Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1940 Chrysler Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 34 Airflow, Jan 1, 2019.

1. 34 Airflow

34 Airflow
    from Australia

Thought I should start a discussion regarding my recently acquired (6 weeks ago!)1940 Chrysler Royal Coupe. I've been lurking around getting inspiration for a long time and keep getting distracted by other projects. I had only recently purchased a 341 Desoto Hemi and trans for my 1934 Airflow when a friend told me he was looking to sell his 40 Coupe. So after a bit of deliberating I decided the Airflow build will go back on hold and I grabbed this. The car as you can see was well on the way to being a Street Rod but my interest lays firmly in the Custom style for this era car. A significant amount of money was spent to get the car to where it is, some of the work will be undone to suit my preferences. The car came with a Chrysler 318 Poly Head engine with a 727 Torqueflite Trans which will remain, along with the IFS conversion and an upgraded diff from a late model Australian Falcon. I will go into a bit more detail if there is interest and for now I am finalising a clear plan in my head before I get too much further. 29496766_1687673604608906_5203699801949395541_n.jpg chassis.jpg DSCN6827.JPG

2. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Definitely a great start!

34 Airflow likes this.
  3. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I have a buddy that has a 40. Stock as a rock, but he has put some lowering blocks on the back. Very kool cars.
    Keep us posted on progress.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. 34 Airflow

34 Airflow
    from Australia

The car had a RHD conversion done and sadly the original wheel and cluster have disappeared which is a shame as I would prefer that to the street rod billet instrument surround currently fitted. The rest of the conversion has been well executed with an Ididit Column and neatly set up pedal assembly. The front seat is a split fold Caddy that has been narrowed 5 inches to suit the '40 (and the trim shown has been removed). If anyone has a lead on a 40 Chrysler (or similar) instrument cluster give me a yell.
    DSCN6872.JPG
    Left_hand_drive_dash.jpg

5. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Look into the P15-D24 Forum, you may find one there.

I have a buddy with a collection of 1939's, he may have a lead... Let me know if I can help.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. 34 Airflow

34 Airflow
    from Australia

Thanks for the heaps up, I will check out that forum as I am missing a couple of small pieces of exterior trim too. Would appreciate any leads so if your friend with the 39's has a contact I'd love to hear about them.
    @classiccarjack

chryslerfan55 and classiccarjack like this.
  7. An Oz RHD dash from 1939 till 48 would fit without much fiddling.......unfortunately I haven't a dash as a spare............as for chrome moldings etc Plymouth & Dodge ones maybe too short as the Chryslers were longer at least in the front sheet metal and possibly thru the body shell.......whats the wheelbase of the car?.......andyd

8. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I will reach out and find out if he has any parts for your project...

9. gatz

gatz

Interest whetted !
    My '40 Chrysler in avatar is also a Royal Coupe.
    I haven't any leads on the parts you're looking for, but will keep an eye open.
    Did Chrysler just move the instruments over to the right side for the RHD version & glove box to the left; or are they somehow different? Was the radio moved as well, or remained in the original place to the left of the speaker grill ?
    What IFS did the PO use for the one you have; a MII or similar?

Good luck with it !

C25 Royal 5-passenger wheelbase is 122 1/2"

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  10. Graystoke

Graystoke

This a 40 Plymouth with the same body style.

1940-plymouth-p-10-business-coupe-profile.jpg

OzMerc39, Voh, Gambler 1962 and 12 others like this.
  11. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I just called my buddy. He has some parts left from a 1939 Dodge. The Chrysler sold. Sorry for getting your hopes up....

12. My Oz RHD Dodge uses the same dash pieces and gauges as the LHD cars except where the RHD pieces would have to be different, ie, the areas in the dash moldings where the switches etc fit including for the original starter button that RHD cars had on the dash alsothe dash brace from the firewall was in a different spot which meant that the large box that the US radios came in would not fit resulting in a radio that had a separate box against the firewall with cables going to it and not a push button type of radio..........and yet the factory RHD, Sth African assembled 1941 Plymouth Coupe I had 2007 to 2013 had enough space to have a 602/802 radio (can't remember which) installed by me in the RHD dash as that dash brace from the firewall was in a different place to the Oz RHD Dodge....the Plymouth also had some pieces which would have been the same as the LHD parts such as the instrument cluster but again the various dash moldings would have been RHD specific.......the glove box lid on the Dodge was the same as the LHD whereas the Plymouth glove box lid was RHD specific..........andyd

Attached Files:

13. 34 Airflow

34 Airflow
    from Australia

HI Andy, the trims I am missing are the ones on the cowl, I have the bonnet, door and rear 1/4 mouldings but just the short piece is the only bit missing.

As for the dash the main thing I would like to integrate into the work done is the gauge cluster as per original, the rest I can work around. I had a lead on a dead 39 Chrysler Royal but someone had already raided the bits I wanted.

