Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cheater slicks groove width

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by evobuilder, Aug 18, 2019.

1. evobuilder

evobuilder

I have a new pair of pie crust slicks I am going to groove to make cheater slicks.
    Standard grooving tools come with a #4 blade but I think I need a wider blade..
    Does anyone have a cheater slick they can take a measurement from? Here are the blade sizes for reference...

groover.JPG

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  2. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My M&Hs measure 3/16

Warren

loudbang and evobuilder like this.
  3. Radirs come in at 3/16" also. 1566138684178-1173072230.jpg

4. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Will the car be entered in the Pebble Beach Concours??? just grove it,, hope its the hot grooving iron type or hit up a USAC Sprint car team to cut it for you with theirs

5. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Here is something a little different, from the early '60's. 20190818_154853.jpg 20190818_154648.jpg

evobuilder, Hightone111 and loudbang like this.
  6. evobuilder

evobuilder

loudbang likes this.
  7. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Wonder whatever happened to 8/32? Got 7 and 9 on the chart, 8 must be real strange.

loudbang likes this.
  8. They left off 3/16" and 1/4".

I just cut the ones on the old/new Inglewood Pos-A-Tractions for the Mysterion clone with the cutter that came on the tool. Didn't know there were different sizes.
    tires rear.jpg

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    mgtstumpy, evobuilder and loudbang like this.
  9. evobuilder

evobuilder

I just bought a groover with a #4.... did you need to set the depth, hopefully the tool has some sort of intuitive gauge.

loudbang likes this.
  10. evobuilder

evobuilder

What was your trick to getting the lines straight? That's my biggest concern. Any help is greatly appreciated.

loudbang likes this.
  11. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

You have to set your depth of cut. Loosen the screws that hold the blade in place and slide the blade up/down for depth and lock your screws back down. Might want to do that before you plug it in :). I would use a #4 blade. Make sure the blade is in with the sharp side facing forward and has plenty of time to get up to cutting heat. Don't rush it. If you have to force it it's either too cold or in backwards. A little corn starch or baby powder spread across the tire's surface will make it cut faster and easier. Use a scribe and score a uniform line around the tread surface off the sidewall/tread edge.
    SPark

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    kadillackid, evobuilder and loudbang like this.
  12. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Spin the wheel/tire off an axle and a yellow crayon to mark it

Speedwrench and evobuilder like this.
  13. I measured and ran a strip of duct tape around the tire. Just followed the edge of the tape for perfect line. cuts fairly slow, easy to control. Seems like it was a few minutes per cut. Not bad.

14. evobuilder

evobuilder

Duct tape is smart.... did it act as a guide? My biggest worry is a crooked groove.

15. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

16. Yep. Just follow the edge of the tape and should have arrow straight groove.

17. mlagusis

mlagusis

I wonder if you keep the tire on the car jacked up a little, then set the grooving iron on the floor fixed to something to keep the iron/grooving tool in the same location. Then rotate the tire on the car. You should get a perfectly straight line. FYI, I have never done this before so just a random thought on how to get a straight groove.

18. You are WAY overthinking this. You can do a pro job just taking minimal care. Just do it!!!

LM14 and evobuilder like this.
  19. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Practice practice practice, its not that hard but its not easy either. the pro knife I used was heat adj and easy to control, pressure pushed the contacts into instant heat and backed off cooled the blade. Iron type can be a little woobly without a extra handle at the blade. slow spinning of the tire while bracing yourself yeilds the best results, but practice practice practice

upload_2019-8-20_16-18-2.jpeg

20. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Some truck tire repair/stores have a blade to regroove a marginal tire to get past the police

21. evobuilder

evobuilder

man, if you know of one, let me know. I have exhausted that option in So Cal. Even the race shops will only do tires they are sponsored by/sell due to liability issues. This used to be common, there was even a shop in HB that did my motorcycle slicks in the 90s, but they are long gone.

With all the race shops around So Cal, I cannot believe it's this hard.

22. I agree with this ^^^^^something in the neighborhood of 1/8 to 1/4 is going to get you there and it seems like 3/16 is what I normally see them at.

23. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

I just remembered this place Nate Jones Tire in Signal Hill give them a call
    562-597-3369 (closed right now)

24. evobuilder

evobuilder

I owe you a beer.... this is it!!!!!

25. evobuilder

evobuilder