Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Turbo 350 Problem

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by HotRod33, Aug 16, 2019.

1. HotRod33

HotRod33

I have a turbo 350 that came with a project I bought. It has been re-manufactured and was sealed with plugs in all the openings and fittings and it had sat for over a year before I got it... I do not know where or what company did the work on it. I put it in the 36 and hooked everything up. I have filled it with fluid and ran the motor to pump fluid into the converter and topped the fluid off.... I have jack stands under the rear end and the tires or up in the air... The problem is when you put the transmission into gear it will move thru the detents with no response until you get to the low position and then it will go into reverse and the wheels rotate in reverse ... The column shiftier is unhooked and i am using the shift lever arm on the transmission to move thru the gears ... I pulled the pan and verified that the shift linkage is connected to the valve body and the S clip is in place... the valve moves in and out of the valve body when the shift lever has been moved... I talked to a local transmission shop and they told me to try changing the valve body as something may be hung up. I put in a different valve body reassembled everything with no success... The truck will backup as i let it down on the floor and moved it to see if the transmission would pull it. I know the shift pattern is park, reverse, neutral , Drive, 2nd, and 1st.... The transmission does go into park and the detent locks it into position.... it will move thru all the other positions with no response until the last position which should be low ... Any thoughts or suggestions before I pull everything out and take it to the transmission shop???? Thanks Hotrod

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

3. TERPU

TERPU

Squirrel will have the answers but here's a couple of things I'd check -

Put a pressure gauge on the pressure port to make sure it's actually building enough pressure. If so then pull the big circlip off the servo area and make sure the spring is in there and the servo moves freely. Because if the forgot the spring and/or the servo is stuck it won't build drive pressure or shift right.

But honestly it sounds like a valve body issue and linkage because it should go into drive/low and not go backwards.
    If someone put a shift kit in it and installed the wrong plates in it with no check balls or them in the wrong spot it'll cause this.

They are simple, buy a good book and get into it. T350 is a very simple and proven piece of fluid coupling. Good luck. Patience and cleanliness will pay off.

- Tim

4. HotRod33

HotRod33

Thank you I will check out what you suggested

5. bundoc bob

bundoc bob

The first few years of TH350s had a different shape link
    between the rooster comb and the manual valve compared to the later TH350s, which all had a removable S link. You can install the manual valve in those earlier ones two different ways, and if I remember correctly, if installed wrong you get the kind of issue you have. If you do have the old style setup, make sure the link places the manual valve as far behind the rooster comb as possible...if I remember correctly.

6. HotRod33

HotRod33

The s clip is crimped onto the valve on this one and I can only put it in one way.... Which way should the roster comb be in the valve body? Up or turned to where they are down? Thanks