Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Oil light is on (low pressure?)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by joseangel_1976, Aug 13, 2019.

1. LOL! " Show Me Lynn".

Ben

lake_harley likes this.
  2. More like realistic.. And honest.

Ben

jimgoetz likes this.
  3. If the cars burning through oil that fast you have much worse issues to worry about

olscrounger and Deuces like this.
  4. Deuces

Deuces

Maybe he don't care......

olscrounger and Old wolf like this.
  5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Yes, but it is in a none traditional location.........o_O

Ray

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK.. don't know why but I had 2 different engines, one a sbc, that were rebuilt and clean: they were not junkers or worn out engines After break in, oil was changed to Valvoline 10-30. After engine were warm the idle oil pressure went to under 5 psi on one (sbc) and the other one rested on the "zero" peg. Changed the oil to Castrol GTX 10-30 and the sbc idled warm at 30 and the other engine 20. Never ran Valvoline again in a daily driver.
    Just my experience. Can't explain it and really don't care to. I'm sure others may have had this problem or a some problem they could explain with using a different brand oil.

slowmotion and Deuces like this.
  7. WOW! Ray, you are alert!

Ben

Deuces likes this.
  8. joseangel_1976

joseangel_1976

Yea thats what I'm going to do and also change the oil sending unit and see what happens

9. joseangel_1976

joseangel_1976

Haha its weird tho when I lived in California I never burned thru that much oil. I towed it to Texas and I use it here now more as a daily driver for 3 months and just stopped and use it as a cruiser on weekends. I also it burned thru oil when my brother changed the oil for me. I wonder if the bolt is licking oil and it's snugged in tight. Today I saw a spot where had a drain of oil spill from my cadi on the floor. That's why I want to do brand new oil, new filter new oil sending unit and tighten up the bolt. Not gonna lie tho u do see a puff of smoke come out of the exhaust lol I mean only when it gets a bit hotter loll

10. joseangel_1976

joseangel_1976

Yea pretty much lol lucas here we come

11. Deuces

Deuces

12. southcross2631

southcross2631

I had an old Chevy 2 wagon. 6 cylinder automatic daily driver. Stopped at a party store and added a quart of no name oil . Drove the car about 20 miles and the oil light came on.
    I was in the middle of a hurricane evacuation so I had my tools in a uhaul trailer and a filter.Stopped at a store and bought 5 qts. of Texaco Havoline and dumped the oil and filter. Poured in the new oil and cranked it up and the lifter clatter went away and the oil light went out.
    Learned my lesson about mixing brands of oil . If you are using or leaking that much oil, I would change the oil and filter check for bad gaskets and blow by. Put a good straight grade oil in it and then check your oil consumption.

13. sunbeam

sunbeam

I used to run a grain elevator and sold Mystic oil one my customers wanted to change oil brands because his supplier stopped taking barrel returns. He was thinking about an overhaul on the Cummings engine in his tractor it was close to 2 gallon a day threshold he changed to mystic and it dropped one quart per day. So there is a difference in oils both oils were 30w..

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  14. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

15. Hey Joseangel,
    Do you use synthetic oil in your Caddy? I assume it is the original 390 engine?
    If it wasn’t using a huge amount of oil before you moved and your brother changed it for you,,,maybe it is just a healthy leak,,,or should I say a very unhealthy leak.
    Change the oil and filter and use a good original style conventional oil.
    Also,,,you might try using some Marvel in the oil as well,,,in case you have a stuck ring or two. Look over the drain plug area really well,,,,in case it is not sealing good.
    I wasn’t trying to make light of your problems,,,I had just never heard of such high oil consumption. Also,,,,I have seen some filters leak around the seal area,,,,they would only leak during use when it was under pressure. Good luck! Keep us informed on your results

Tommy

16. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, keeping track of how much oil you have is ridiculous. We'd all have more time to overhaul our engines if we stopped checking our oil levels.

Truck64 and Deuces like this.
  17. joseangel_1976

joseangel_1976

Hi Tommy thank u so much i was thinking of putting in some MMO in there and definitely going inspect everything change it myself and go from there. Keep u posted. :)

18. 66gmc

66gmc

I found that the cheap oil filters dont always seal properly on older engines. One of the old parts guys at napa talked me into putting an economy filter on the 40 year old sbc in my daily. The car started using massive amounts of oil shortly after. It would only puke oil at certain temperatures, thought it was the rear main until I saw oil literally pouring out one day. Went back to running a quality filter and havent had an issue since. If the car started using more oil after its last oil change I would definately check the filter for leaks.

19. What was the old saying? "Fill the oil, and check the gas "...

Old wolf likes this.
  20. David Chandler

David Chandler

Don't laugh, but I had a 64 Rambler that used a quart every 32 miles. That was my daily drive, and every day it was down one quart. But it didn't smoke much at all. It just blew it out of every possible location. Tough engine, I did my best to kill it, but it wouldn't die. I was very happy to get rid of that car.

21. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

In my younger days (1954 or so) I worked as a gas monkey at a Texaco station and I drove a 48 Merc coupe that smoked like a chimney, all my oil changes were with Havoline brand oil, one day the Station started selling Oilsum brand as a up grade to oil changes, getting my oil for cheap I tried a change wiyh Oilsum what a amazing difference the oil consumption nearly stopped and the engine sounded so much quieter. So oil brand makes a big difference. Ralphie

22. slowmotion

slowmotion

Only bearing failure I ever had was a new DD, self maintained. Valvoline since day one @ 3K. Made it to 117K, rolled in a new set. Castrol since. Sold it years later with 220K+. Coincidence? Maybe..

23. joseangel_1976

joseangel_1976

Alright guys great news I replaced the oil sending unit, got a new WIX oil filter, 15 40w rotella 4 quarts and put half a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil and she's running smooth now. No more engine OIL LIGHT ;)

Desoto291Hemi and tb33anda3rd like this.
  24. Great job Jose,
    Keep us informed about your oil usage.
    Maybe that will fix your whole problem.

Tommy

25. Five.0Forty

Five.0Forty
    from Oklahoma

I have an OT 4 door 1980s mercury I use as a backup car, it BURNS 1-2 qts every 200 miles (the coat of buildup and grease is to thick for the oil to make it past these days). When I start it up the thing disappears into a cloud of smoke. Because I almost never drive it I start it and let it idle while I mow the grass, I've had at least 5 people stop because they thought it was on fire. If this isn't the case with your Caddy, I'd say put it on the ramps running so you can get under it and find your leak.

26. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

How is your dipstick "inaccurate"? And did you see the picture of the clogged oil pick up? You get that kind of thing when you keep adding oil and never change oil.

27. I had a 215 Pontiac 6 in a Chevy C30 truck. I would top off the oil, go to the beach and back and be down 3 quarts, which is about 20 miles at the most. It blew oil out of everywhere. I had a shop rag wired around the filer cap, but would say most came out of the exhaust. When I was changing the engine, I dumped the oil and coolant, drove it around the neighborhood for a good 30 minutes, I couldn't even get it to knock, much less blow.