Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Grant Spaulding Distributor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1twisted1, Aug 16, 2019.

1. 1twisted1

1twisted1

IS anybody still rebuilding these, if so WHO?

Are parts available for rebuilt?

What's a rebuilt cost roughly????

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  2. a friend of mine runs one. I will ask him were he got the parts.

Max Gearhead and 1twisted1 like this.
  3. deadbeat

deadbeat

are you talking about these type, if so I will be watching this as well. Cheers Ed 6 x 2 intake.jpg

4. 1twisted1

1twisted1

YUP that the one I'm taking about!!!!!

deadbeat likes this.

5. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

yes i rebuild them , however due to sickness and back orders i am way behind. keep me in mind for later. Parts are hard to get although i do have a box or two full of parts...Expensive??? usually runs approx $450 and includes the unit ready to drop in and run with twin bosch ignition coils ( dont require a resistor) and new hd contact points with vertex mags condensor ( the very best ).... I have quite a few guys our there driving tons of miles with them. It really two four cylinder ignition systems ....

6. 1twisted1

1twisted1

Thanks for the reply sir. you will be hearing from me soon. So if I sent you one, what would I be looking at 2-3 months or 6 + months to get it back?

Scott Mize likes this.
  7. jon flannery

jon flannery

How about a year wait if your lucky.

8. Scott Mize

Scott Mize

The Bosch blue coils and vertex condensers are really good. We run the same combo on our Dual cap rotofaze distributor. Gmcbubba recommended those to us also.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

deadbeat and 1twisted1 like this.
  9. 1twisted1

1twisted1

Wow A year out!! And the price is getting close to what a mag would cost( purchase + rebuild), might have to just go the mag route.

10. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

I know these distributors very well ran one for 5 years on my ‘46..
    The only parts available are points and condensers but unless your missing the lid or plug wire caps the points are all you will need. The advance weights are located in the bottom drive housing and any distributor shop can put a advance curve to match your engine set up. The points are late ‘50’s -early ‘60’s Ford. One set is from a six cylinder and other is from a V8. They are a mirror opposite match. Set them both at .015 gap or 55 to 60 degrees of dwell. They must also be adjusted in phase at 45 degrees apart on a distributor machine . The distributor shop can do this while setting up the advance curve...I ran dual Judson coils . They look cool and work great! I know run a Roto Faze dual coil distributor with the Judson’s.
    The brace and copper contacts on the caps and the unique central rotor can be cleaned with a scotchbrite pad . To freshen up the look of the body just Mask everything up carefully sand the body and paint it orange if it’s a Grant. The earlier Spaldings were red. But you can paint it to match your engine or any color you like.
    These were designed by Tom Spaulding around 1961 and sold to Grant Industries around 1965-1967

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

11. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Just like building or restoring an old car/truck, buy multiples just for the parts. Some rotate clockwise others counter clockwise. Their really quite simple and if you don't have a distributor machine your engine, tachometer, marked harmonic balancer, and little trial & error you can do it yourself.

deadbeat likes this.
  12. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

I have a nice Vertex For Chevy for sale with a joe Hunt degree ring if your interested.
    And I ran a flamethrower for about 8 years . The points are early ‘60’s Ford . One is 6 cylinder and other is a mirror opposite from a V8. Use blue streak or Accel . Set at 60-62 degrees dwell on a sun machine . Set advance to be all in at 2,500 and limit the total advance to 15 -20 degrees at the crank . Scotch brite the copper rings on the spool rotor and clean the side caps. I ran dual Judson coils and still do with my Roto Faze dual cap.

Max Gearhead likes this.
  13. bchctybob

bchctybob

Quicksilverart46, not to hijack the thread but can the Judson coils be run in any position or do they have to be vertical with the coil wire up? (Down?). I have two and was hoping to run them with an NOS W&H DuCoil I have. If you have the instructions could you post them?
    OP, $450 sounds fair to me, especially for such a great old part all set up and ready to run again. Just run a stock distributor until yours comes back.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Kreepea_1 and quicksilverart46 like this.
  14. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

I do have the Judson coil instructions . Im crazy busy for the next few days but I will take a look and let you know about the mounting soon . Im fairly sure the design was meant to be mounted with primary wires on top and secondary out the bottom.

15. hotrodtopo

hotrodtopo

Regarding your HAMB entry dated January 2020.
    I have a Rotofaze dual caps, points, coils distributor.
    Plan to put it in my Vintage B/A restoration project.
    Which points did you run in the Rotofaze Dual Cap, Points, Coil distributor ? Were they the early Ford ( 50's - 60's ), one for V8 and one for 6 cylinder ? Might you recall the part numbers ?
    Thanks, Greg

16. 1twisted1

1twisted1

never ran it, it along with the blower went over sea's

17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/roto-faze.1273871/#post-14606907
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...do-a-show-your-ignition-parts-thread.1206911/