Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anyone Running Polished Stainless Steel Lake Headers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blues4U, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Pictures of the new polished SS headers look great, but people claim they discolor when used due to the temperature of the exhaust. Anyone have experience with them, or better yet, pics of the headers after discoloration?

2. 62SY4

62SY4
    from Irwin, Pa

Can't post any pictures, off topic. But coloration/discoloration is a function of exhaust gas temperature which is also a function of distance from heat source. Dependant on temperature I'd expect blues, purples, browns and yellows. Search Google for temper oxide.

3. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

here's mine 5600 miles over the last year. not lake style though. changing to lake style with dual exhaust next year. long term wouldn't do it. for me a hundred dollars a year isn't bad and i can change them myself. keeps it fresh. cheap shoes every year or a good pair once every five. your choice. money is about the same. pay up front or yearly. DSCF7565.JPG DSCF7566.JPG

4. Yep, they discolor with heat. I've run a few sets on motorcycles and the pic above is pretty typical of what they'll end up looking like. The discoloration will buff off if you can get a buff into where you need to, but will come right back.

My experience is they'll discolor right at the flange for 3-4 inches, and at any bends within about 18" of the flange.

loudbang likes this.

5. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

pics in the daylight. DSCF7571.JPG DSCF7572.JPG

loudbang and Blues4U like this.
  6. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Thank you @fastcar1953 for the pics. I'm thinking of changing from the flat black painted headers to polished stainless steel. The pics do help. Are you going with polished stainless again with the lakes headers?

loudbang likes this.
  7. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

yes i bought the cheap ones on ebay. they would be easy to change when i need to plus they only cost $100 shipped to my door , if they have best offer try $90. i have a open truck like yours. just unbolt the flanges and swap them.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019