Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Banger timing

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by rally1, Aug 19, 2019.

1. rally1

rally1

ON my street engine, 7:1, 330 cam, Lion Head, header, single 97, Mallory dizzy.
    Setting a driveable ignition timing is frustrating. The curve needs to be very fast, and is pretty much limited to 22-24 degrees total timing.
    Question is, has anyone tried just locking out the advance and running at a fixed timing?
    Pros, cons to doing so.
    Other than a potential starting issue......
    Thanks in advance for feedback.
    Ken

2. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

I’d go back to a stock distributor, where I had control of the timing, before I ran it locked. If you don’t like stock, there is FSI. Post this on the monthly banger thread, you’ll get more help. Good luck.

3. ydopen

ydopen

I have had 2 new Mallory distributors. I did not like the advance curve on either one . I decided to keep stock distributor rather than recurving them. One thing, when you go up a hill you do not have the option of retarding
    the spark with centrifugal advance if it pings.
    Model B distributors are supposed to work well. They have the right curve. Renners corner Model A parts have them I think.

John

Rex_A_Lott likes this.
  4. Piewagn

Piewagn

Stretch the advance springs! That's what I did with my Mallory dist and I got the curve I wanted/needed! I start getting advance right off idle up through the timing curve until total timing is achieved.....it wasn't that hard, I stretched in small increments until I got where I wanted to be.....she runs great now! You run premium I presume?

5. rally1

rally1

All,
    I have four Mallory dizzy’s, with different advance curves, all set on my Sun machine.
    All your tips are correct, and have been tried. I was asking if anyone has run a fixed timing (no advance, initial timing set at 22, or somewhere in that range) similar to magneto timing.
    Just curious.
    Thanks