Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Manual transmissions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Both of my ‘64s are 4 speeds. Muncie in the coupe and sT10 in wagon. My ever so slightly ot c10 suburban has a 3speed sag but I’ve had my eye out for several years, casually looking for one of the o/d versions of 833.
    Had a regular a833 behind a 427 in a ‘56 Chevy pickup several years ago. I didn’t know understand how it was done when I owned it, but it was a really nice shifting trans and no problems behind a decent big block. Figure the o/d version will be fine behind the small block and hold up to some towing. 4.10 gears in that one.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  2. goldmountain

goldmountain

I think that I should have gone with a T5. Some time ago, Frank Oddo did an article in Street Rodder about how a Jeep shifter top would work on a Ford 4speed toploader. I happened to find this particular Jeep transmission in the core pile at work. Since the core charge only came to $35, I got my shifter top. Later, I bought a Ford top loader overdrive transmission and did the shifter conversion on it. When Ford reconfigured the top loader into an overdrive, they used the 1 to 1 ratio for third gear and used what was formerly third for overdrive. When used with a Jeep shifter, you end up with a shift pattern that has forward for first, back for second, and then forward into the neutral gate and back for third, and then forward for overdrive. The problem is in determining how far over to move the shifter to engage third without hitting reverse. It is necessary to temporarily move the stick to overdrive before third to line up the shift gate properly. The T5 has the shifter further back but I think I could live with that easier than with what I have now. Other option would be to find a conventional Ford top loader 4 speed. Hope this helps someone else from doing this.

3. dartracer

dartracer

Yep, line lock.

4. Funny tidbit I heard a few years ago about manual transmissions. They cost the factory more to make than an automatic but since everyone wanted the automatics, they charged an upgrade for them and sold the manual ones as the base price units. Somewhere in the area of 90% were paying for the “upgrade” automatic trans

5. gene-koning

gene-koning

My coupe has an AX15 5 speed OD. I have another one sitting on the floor, but my old knee is complaining after a long day of shifting.
    The next hot rod will be an auto trans, my wife may have to drive it and she doesn't want to drive the stick. Between her and my knee, it looks like auto trans will win, it will be an OD though. Gene

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and Hnstray like this.
  6. I'm running a Muncie M20 that I had fixed up last year after a 3rd gear mishap, it was a 2.56 1st gear and is now a 2.52, but seems to be little difference. I'd like a 5-speed but wasn't into dealing with floor issues. I was looking at the McLeod 5-speeds but saw mixed reviews on them. I have a bunch of Saginaw Chevy truck 3-speeds sitting around, 1 has a shifter on it,

7. Smokeybear

Smokeybear

AX-15 in my 48 Plymouth
    Doug Nash 5 speed in the 55 Chevy
    Ford AOD going in the 31 Ford, wifey has to drive something. LOL.

8. LAROKE

LAROKE

My '37 Chevy pickup has a Camaro T5 with S10 tailshaft rebuilt with world class parts. It sits behind a Hayes 11 inch clutch mated to a Jimmy 302 inline six

[​IMG]

My '55 Chevy 1st Series pickup is being rebuilt with a refurbished m22 rockcrusher. It's a direct bolt in for the three-speed it replaces, needing only a rear tranny crossmember and some minor fabrication of the seat base to clear the Hurst shifter.

[​IMG]

My O/T daily driver Caddy ATS-V has a six speed Tremec.

I've always enjoyed rowing thru the gears.

9. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

If your 3-speed doesn't have a cross member , why do you feel the 4-speed needs one ?

Old wolf, HOTRODPRIMER and 3W JOHN like this.
  10. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

11. Hightone111

Hightone111

M20 with a Bieber Changer for my never ending Lark gasser build.

