Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ca Issues towed projects

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carpunk, Aug 15, 2019.

1. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Apparently the homeless tents and bicycles all over the streets in California aren't as much of a problem as peoples cars. Personally I'd rather look at an old car in a driveway then the tent cities that have sprung up, but maybe that's just me.

2. Oh, you're so intolerant.................

carpunk and 31hotrodguy like this.
  3. CA. 280

CA. 280

Also depends on what part of town you live in. Napa has lots of parking restrictions that are not enforced unless someone complains. Some areas have lots of complainers.

Cosmo50 likes this.
  4. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

here is how San Diego works

If it's parked on city street it must be registered and be driveable
    If it's parked on your property and visible from the street it does not have to be registered but must be driveable

All that said if it appears undriveable it can be tagged to be moved in 72 hours after that it can be towed, something as little as a flat tire parked on your property and visible.

On a city street all someone has to do is say it's been there a long time and they can tag it to be moved in 72 hours and tow it if you don't even though it's registered and driveable....

Hot Rods Ta Hell likes this.
  5. 31Apickup

31Apickup

If it was in a residential area, and there is no state rule, but possible only a local ordinance, why would CHP even be involved. It would be local city police or city ordinance officer.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

31hotrodguy likes this.
  6. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Some folks don't know the difference between state, county, and local law enforcement. Cops is cops, I guess.

7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The guy who lives next door to me has 2 cars with flat tires in his driveway, neither covered or currently registered. Been notified once or twice but nothing gets done. Has a $80K Tesla in the garage. I'm always goofing with my 56 in the garage and can put the door down if needed. No I didn't turn him in.
    A friend lives in a HOA and a busy-body neighbor wrote to the association board that there was a "race car" in his garage. True there is a 2004 Firebird Bonneville race car there but it is never ran without mufflers and loaded into his trailer with a winch...Some folks just need to bitch.

31hotrodguy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

this is why I live in an industrial complex.

9. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

10. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I'm guessing that if you live in a industrial area, you're probably breaking some law.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  11. mountainman2

mountainman2

I live in the center of 50 acres and it's starting to feel too small.:eek:

12. Lol. Loft spaces in Dallas, are available in industrial areas. With kitchens, and full baths. Never broke any laws, but likely did bend some ordinances.

On the yearly fire inspections ... they would look for bedding. I always had an out of state cell phone, so I never answered the door, EVER. After 2 or 3 notices, I'd call them .. and tell them I'm out of town, don't live there ... but I'd mail them my keys to search as they see fit. They always passed. I'd get a year pass, before doing it again.

I loved living in that space. 40 by 40 footprint, with a cat walk, mezzanine, and upper loft about 700 ft. Great fun, and always quiet ... if warranted. Although, you could do full, tire destroying burnouts, and unmuffled engine start ups all weekend. Best 5 years of my life.

13. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

It's against the rules there to have a race car in your own freaking garage???? What kind of bull is that?

14. I moved from the city to the country 60 years ago. Never looked back.

irishsteve and kidcampbell71 like this.
  15. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

It's a sad day indeed when law enforcement can go on private property and tow away a person's possessions just because it's currently not in operating condition or somebody doesn't like the looks of it. Sounds more like the communist bloc than the USA, no matter what city and state it's in.....

16. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Not in my HOA. It was Covenants, Conditions and Rules. "Restrictions" was later added to change from "rules to "restrictions'.

Mine was 37 years ago and I will never ever buy into an HOA again.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  17. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They can suck! But on the up side, as an ACC member, I protect property values by keeping nice color blind people from painting their homes purple or prevent others from adding a "tiny house" to their lot. And the guy that asked me to come down Friday and approve his "she shed" did slip me a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue for "the effort". Obviously I build cars at my home in a strict CCR controlled environment, it's all in the "how you do it" that keeps you coloring within the lines. Oh, I approved the she shed....I think :cool:

Flathead Dave and lumpy 63 like this.
  18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Laws are made by elected officials. Don't like the laws? You know what to do.

If you cannot get enough folks to vote for you, or someone you like, then you also know what to do.

In California, all laws are required to be in plain language, that is easily understood by anyone with an 8th grade education, and easily accessible to the general public. Not knowing them is not a valid excuse. Not following them is a valid form of protest, for which you will bear all responsibility.

If some people on this board spent the same amount of time working on their projects, as they did complaining about each and every thing that they don't like, including politics, bashing California, they would not have to worry about having incomplete cars in the driveway.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    safetythird, partsdawg, X-cpe and 5 others like this.
  19. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

100% agree

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  20. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Napa has a lot of restricted sphincters in the downtown "tourist" establishment lol...

