Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 351w using the stock 55 ford 3 manual trans.

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by michael dunphy, Aug 18, 2019.

1. michael dunphy

michael dunphy

I bought a new project! A 55 ford fair lane with no motor! But the trans. Is still in the car and I would like to use the stock trans and column shifter! Got a donor car with a 351w. So my question is what year bell housing do I need to be able to use the stock trans?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. sunbeam

sunbeam

Ford went from a 5 to 6 bolt bellhousing about the same time they changed transmission bolt patterns. Finding a Ford bellhousing is next to imposable how ever Lakewood made scatter shields with both patterns used on Ebay they are about $300.

31hotrodguy, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  3. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

It will be cheaper, easier and better, to use a stick setup from behind any 6 bolt Ford engine from the 60's or 70's with a full synchro trans.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  4. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

'65 was the last year for that bolt pattern , but would suggest using a t-85 or '61-up (full syncro) toploader, as the stock '55 would not hold up behind a healthy "Y-Block', let alone a 351.

JeffB2, sunbeam, Hnstray and 2 others like this.

5. Your better off with a newer full syncro trans. however you could drill and tap a later bell to bolt up the original trans. The used that same 55 type trans behind FE,s in the late 1950,s.

6. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The pilot hole in the later bell housing is larger than the early one. That would have to be addressed also.

loudbang likes this.
  7. michael dunphy

michael dunphy

So if I get a synchro trans what bell would I need? Cuz the 351w has a c4

loudbang likes this.
  8. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Most Any Bellhousing that will bolt up to the 351, will work for the later 3 and 4 speeds.

Bones

alanp561 and loudbang like this.
  9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a friend who had broken 56 Ford 3 speeds stacked up like cordwood behind his mom's garage when he was driving a 56 Ford tudor wagon with a 292 and then 352 in it. He finally bought a 4 speed and stopped the madness. I'm not sure what the count was but two wrecking yards saved small pattern Ford 3 speeds they got back for him when they got one in.

10. I broke nine of those transmissions when I was a teenager. That was behind a 292 with a small cam.

JeffB2 and loudbang like this.
  11. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The back of the block on 240 and 300 Ford sixes out of pickups and vans is the same pattern as small blocks. I think the flywheel and clutch will work as well.

loudbang and Boneyard51 like this.
  12. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Yes, the bell housings will work, but the flywheel may not. Small block Ford V8 , 221, 260, 289, 302 all used external balance flywheels or flex plates. the earlier models, thru about 1980 I think, were 28 oz imbalance and later were 50 oz.

The 240/300 six were internal balance engine with no weights on the flywheel. I do not know the details on 351, but it needs to be checked on before selecting a flywheel.

Ray

loudbang and Boneyard51 like this.
  13. sunbeam

sunbeam

Ray I think all 351 use a 28oz imbalance and 302 used both but a bellhousing and flywheel must match there are 157 and 164 tooth wheels. With a late trans then all he's got to worry about is the rearend.

loudbang likes this.
  14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Thanks for the add'l info. I forgot about the two tooth counts. My main point was that 240/300 six flywheels were a no go.........and that V8's varied as to balance, though they all fit the crankshaft. The tooth count/diameter match to bell housing is important......thanks for that.

Ray

Boneyard51 and loudbang like this.
  15. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

I have everything you need except the flywheel, including the heavy duty three speed out of a 66 F100

16. There's not enough meat in the aluminum bells to redrill those. Ford did build some dual-pattern bells '65-66 as service parts, but those are extremely rare. If you can find a cast-iron truck bell, I believe those can be redrilled, but those use the larger flywheel. Be careful of the 240-300 six bells, as I've seen those that have the starter slightly relocated so they don't quite fit. Lakewood still makes their dual-pattern scattersheild, but you have to make sure you index it to the crank... and deal with the larger trans pilot hole in any case.

As to the OD trans holding up, it'll depend on which one you have. There's the light-duty Ford side-loader, the medium-duty top-loader T86, and the heavy-duty side-loader T85. The Ford trans won't do, it won't handle the torque load of the 351 unless you treat it very gently. The T86 could be used 'normally' (no beating on it) and the T85 can take a bit of a beating. But the probable limiting factor will be which OD unit on the back of the trans you have. Most have the R10 OD, these don't suffer abuse well; if you beat on it, the OD unit will fail sooner or later. I've killed these behind stock sixes... If by some stroke of luck you have an R11 OD, these are considerably stronger and would work well.

One last detail. The '62-back trans have a shorter pilot bearing shaft length compared to a SBF-specific trans. Used behind a SBF, the pilot shaft only goes into the bearing about half way and if using the OEM-style bronze pilot bushing, it will quickly ream the hole big causing clutch/front trans bearing issues. There are steel ball-bearing pilots available, use one of those.

alanp561, Boneyard51 and loudbang like this.
  17. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I am not certain on the small block truck bells, but be aware that the FE truck bells are approximately a 1/2 inch deeper than the passenger car bellhousings.

alanp561 and loudbang like this.
  18. loudbang

loudbang

Ditch the trans. Broke a bunch of them with just a 272 4 barrel and dual exhaust. 2nd gear syncros gonzo after 2-3 powershifts. Luckily our trade school had a huge pile of them and the instructor said use as many as you want. Got so I could change one out in about 1/2 an hour.

alanp561 and ffr1222k like this.
  19. The problem with ditching the OD is then he'll have to live with the 3.9 or 4.1 OD rear axle ratio; it won't be very 'freeway friendly'... LOL. Be snappy off a light... until the rear axle lets go...

Yes, those old OD trans don't take being beat on well at all. But if you avoid that, they make fabulous 'cruising' gearboxes and deliver outstanding fuel economy.

loudbang likes this.
  20. michael dunphy

michael dunphy

Ok update on my 55 fairlane project! Finally got the motor out of the donor car and cleaned and fresh paint! And I must say everything I learned about this motor swap on here has been dead on! Now I need help with the headers I know I read it somewhere but can’t remember cuz I went to drop the motor and trans in today and I had to remove the exhaust manifolds but the motor fit like a glove! Thank you

Hnstray and loudbang like this.
  21. Hedman 88400 fit in a 54 Ford with a 351 but there was a little tweaking with the motor mounts.

This is not my results, I copied it from a thread in the 54 to 59 Ford Social Forum. If you have not joined that group it would benefit you to join. There is a wealth of information there.

22. michael dunphy

michael dunphy

I wanted to go cheaper for now and in other threads about the subject they say to use a stock exhaust manifold off a 5.0 mustang but they don’t give me a year

23. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

‘89/‘93 for sure....also used on Continental MK VII around the same era.

Ray

24. When I did my 351W swap, I used OEM cast exhaust manifolds off a '71 LTD... fit perfectly.

25. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

even a stock flathead can do a number on that tranny.

26. derbydad276

derbydad276

If you dont mind cutting a hole in the floor ..... early 80's F150 pickup's used a 4 speed O/D trans that would be great for a driver ...
    I did a search on ( car-part.com ) and came up with a bunch
    late 80's early 90's added a gear 5 sp O/D but they use hydraulic throw out bearing so you would have to do more fab work
    or search 65 /68 Fairlane if you want to keep the column shift

27. you could likely use early fairlane or mustang 289 manifolds.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  28. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm gonna bump this one to the top. We need more info like this.

chryslerfan55 likes this.