Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1948 Dodge truck owners- Question please!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Radio Joe, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Radio Joe

Radio Joe

Hi Everyone,
    I have a customer who wanted me to track down a speaker for his 1948 Dodge truck. He sent me a picture of the grill with a tape measure next to it which isnt a lot of help. I hunted online for a while and can find pics of the grill, but nothing on the original speaker. Can anyone tell me what is the size in their truck? Picture?

Many dodges in the late 40's used a 7" speaker, but the grill only seems to be 5 inches wide. Maybe the speaker mounts behind the dash? Just trying to get the right speaker for him.

Thanks!

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

post a pic of what you are working on

3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

upload_2019-8-16_8-55-23.png

upload_2019-8-16_8-50-39.png
    This is dash and speaker cover plate (Far right side of dash) via Dr. Google

4. Radio Joe

Radio Joe

Jalopy joker- it's a customer's car and I dont have access to it.

Mgtstumpy. Yes I found those same pictures during my search, but it doesn't really answer the correct size for the speaker itself. Going by the last picture it looks like the speaker is bigger that the grill, but the screws in the dash make it look like that speaker may have been added by a previous owner- I dont see the same screws in other dash pictures. That's why I'm hoping someone with one of these trucks can tell me what they have in their truck.

5. gene-koning

gene-koning

I think I would make a phone call to www.robertsmotorparts.com and talk with them. They are very knowledgeable about the older Dodge trucks, they may even have a speaker available.
    Roberts & Vintage Power Wagon (www.vintagepowerwagons.com) are a couple companies that are making reproduction parts for these Dodge trucks.
    I've had 4 of these trucks and have never seen an original speaker!
    Gene

6. Radio Joe

Radio Joe

Thanks Gene- I will give that a try. I'll let everyone know what I learn.

7. the oil soup

the oil soup
    from Tucson,AZ

I will measure and photo the grill and opening sometime tomorrow.

8. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

something else to consider .... I do not know the answer.
    I do not have a factory speaker, I was able to buy a original radio that came from a 48-49 dodge truck.
    It has a bit of a odd plug for the speaker.
    It has a separate fused power wire, and a round plug for the speaker connection.
    The round plug has 3 wires, one is bare and assume is a ground.
    Yet the radio has a huge metal bracket and is grounded from mounting it under the dash.

Just saying, not sure I understand the 3 wires on the plug that goes to the speaker, I would wonder if your customer has the same plug. IMG_20190908_195845408.jpg IMG_20190908_195845408.jpg IMG_20190908_195922766.jpg