[​IMG]

12. topher5150

topher5150

I found a parts truck on CL early 1980 F150 with a 4 speed which I believe is a B&W T19. I don't plan on doing any racing or putting any serious HP in this car but do think that would be decent tranny?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. 6sally6

6sally6

14. LAROKE

LAROKE

Mostly for my own peace of mind. Also, the m22 has a rear mount that the lighter three-speed does not have.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. Hightone111

Hightone111

JUNK ROD, clem, mgtstumpy and 4 others like this.
  16. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

The Borg Warner T18 / T19 were heavy duty truck transmissions typically found in F-250 and larger trucks, although some did sneak into F-150's. I have one in my '85 F-350 Dually with a Ranger gear splitter in front of it that provides Overdrive. They shift and drive like truck transmissions, but will take a beating and ask for more. Units found behind diesels will be close ratio, the gas units will most likely have granny low and be wider ratio.

If I was restoring a large truck or pickup, I wouldn't think twice about using it. In a car, custom, hot rod or otherwise, NO chance.

More Info:
    http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/transmissions/manual/t18-t19

17. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

To answer the original question:

My '51 Ford F-1 has had 3 transmissions (all manual) through out the years.

I first built it with a New Process 435 4-speed. It was cheap and effective, but the lack of overdrive and granny low made the decision to swap easy.

2nd Transmission: BW T86 3spd + R10 OD. The overdrive was great, but a "spirited" clutch drop removed a few teeth from 1st gear...

3rd Transmission: Ford M5R2. This unit is still in the truck and runs great. Good gear ratios, shifts easily. I am a bit cautious with it as I know the motor has more than enough snort to tear it up.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  18. Man,,, I guess I am a little bit off,,,,but I like that Bieber shifter!
    It’s not like my beloved Pistol grip,,,but it is really unusual.

Tommy

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  19. Hightone111

Hightone111

It’s rare, weird, looks awesome and it was free. I’m obligated to run it.

seb fontana likes this.
  20. 4speed411

4speed411

Wide Ratio M-22 Muncie, with 3:50 geared 12 Bolt rear, 750x16 rear tires... IMG_20190720_125126584.jpg

mkebaird, bobss396 and chevy57dude like this.
  21. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My 36 Ford has an A833 3 speed w/ OD (GM version ). Great little unit for long distance driving.

22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a T56 6-speed in my Falcon, behind at 200.

23. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

In my 37 Chevy I used a t5 out of a wrecked v8 89 Camaro behind a goodwrench 350 - I bought the whole car and it only had about 90,000 km. I like to keep things simple so I installed it with the tilted t5 bell housing so I could use the external hydraulic slave cylinder. I cut the shifter handle about 2 inches from the base and welded a longer swap meet shifter arm on and had the shifter arm rechromed. People always seem to want to get rid of the t5 tilted bellhousing and I don’t understand why I have been running one this way trouble free for over 8 years.

bobss396 likes this.
  24. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

My 35 Chevvy & 46 Olds both have 700Rs however my new toy, 64 Ford, has a BW T10 with Hurst behind an 427FE. I've driven a few auto and manuals over the years however not a manual transmission toy for 35yrs. This should be interesting! In preparation I'm replacing the bellhousing, and upgrading to an SFI flywheel as well as replacing the clutch, disc and bearing with quality HAYS products. I might even need to upgrade the rear axle as well? Economy is the last thing on my mind.

25. Close ratio Muncie M-21 with Hurst linkage in my coupe. In my 33 pickup I used a Chevy S-10, world class T-5 behind the flathead. Gimmee 3 pedals for my hot rods!

26. southcross2631

southcross2631

Liberty prepped top loader crash box with a 6.00 gear for my 1/8 th mile commutes to the finish line. DSCF3532.JPG

Desoto291Hemi and chevy57dude like this.
  27. sunbeam

sunbeam

Because I remember people breaking tail housing on Muncies in 55-57 Chevys but not in later cars with tailhousing mounts. I'm not saying that the old 3 speeds would have made it past the first time the car was launched.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    LAROKE likes this.
  28. The old truck transmissions were steel, short and stout. The SM420 & 465 were heavier, but they were tied into a steel bellhousing that had chassis mounts. I like to support a longer 4-speed and most were aluminum cases.

LAROKE likes this.
  29. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I love Sticks... Ford Top Loader in the 57, T5 in the Coupe and a Doug Nash 4+1 in the Truck.

Moriarity and lothiandon1940 like this.