Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Anyone had good luck with Portawalls?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BigO, Aug 19, 2019.

1. I would like to put wide whites on my '47 Ford but it has new black walls on it and a new set of tires is out of the question. Has anyone had success with attaching portawalls and them staying on? Thanks in advance.

2. you will need the help of the easter bunny...you dreamer...spend the necessary coins,you tight ass..

3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Sell your new blackwalls and buy the whitewalls.
    Should be easy to sell, Most people like the Blackwalls.
    Take a pill wbrw32.

BigO and kidcampbell71 like this.

4. Hahaha :). Wish I could but a lot of my money is going to cancer treatment, that's why I was asking about portawalls, always heard they never stayed on but was hoping someone had found a way. :)

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  5. Thanks Petejoe, good idea, and wbrw32 was just fun'in, I think. :)

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

As nice as whitewalls are and I've had them on my car for a long time, it certainly isn't nice when it comes to cleaning them. Still, I bought this set for my deuce project cause the price was too good to pass up. I guess I like the struggle.

Attached Files:

BigO likes this.
  7. wicarnut

wicarnut

We used them as kids back in 60's, No, they are junk IMO. If you never drive your car they sort of work. I've read on here HAMB about painting tires, read and give that some thought.

BigO likes this.
  8. Send Barry a PM and ask him how well they have held up on his camper, they looked good last time I saw it, I believe he told me he used some sort of adhesive to keep them in place, it's been a few years. HRP

ratrod0

BigO likes this.
  9. Used them twice for low buck projects. Now this goes against anything you'll read anywhere but both sets of the damn things did just fine and never peeled or had issues. But it could've just been flukes, we did do a lot of prep work and glued the ever living shit out of em.

BigO likes this.
  10. jeepster

jeepster
    from wisconsin

They dont work well with radial tires because of the sidewall buldge.

BigO and Atwater Mike like this.
  11. Don't mean to hijack the thread...but I like your 2 tone wheel treatment

12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

We had a set that were different, they were 'thick', and had like 'beads' cast (vulcanized???) around the inside circumference, just outside the rim.
    There was also a 'bead-like' edge around the outside circumference, very heavy, and 'pliable'.
    Took some care in inflating/fitting, but if careful, came out tight (bias-ply tires, this was 1957!)
    They weren't 'stark white', just a little bit off-white, but looked quite believable.
    These were on my bud's channeled shiny black '30 'A' Coupe, were still on there when the second owner 'shipped out' in '62.
    I had the car for a year, kept it up, drove it a lot. Those Port-a-Walls came from Grand Auto, we got 'em on sale. (last 2 sets...)

wicarnut and BigO like this.
  13. Graystoke

Graystoke

I know a guy who runs a real beater and he has them on. He said he used Flex Seal glue and they are holding up well.

BigO likes this.
  14. They work great if ya don't drive the car.

wicarnut and BigO like this.
  15. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

A friend has used them and likes them BUT than again he likes the Mexican Chrome in a rattle can also.....................................

BigO likes this.
  16. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Don't do what I did 40 years ago.. I put porta-walls on full wheel covers then popped them on the wheels.. Drove 25 miles to a local cruise-in and as soon as I pulled into the driveway, one popped off and rolled along and hit a girl in the back of her leg.. To embarrassed to go pick it up and drove off with everyone laughing....

BigO likes this.
  17. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

Don't waste your money on that crap.

OLDSMAN likes this.
  18. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I was a lot younger back in the '60's, they were sometimes all we could get. There was a guy who worked at "Ben's Standard" on main street that had some secret method of installing them that kept them snug against the sidewall. I don't know how he did it, but the rumor was that he used a rubber mallet on them while setting the bead.

gtoeasy64 likes this.
  19. southerncad

southerncad

To install the correctly, you need to find an old dude at a tire shop, and he will do like Tubman said and use a rubber mallet on them while setting the bead...did it many times.

egads, 302GMC, BigO and 1 other person like this.
  20. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did a ton of them back in the 60's Tubs right about the guy with the mallet. You drive those things in with a rubber mallet as your inflating. Remember these were tube tires so you could stop inflating as the bead was coming up. When they were done right with all those siration lines were down in the rim by beating them in they looked great. Hell it was harder to clean off the black marks from the mallet than putting them on. Had to steal some of your moms SOS pads that still had soap on them and add some AJAX to get them really white. If you didn't take care of them they turned yellow.. Ahhhh Those were the days....

21. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

What he said. Had them on my first car in 1963 and they worked fine.

egads and BigO like this.
  22. Thanks wicarnut, I'll take a look. ;)

wicarnut likes this.
  23. That makes sense, and of course I have radials...:(

24. goldmountain

goldmountain

Found mine on the other side of the highway. However, a friend gave me a can of whitewall paint that I haven't tried yet.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

BigO likes this.
  25. It may be, once again, my West Coast bias, but they were referred to as Mickey Mouse whitewalls and were NEVER hep. Save your money for real ones while wearing the blackwalls out.

BigO likes this.
  26. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

We had a math teacher in 1973-74 who had a set on his '55 Plymouth. I am certain he was running bias plies back then, but he had a 30 mile round trip to school at 55mph every day, and they never flew off. They were the only set we had ever seen, so naturally we had to tug at them every time we walked past, and I don't recall seeing any glue holding them down at all.

BigO likes this.
  27. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

They were painted like that to match the car they were on which I bought them off of. I did see the car up for sale on Ebay a few weeks ago and it is one sweet Deuce roadster.

BigO likes this.
  28. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

I have used them in the past, as well as recently.
    I like the look of them on an older car.
    It takes two to really get them right, plus a lot of patience..and a rubber hammer.
    Get them in place on the tire, not the rim...then inflate gently while tapping the not correct spots with the rubber hammer..
    May take a few times but will work nicely..
    On occasion a little soap lubricant will work..
    Here is a '49 I built a bit ago using them

Attached Files:

BigO likes this.
  29. chrisp

chrisp

When they stay on they tend to dig in the tire wall, some people had blowout because of them. Mercedes classic refuse to service cars with them, I don't know if they still do but they used to.

BigO likes this.