Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Doing a ring job the old way

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, May 19, 2019.

1. A little history, but back in the early days of Nascar stock car racing, the Hudson was a car to be feared on the track, and won a lot of races.
    Bob

loudbang likes this.
  2. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Needs a set of twin turbos, and you need to do the Power Tour with it!!! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

loudbang likes this.
  3. Hey Jim, great write up, as usual. Thanks for the info on the conn rod tool. Have you found applications where the rod bolt grippers are too wide to fit down the bore, or is the illustration exaggerated a bit?

4. squirrel

squirrel

The tool never goes near the bore, so it doesn't matter...you use this tool from the bottom side of the engine.

5. Thanks for the picture! Nice straight body
    Another great write up as usual.
    Theme: anything but "Driving Miss Daisy" ....tell your brother you are Hoke he can be the other occupant

6. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Always liked those Hudsons. I'd drive the crap out of that thing.

firstinsteele likes this.
  7. I just really enjoyed this thread. It reminded me once again that we can enjoy this hotrodding thing without looting the bank account all the time, and still do stuff that was common practice 50 years ago.

8. David Chandler

David Chandler

Now if you can regrind your cam, with an angle grinder, we'd like to hear how it went!

impala4speed and osage orange like this.
  9. I assume you haven't heard of a (Belly Grind) cam?

osage orange likes this.
  10. railcarmover

railcarmover

Years ago folks would notice if the motor lost a step,or began using oil..or if the rear main started leaking,they would take their car to a garage,'save' it by getting an overhaul instead of buying a new engine.

11. Well it appears the Naysayers where wrong? Surprize Surprize Not only did Jims ring job hold up. He was the first place winner of the LeMons ralley! myself I would have been surprised if it had threw a junk iron fit and had not performed rather well.

12. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Old Wise Wolf,
    I agree with a qualifier, it certainly did hold up and more.
    In cooler weather and slower speeds his pil consumption may have been nothing too.
    Now do the cyls have some taper that caused Jim.a little oil consumption?
    Ring and valve grinds very common in not so distant old days.
    Was common to fi valves at what 70 or 80 k and rings by 100 k?
    Cabs seem to put on huge amounts of miles and be running well.

Old wolf likes this.
  13. squirrel

squirrel

I'm disappointed with the oil consumption, although it's better than it was, by a long shot. I added up the quarts of oil it's consuming now, it's about 9 for 2000 miles. But at least it's still running.

14. Yes it used a bit of oil. However to be fair when you went down those long downgrades using the engine to help the brakes. There was a great amount of constant vacuum sucking oil past the rings. Ive seen many semi trucks after they went down a mountain and hit the fuel at the bottom emit a great cloud of oil smoke. Some of the places you went was a extreme test of your ring job. I think if you would add a PCV it would help with the oil consumption. The oily blow by the PCV feeds the engine will give it a top lube and seal the rings a bit.

15. Cymro

Cymro

I took apart a Morris side valve engine from a series 1 saloon (1937) and discovered the piston skirts on all four cylinders had been heavily peened with a punch some time previously the car had been running fine until we discovered that the car had a porous block and the cylinders were full of water, my buddy the owner said the previous owner had mentioned to drain the water if the car was to be left standing, he assumed that this was to prevent the block from freezing and added antifreeze, which as we all know will find any escape route from the cooling system. We did rebuild the engine, and attempted to seal the block with C-lit, I cant remember any further issues so it must have worked to a certain degree.

16. This has been done countless times over the years,,,,more in the past,,,,but it still works very well.
    Don’t be afraid of it,,,just clean the grit out before reassembly,,,it will work.
    If you have a lot of funk in the ring lands,,,,soak them in carb cleaner overnight.
    I use a resealable bucket,,,5 gallon,,, pour some Berryman chem dip in.
    That stuff is a little pricey,,,if you have a little while to let them soak,,,,good old ATF works to loosen carbon in the grooves very well also.

Tommy

17. manyolcars

manyolcars

A renter abandoned a Pink and white 59 Ford at my best friends rent house and he gave it to me. It only had 52thousand miles but the 292 was stuck. It is a 4 dr and has a rotted out passenger front door. I have no desire for a 4dr and it sat until my son was a senior in high school in 2000. A guy called and asked if I wanted to buy his running 59 two door. It ran but it was a 6 cylinder so I took the 292 out of the pink one and found that the pistons were incredibly stuck. I broke them out, honed it, new pistons, rings, timing chain set, I dont remember all I did but I put the 292 in the blue 59 and my son drove it to college for several years and I have been driving it since. Its been in use for 18 years now. I have made many 600 mile trips and totally trust it to get me there and back. It works well and does not smoke. 59f2.jpg

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  18. wentzarco

wentzarco
    from NE PA

I know I'm late to the show but I've done in car ring jobs countless times as
    well as change out main bearings in car. Top fuel and funny car flex hone
    cylinders all the time in chassis.