kontinentals' Cup at the event. His killer pickup toting the Wobbly Goblin drag bike, and Kevin thrashing the bike thru the slop at the track, had us grinning ear-to-ear most of the day.

A few lazy snaps taken from within 15 feet of where I sat all day -
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. Eric1967

Eric1967
    from Union, Mo

This was my first trip across the state to the HAMB drags. It did not disappoint. I had a great time with old friends and meet many new ones. Thanks for all the hard work

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. catdad49

catdad49

Did those "agents" confiscate all the cameras?! Come on, guys (for us unfortunates)!

Tim likes this.
  22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

23. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

We still had a good time as well. I was happy to ma FB_IMG_1562538879865.jpg ke my 330' pass in this ol pig.

24. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

How cool that you made it with that! Was really digging that car after I saw a link to it here on the hamb.

At 330’ were the tail lights past the staging beam when you finished your run?

trailer-Ed likes this.
  25. catdad49

catdad49

26. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Thanks Ryan for putting on an event where I get to see so many friends every year. I finally have my story and a link to my gallery up on my site here for anyone who wants to see.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Like so many things I see here on the H.A.M.B. I wanna go someday. :cool:

Damaged1 likes this.
  28. I've made it to every one. Not always in a HAMB friendly car, but sometimes I do manage to get a HAMB friendly car there. This year I wanted to drive my Roadster down, that didn't happen. Then I thought about towing it, but didn't want to take up space at the hotel that someone with a race car could use. So I didn't bring it. I had planned to leave Saturday by 5pm anyway, I wanted to go to another event 3 hours away, and I did. I left at 4pm. Even with the rain it was a great weekend. Hung out with Rocky and Raven, as well as a few others. I sat and watched the guys get the motorcycle running at midnight in front of the hotel, I guess I sat there for a few hours eating peanuts. Great time, rain or shine.

cactus1 likes this.
  29. hotrodlane

hotrodlane

It was fun, Got to see some good friends and made some good buys on much needed parts. I almost died from laughing my ass off when everyone Darted for the gate when that second little rain started up.

30. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

A couple of things:

1. I think we need to make it more obvious that you can grudge race anytime ya want during the trial period. Maybe a separate "Grudge Race Round" should be added. I like that idea.

2. I've never taken the classes all that seriously at all. The competition aspect of the racing has always been downplayed as I don't want it to be a focus... Less fun that way. BUT, the last couple of years I've seen a few cars that were in radically inappropriate classes. For instance, I think I saw a mini-tubbed F1 in the Stock Car class this year? And I've seen all kinds of cars in the GC/S class that weren't street legal. I think all dedicated race cars should be in the Comp classes.

In any regard, I need to do a better job making sure folks get in the right class... and do it without creating too much of a competitive environment... There's nothing to win at the HAMB Drags really.

Oh... and as for my son. NO, he wasn't drinking. Come on man...

I got some kind of a bug on Friday night that destroyed me for about 18 hours. We thought it was food poisoning of some kind and then my son got it on Saturday night. He literally got out of bed at around midnight, sleep walked out of our room and down the main hall of the hotel, threw up everywhere, and then woke up wondering where he was. He then rushed back to our room in tears and finally woke us up.

If that had happened in any other hotel on any other night, I would have freaked. As it was, I got about 5 texts from folks saying things like - "Hey, I just saw Miller in the hall. Is everything ok?"

Still, pretty scary... but glad we were where we were... First time he's ever sleep walked as far as I know... He's fine now and off to his first day of middle school!

hiboy32, harpo1313, Sancho and 6 others like this.