Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Canadian HAMBers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fortunateson, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I've wanted a gas saver for my gas welding gear for quite awhile but the prices ranged between $230-300+. Today I picked one up at Princess Auto for $79. Now it may not be the best super pro unit but for a hobbyist on a budget it looks like a good unit. I haven't tried it yet as I want to purchase some quick connects but I think it will help me get better at gas welding sheet metal and then hammering the welds flat since it shuts off the gasses and then you relight using the pilot light. I need to splice some '32 rear fenders together. The sales on now...

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    loudbang, catdad49, Blue One and 2 others like this.
  2. Battery shop next door to work has one, makes using a torch for repetitive work soo easy.
    Sounds like a deal at the ol princess.

loudbang likes this.
  3. desotot

desotot

I was looking at it in the flyer, guess I should snag one.

loudbang likes this.
  4. goldmountain

goldmountain

Feel like I'm being held hostage by Princess Auto. I could use that but there is also other stuff in the flyer.

loudbang and Blue One like this.

5. I still use my torch a lot, and am going to have a look right now. Thanks for the tip.
    Bob

loudbang likes this.
  6. trollst

trollst

I live two hours from the nearest one.....

7. I seen that also. Let us know what it's like after using it for awhile. I bought a cutting torch outfit from princess auto several years ago. It was the biggest waste of money I might have ever spent. The hoses were crap within a couple months, and one of two regulators leaked within 6 months and wouldn't hold a consistent flame. Just a terrible quality tool. Some of their stuff is really pretty good though.

8. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I find it's usually hit and miss as far as products from Princess but I have to say I've had pretty good luck buying from them and I can easily knock off a few hours in a day wandering the store. I live close to an American border crossing which allows me to also buy from Harbour Freight. I've heard loud and clear from guys on this site a lot of the same quality issues on some products there.

loudbang likes this.
  9. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

You have to know what you're looking for and don't expect miracles. Some of their stuff is quite good, some is very good hobbyist quality, and some stuff is disposable. And their return policy is excellent even though some idiots try to abuse it. My English wheel and bead roller are really good for the hobby level.

loudbang likes this.
  10. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

So you took that stuff back for a full refund, correct?

11. No I didn't. I live 2.5 hrs away from the closest store and don't go to the city very often. I just threw it all into my pile of misfit toys, said some bad words, and chalked it up to experience to buy quality brand name stuff. (I still buy cheap stuff from time to time if the situation and price calls for it)

12. desotot

desotot

I have bought some of my best deals at princess auto as well as some of my worst deals.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  13. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Bead roller? LOL

desotot likes this.

14. There stuff years ago was utter garbage.
    There quality has come along way and there titan and propoint tools are of really good quality for the money.
    And there return policy is great.

15. goldmountain

goldmountain

Don't know if I would save enough to justify this. The torch is mostly used at very low pressures for welding sheet metal and I fill the tanks up maybe once every two years. My biggest expense for my acetylene torch used to be the annual lease fees but now that I have a 99 year lease from Praxair, that isn't an issue.

16. The" dude"

The" dude"

17. The" dude"

The" dude"

I think the benefit of it is the fact you would not have to keep relighting and setting the flame during working the metal

18. I haven't purchased anything from Princess Auto in the last few years, but I bought some of their air tools approximately 20 years ago, and they are still working well after 20 years of regular use.
    When I would be stuck in Winterpeg for a few days, I would often make the journey out to the main store.
    Bob