Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Manual transmissions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Years ago I had a bunch of these stickers made

AF4A6F8D-C5D5-4A82-9190-7FADD5C3CFE0.jpeg

JUNK ROD, 3W JOHN, RHRH3P and 2 others like this.
  2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Mopar 833, now if I can figure out how to make it work with my sbf.

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

IF there is an SBF to SBC bell housing available...you can look for the Mopar A833 that was built for Chevy pickup applications......they DO exist.......

Ray

4. still running the 318 Muncie in the 55 in my avatar. have a SM420 granny 4 speed in my 56 GMC truck. Ive never owned a automatic that if I used it like I normally do a granny 4 speed I did not eventually end up pouring trans fluid into it.

Church Key, 3W JOHN, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  5. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

One of my fords has had 5 transmissions,
    Born as a 6cyl automatic
    Swapped to a 302 and c4
    Two different AODs
    Now a t5,
    The car and me are finally satisfied!

The t5 came out of a parts car my dad and I partnered on. He needed an engine and I wanted the transmission.
    It was BEAT! Had to double clutch to get in to 3rd and would grind gong in to 1st I less you were completely stopped.

Didn’t care, drove the car 3 summers that way and loved every minute of it.

Finally this past winter I had the engine and trans out for some other work and sent the t5 off for a rebuild. Shop asked what that poor transmission had done to deserve such abuse.
    When I got it back the tag said “for Mr. S, Extra Fast”
    Not sure what they put in it for parts but I’m happily rowing gears and laying rubber again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    clem, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. RHRH3P

RHRH3P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My 56 Ford had a 3 on the tree and when I went to redo the Y block I decided to go T5. I like it but after having my left hip replaced at 34 I was on the fence about having another manual. I switched plans for my 36 Ford and decided it’s getting a C4 mated to a mild Y block, 2.91 geared 9 inch rear, and 6.00x16 tire / wheels. It won’t be setting any drag racing records but it will get me where I want to go just fine at manageable RPMs.

Hnstray, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  7. I am currently running a transgo modified TH400 with a Hone-O-Drive overdrive. .
    When I originally swapped in the big block, I used an M21, and have a super T10 waiting in the wings should I decide to go back to three pedals. I swapped out the manual to make my wife happy, and always had mixed emotions about making the change.
    I have enough 5 speeds in my other cars to keep me satisfied.
    Bob

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  8. Dennis D

Dennis D

Muncie behind the 327 in mine. 3:55 gear. Lost a lot of gear with the 31 inch tires though. Wish now I would have made room for a 5 speed so I could have run a bit lower gear. D

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

AX-15 5 speed with Novak adapter for the 48 behind the 292 with a 3.5 nine inch behind it.
    T-5 behind the 8BA for the Model A Victoria if I don't sell the A and build a 27 T roadster with the engine and trans.
    Granny 4 speed behind the flathead Ford six for the boat tail. That's a low buck vintage race car looking rig where gear noise is part of the ambiance.
    That scream of "oh hell" you thought you heard was from my left knee. It claims that 60 years of pushing a clutch pedal is enough for any knee.

3W JOHN, Hnstray and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  10. Ziggster

Ziggster

Will be running a T5 behind my flathead unless something changes.

11. dartracer

dartracer

HEMI and a 4spd in mine, AOD 833. IMG_1138.JPG

12. flatout51

flatout51

To be honest I have a T5 for my shoebox coupe too and will most likely go that direction. I'm just a manual transmission guy. 20181024_171158.jpeg IMG_20181102_114836_791.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G977U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

JUNK ROD, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  13. Danny,

When I was putting a manual into my coupe, I used a 3 line Saginaw 3 speed and the stock '40 column shifter. I burned up a 2nd gear synchronizer and decided to swap the 3 speed with a 4 speed 3 ring Saginaw. I'm shifting 1-4 on the column, drop it into Neutral and use a cable shifter for reverse.

The coupe has a 2.79 rear gear, and the 3 ring Saginaw has a 3.50 1st gear, so it works well.

Hnstray, Oldioron, dan c and 3 others like this.
  14. That sounds like a cool setup, I like the idea of a 3 speed column shiftier being a 4 speed. HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  15. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I shift for a living (truck driver) so I like an auto in my car, but my o/t gto is a manual and will always be one

16. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

3 speed in my 39 coupe.

17. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

I'm a sucker for OD. 3-spd in my '35 with a Columbia out back, and I've swapped more than my fair share of T5's into OT Mustangs...

I do like a good 4 speed toploader though.

18. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Man that tranny is cleaner than dog balls!

I have a T5 in my heap. The traditional thing about it is I laid on my back at the boneyard to get it.

Boryca, 3W JOHN, 56don and 4 others like this.
  19. Did you at least bring cardboard with you when you pulled it out?
    Cardboard, the wheel less creeper.
    Bob

20. I am running a Muncie 4 speed in my 56 Chebby. I bought a T5 and a F150 3+1 overdrive, thinking to put one of them in my 34 truck. But after more than 50 years of shifting gears, I got lazy and opted for a 2004R in the 34 truck and sold all my manual transmissions.

21. As long as it is standard I am ok with it. I have a 39 box in the roadster with Zephyr gear set and 4:11 rear. It is very nice and smooth. The coupe has a 39 gear box also , without the Zephyr gears so it winds up fast. Having 3:78's it should have a close ratio trans like the coupe. If I were building a car today it would have something more highway friendly. Maybe a t5. It would also have open drive.

22. Wow! Now, that is commitment.
    Bob

23. When was the Zephyrized 39 box done? Even by the late 50s, Zephyrs were really scarce where I grew up. After scattering two 39 boxes, I looked all over for a Zephyr tranny to use the gears, but couldn't find one. That was when I went to a 4 spd Hydramatic.
    Bob

24. Hey Dartracer,
    That is a cool ride.
    A Hemi and a Mopar tranny,,,,also with a pistol grip shifter!
    After you get used to shifting one of those,,,it’s hard to go back to a regular shift handle.
    By the way,,,what is the electric switch mounted on the handle?
    A line lock?

Tommy

25. 3spd on the column in my vic
    4spd granny in the 3/4 ton
    Toploader 4spd in my 37

But my OT daily truck is an auto. Nice to be lazy on some days.

26. That box was done a long time ago! Not sure how many years, I did not do it, but my guess it was from way back. I understand you can buy the gears new now. Not sure how good they are. My Coupe needs to be changed. I won't do it until something else needs to be done. That is why I would go open drive, tired of pulling the driveline apart to do transmission work.

27. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I always loved the M21 Muncie in my 63 Impala, but with my knee problems I have a 700R4 in my 58

j-jock, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  28. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Bought a couple of Saginaw 4-speeds and all accessories off local classifieds last year to add to my ever growing stash of parts that will become my so called last project. I miss rowing through the gears.

29. 6sally6

6sally6

Probably a nice 5 speed Lenco since this is fantasy talk anyway!
    6sally6

seb fontana, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.