Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Alliance Vendor for Newport Engineering Wipers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51504bat, Aug 16, 2019.

1. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Getting ready to upgrade to a Newport Engineering wiper assembly for my '54 Ranch Wagon. Does anyone know if there is an Alliance vendor that carries them or should I just order directly from Newport? Thanks.

2. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I ordered mine direct from Newport Engineering. These have got to be the best wipers on the market. Quality stuff.

Hnstray likes this.
  3. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Go direct, I do, as most vendors won't discount them that much. Best made, just installed a set in a Model A.

4. If they only made one for 32 sedan.:(
    Or am I missing something? 3W only?

5. Bill, they do make one for the '32, I ordered a single wiper from Gary at Cornhuskers. HRP

6. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Going direct is always a good choice but I like to support the individual shop as well, especially if its an Alliance vendor. If everyone always goes direct the little vendors may go the way of the great while buffalo and then where would we all be when we need that one little part to finish a project? Yes, we can get it direct but shipping on a small part can be more than the part itself. Also, its the individual vendor that often times (but not always) has the knowledge and advice that is sometimes lacking straight from the manufacturer.

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@51504bat Newport Engineering is a Mom & Pop business of the first order. There is no one who could/would be more knowledgeable about their products than Bob himself, as he designs these things.

In addition to having purchased several of their units, I have been to their business and couldn't have asked for more accommodating people in helping answer a few questions I had.

As for discounts, the units aren't really all that much money in the first place. Around $230 as I recall for the unit I bought a couple months ago. At that price, how much could they discount their product to a vendor in the first place, much less the vendor then having any significant margin to discount to a customer? "Not much" is the answer to that question. It's not like we are talking an item worth a couple thousand or more.

Buy from whomever you prefer to deal with, Newport or one of their vendors, either way you'll get a great product.

"Everybody knows the price of things, but do they know the value? "

Ray

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  8. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I knew that Newport had a great rep so I was always going to go with them. Wasn't looking for the discount. Just trying to support the Alliance. The direct price and the price from other vendors is the same. Nice to know that Newport is a mom and pop business. I'll be placing an order next week for the unit, the arms, the blades, and the extender shaft so I can use the stock '54 switch.

Hnstray likes this.
  9. I think I looked too and didn't find anyone. I ordered through Yogis (I think) on eBay, was a little cheaper and maybe quicker. I used it on the '56 panel, also found a delay switch on eBay and made the stock knob fit.

10. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I agree Newport Engineering is a class company. They are super people to work with, and have wipers to fit virtually any car out there

11. Every vendor I've looked at has had them for the same price as Newport.

12. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When you call, you will likely speak to Linda (Mom). She is pretty knowledgeable and will take good care of you. I put their wiper arms on all my old cars, as the spring is strong enough to hold them down at 70 mph. A lot of the reproductions have wimpy springs and crappy blades.

Hnstray likes this.
  13. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@AngleDrive by chance do you have any pics of these installed from the inside. How much room did the motor take up and where does it sit in the header? Looking at options for putting wipers into a 6" chop 31 A coupe.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  14. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

USED NEWPORT WIPERS IN MY 38 CHEVY TRUCK.FITTED WELL,GOOD PROPLE TO DEAL WITH.RETURN THE JIG AND GET A T-SHIRT SENT TO YOU.INTERNATIONAL NO PROBLEM.

15. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

I'll have to look tomorrow on Hobby Shop computer. I know it did not hang done below wood top rail. I remember drilling holes for the wiper pivots was not easy to get everything to line up.

panhead_pete likes this.
  16. Mimilan

Mimilan

I like the idea of supporting "mom and pop" type venders , so please give them a try.

If the cant help just make your own. It will be more time consuming

They use a marine wiper motor.

The sweep and park can be adjusted. and there is L & RH versions of the motor also different shaft lengths

nunattax likes this.
  17. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I was surprised they had wipers to fit my 48 Olds 98 convertible. Bob and his wife are class people. The wipers in my convertible work do nice, I bought mine with the intermittent option, I am totally happy with them.

18. I actually got to meet Bob at the Nashville Swap Meet. He bought something from me and we talked for awhile about vintage sprints and midgets. Pretty cool.

19. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

I have used Newport's kits in several cars and pickups, great products and people. I have had the pleasure of chatting with Bob on several occasions, especially about vintage midgets.

20. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Has anyone got pics of one of these units installed in a Model A. Would like to see images of how instrusive it is.
    Thanks
    Pete

21. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Sorry Pete, none on my shop computer. I will see if I can get a hold of my Hobby member and ask him to take some pics.

22. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for checking @AngleDrive , appreciate you following up further on it too!

23. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of the best thing I did to my 56. According to the instructions "not for the feint of heart" .. Not sure on a 54 but if you have problems putting in the screws that hold it in, get 2 longer ones and put them in the bracket from the top down making them into studs. Then put the star locks washers and nuts you need to supply on to the "studs" to hold the unit in. Takes 5 minutes instead of fighting putting the screws from the bottom while you're laying on your back. Mine was on a 56 but it might be the same...good luck.

nunattax and Hnstray like this.
  24. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

^^^^^^^Good advice. Did this installing the unit in my ‘37 Chevy.......simplified the process for this fat fingered old guy.

Ray

nunattax likes this.
  25. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

did the same wiith the 38 chevy

Hnstray likes this.
  26. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Pete, Best he could do, if you need more I can get them next week. modela.newport3.JPG modela.newport2.JPG modela.newport1.JPG

panhead_pete and nunattax like this.
  27. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

its a pity they don't offer a black powder coated wiper option and black powder coated screws !not everyone is into shiney reflective wipers etc.a small criticism in a quality kit.

28. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@AngleDrive Thanks so MUCH! Just what I needed to see. Once again thanks.