14. 34 Airflow

34 Airflow
    from Australia

Thanks for checking!

chryslerfan55 and classiccarjack like this.
  15. 34 Airflow

34 Airflow
    from Australia

My car was a LHD car that has had the conversion done at a Hot Rod shop here in Australia only a few years ago (prior to my purchase) sadly the original dash, cluster and wheel were thrown away in the process and an aftermarket billet surround was put in. The shape is basically the stock dash shape but all filled in aside from the glovebox and holes drilled for aftermarket gauges.
    The front suspension is front a HG Holden (Australian GM product built in 1970).

16. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I can understand why you want the original gauges back.

17. 34 Airflow

34 Airflow
    from Australia

I have been a little slack on this but finally made some time to work on the Chrysler in recent weeks. I got rid of the ugly orange LED indicators and found something I feel will fit in with the style of the build and only required a small modification to the recess already fabricated. There is still a fair bit of minor bodywork to be done and a few modifications like relocating the fuel filler and fabricate a new fuel tank which will hopefully happen soon. I rolled it out of the garage and popped on a set of hubcaps to get an idea on the look, I will get the final wheel and tyre combo sorted out and then adjust the suspension to suit. The rest of the primer has been removed and the body itself is in good condition which is a plus.
    I've managed to source a 41 Chrysler Instrument cluster in near perfect condition so I will modify the dash to suit and chase down a surround for it.
    20190406_165405.jpg

Stogy, OzMerc39, Rand Man and 12 others like this.
  18. gene-koning

gene-koning

If your car has an Ididit column, the original steering wheel wouldn't work anyway, the original column was hollow and had the horn wire running up through it. The top of the column where the steering wheel bolted on is entirely different then anything modern.
    Fortunately, there are several companies that make original style wheels that fit on the modern columns, but they are a bit pricey. Gene

19. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

The car is looking good, 34 Airflow!

34 Airflow likes this.
  20. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

That is a great looking Mopar. Lots of work in that frame! Glad you were able to source a dashboard. Can't wait to see your progress.

34 Airflow likes this.
  21. 34 Airflow

34 Airflow
    from Australia

Did a mockup today with the 41 cluster, I will make a new panel for the finished product, decided to use the one there as a rough template. Will source or make a surround to neaten it all up too.
    20190420_123058.jpg

Stogy, brEad, Okie Pete and 2 others like this.
  22. 34 Airflow

34 Airflow
    from Australia

Bit slow on the udpates sorry, had a few slack months but decided to pull my finger out and try and get it to the Boogaloo Campout in November this year...
    First up we got rid of the fuel filler installed by the previous owner and remade a panel to return it to how it was built. (sorry about the sideways images can't seem to fix it!)
    Filler.jpg 20190713_165805copy.jpg 20190808_180509copy.jpg 20190817_143039copy.jpg

brEad, Frankie47, Squablow and 6 others like this.
  23. 34 Airflow

34 Airflow
    from Australia

Next up the small fuel tank mounted behind the rear seat was also removed along with a big chunk of the previously fabricated trunk floor. A new floor section and recess was fabricated and a new alloy fuel tank was made. The last shot is checking the tank fit before we sort out the new filler neck location.
    20190406_170321copy.jpg 20190713_161631copy.jpg 20190808_180600copy.jpg 20190817_143045copy.jpg

Stogy, brEad, Frankie47 and 8 others like this.
  24. Probably a bit late now but 70's to 80's Oz Falcon sedan fuel tanks are a good option as they have a large capacity and a recess for the spare tyre..........I used one in a customised 1951 Chev years ago.........on 2nd thoughts an original Falcon tank might be hard to find now.......lol............BTW.........will that piece of chrome molding be of any use?...........andyd

OzMerc39 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. 34 Airflow

34 Airflow
    from Australia

HI Andy, that trim is going to get me out of trouble in the interim thankyou!
    I did look at a Falcon tank but the gap between the diff and rear crossmember wasn't big enough so I had to go this way. A good friend had one in his shed that we used as a trial, along with an XM XP Falcon tank too which are reproduced.

OzMerc39 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  26. Looks good.......nice chassis work........andyd

Stogy and 34 Airflow like this.
  27. Geez' ... that Chrysler was lucky to have found you. Nice work, in not the easiest to build and source, Australia. Very cool.

Stogy, 34 Airflow and j hansen like this.
  28. 34 Airflow

34 Airflow
    from Australia

A few more weeks have flown past however the chassis has had a few small tidy up jobs done and a bit of welding finished off. Now it's in Primer with final coat going on before the week is out. 20191009_182216.jpg

Stogy, OzMerc39, Frankie47 and 7 others like this.
  29. Curious how the front of the chassis was done to accommodate the Holden front end........the chassis up to roughly the firewall is more or less stock rails it appears from the pics but from the firewall forward is the boxed chassis made up of 4 pieces, ie, side plates and upper & lower plates all welded together?.............or how is it done as it does not appear to have anything of the stock chassis rails left tho' it at first glance may appear so..........am curious.......also are the engine mount round biscuits just early Frod type?.........Andy Douglas

30. 34 Airflow

34 Airflow
    from Australia

Hi Andy,
    Looking at the telltale welds the front rails have been made/modified with three cuts and then boxed. Having not been part of the initial build I can only work off the few signs I can see.
    The engine mounts are Jaguar, the guy who painted the chassis for me has used the same mounts on his Morris Commercial project.