Register now to get rid of these ads!

History this is a 1955 dragster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ol skool chevy, Aug 14, 2019.

1. ol skool chevy

ol skool chevy

it was at the boston world of wheels 2019 old drag (1).jpg old drag (2).jpg old drag (3).jpg old drag (4).jpg old drag (5).jpg old drag (6).jpg old drag (7).jpg old drag (8).jpg old drag (9).jpg old drag (10).jpg old drag (11).jpg old drag (12).jpg old drag (13).jpg old drag (14).jpg old drag (15).jpg old drag (16).jpg old drag (17).jpg old drag (18).jpg old drag (19).jpg old drag (20).jpg old drag (21).jpg old drag (22).jpg old drag (23).jpg old drag (25).jpg old drag (26).jpg old drag (27).jpg old drag (28).jpg sunday (1).jpg sunday (2).jpg

2. Budget36

Budget36

Wow, no Tin at all! Wonder why the stub was left sticking out pinched on the frame rail off the motor mount?

loudbang likes this.
  3. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

bannister brothers ? …. Aldrich caretaker

4. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Sort of looks like the remnants of side "crash bars", as were used on circle track type cars. Could the frame have originally been a circle track and re-purposed to drag? The "stubs" are positioned correctly for that, and are on both sides. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

6. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Ok, I will be the one....I will admit Im not in the know about alot of this high performance engine stuff, so I will ask
    I will assume that pulley to the top left is there to let the belt clear whatever that extra magneto thing is? but what is the thing to the top right? a fuel pump for fuel injection or something?
    upload_2019-8-15_19-42-2.jpeg
    Aslo notice some other interesting things in particular,
    Wonder why they didnt go ahead and paint that steering linkage as well?
    but more importantly, All these old dragsters look pretty scary in the seating area, straddling the differential etc. but this one with nothing more than that seat, sitting in there like a monkey, feet in the air for the pedals:eek:
    The guy that had balls big enough to drive that, probably would need a skid plate on em, considering:D

...I would however kinda like to try it, seeing how its already been tested:cool:...:D

7. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

^^^One is an idler, the other is the fuel pump.^^^ Not sure why it needs a fuel pump, since there are no hoses coming from it, and I don't see any carburetors. It does appear the front of the drop link is't even "connected", let alone painted. Probably ran out of time for whatever show this was at. There is a 1/4" thick steel plate around the rear of the differential housing to protect the family jewels. My FED in the late 70's/early 80's had a similar plate welded to the 57 Pont/Olds housing, almost everyone still made comments about just how you sat, and what was in harms way. I never worried about it, after all, the FED was NHRA "legal"; surely they knew more than I did. Right...........................
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

8. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Not a Bannister car or recreation of one.

Yes, Paul Aldrich is the caretaker. I should know the name of the original builder but it ran a bit before I was getting to the drags. I can't remember how much is original and how much has had to be recreated. I do know any original parts Paul can't find after extensive searching and has to build that he does very thorough research to get everything as close to original as possible.

Looks like a set of Hilborn injectors without the stacks on top to me. Have to look close to see the hoses to and from the pump.

Ed

deadbeat, chryslerfan55 and HunterYJ like this.
  9. Yankee Rodder

Yankee Rodder

The car was built by Dave Jackson from Maynard, Ma. with some help with welding by Bob Hitchcock. Dave's mother made the canvas seat and Dave used his bed pillow as a seat cushion. The car ran in New England in the mid 1950's.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

deadbeat and kidcampbell71 like this.
  10. Slicker than owl shit.

11. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Thanks for the recharge of my memory and additional history. When I first saw the OP I scanned my CCSRB book but in haste and without a name I missed the info and pictures on pages 122-125. Just now noticed the picture of the car on the back dust cover - duh...

Seeing cars like this one at shows now really gives meaning to how they "let it all hang out" with their innovation back then.

Ed

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. This must be where the term "rail job" originated.

13. Paul Aldrich strikes again. If anyone is into early New England dragsters, or hot rods, Paul is the man.

deadbeat likes this.
  14. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

To me, it just shows how far ahead the Calif. cars were. It's in a car show, where it belonged.

(flame, flame, flame . . . )

15. gsjohnny

gsjohnny

we run a '68 fed and have had the red guys say they wouldn't drive a fed. I look at this one and think they were nuts! I had lot cars better than that. lol