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  21. Dang, glad I live in Oklahoma, and not in the city limits. I have a 55 Ford, 56 Ford, 77 Lincoln, and a car trailer parked next to my shop. They are all on concrete though. My neighbor has a 56 Chevy wagon, 39 Ford, 29 model A, two trailers, and a pickup parked by his shop all on gravel, and the guy across the street has a 60 Chevy pickup, 69 chevy pickup, and a camaro. The guy up the road has two many Mopars to count and an airplane in his yard. No one bitches a bit. I'll never live in a place with an HOA, or California either. Wish you guys all the luck.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back to the original vehicles that are the subject of the thread.
    Ignored notices? I'd think that with the city there would be X number of days to comply with a notice.
    Cars that had tabs and ran and drove not driven in a serious length of time? I don't have much sympathy there having pushed a car around the yard in a town and Texas and having kept it washed often enough that most of the neighbors thought it ran and drove. Every time I mowed the yard everything running or not got moved so there was no grass or weeds growing up around them. They also changed positions rather often.
    I live in the middle of a 70 Acre hay field on an indian reservation so I don't get bothered but I move my cars and other stuff around the place on a regular basis and keep the cars reasonably washed just so the individuals who might try to figure out if anyone is home or not is more than a bit confused. Even my friends down the road and my mom who lives next door can't tell if I am home or not by looking at the vehicles sitting in the yard.
    I don't know how the hell a city can legally tow a car that has current tabs on it that are in full view. If the weeds grew up around it so high that you couldn't see the plates that might be the real issue. The other issue might be that the city is pushing to clean out the real junkers as in those stripped front wheel drive hulks that we tend to see on side streets in the lower rent section of town and the person in charge of hunting them down and posting notices and they and the wrecker/impound outfit have decided that there is far more profit in hauling off complete project cars that are sitting around rather than hassling with the engineless wheelless hulks in the rougher sections of town.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  23. wicarnut

wicarnut

Nobody wants a junkyard next door, the neighbor that does not take care of his property, etc. Understand your codes/ordinances, As some said, store your junk properly and these type of issues will not be a problem. I lived in a small town for 30 years that the city grew out to and the neighborhood changed, big high dollar subdivisions all over. I got called out on a race trailer ( nice trailer, not a POS ) setting in my driveway during summer, also too many cars in my driveways because someone complained, they did not like seeing this when they drove by on their way to work, I appeared before the town board and agreed to store trailer behind my garage and they understood the car count , 5 kids, 3 driving own car, my car, truck, wife's car. I was not offended as I was aware of our local ordinances, I was surprised it lasted as long as it did, enjoyed the 30 years there, retired and it was time to move on, again to a small town community, received the covenant/ordinances when purchased land. IMO you have to have some rules, especially now as our great country has/is dumbing down to a dangerous level, Scary stupid.

kidcampbell71, Paul and gimpyshotrods like this.
  24. wicarnut

wicarnut

Forgot this part of story. KARMA, a follow up my post #53, heard this from a town board member. The man that filed complaint on my trailer/cars in driveway started to be a nuisance driving around neighborhood writing up various violations as he wanted to run for a board position on his cleaning up the neighborhood record. So............. local board members set a meeting with him at his house to talk things over and it turns out he was quite the DIY guy, many major home improvements without permits and several code violations, end of problem, he sold home and moved on to be a PIA somewhere else. Moral of story, do not be a PIA to your local town board. I got to know them all on a first name basis, bought them a beer when seeing them at lunch or community function, funny I never had any permit, or permit variance problems ever.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  25. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

There are areas within San Diego County where there is split coverage. Many cities within the county do not have a city police dept (or Fire Dept). They contract policing with the San Diego County Sheriff's Dept. I live in a semi rural city which is Policed by the Sheriff but the CHP has jurisdiction for traffic including vehicle accidents and towing. Couple of years ago someone abandoned a stripped SUV curbside over night. My Wife called the CHP to report it. Within 10 minutes, CHP were on site and within another 10 minutes, a tow truck was hauling it off.

While HOA's exist with the great intention to keep people from parking RV's on their front lawn and painting their home Shrek green, you illustrate exactly why they're despised; "politics and bribes". The HOA board of director's always seem to have way too much discretion when interpreting the rules. The good ol boy network and whether or not they like you always seem to drive decisions and generally speaking, they don't give any breaks to home owners that are into specialized or recreational vehicles. My buddy was turned down after applying to replace his fence with a cedar fence. He promptly pointed out that the HOA' president had just installed the same fence on his lot. "Do I get the green light now or are you taking your fence down"? Boy were they pissed, lol!
    An old car guy I know, he and his Wife toured a just opened Model home in a new development startup that had not yet started building homes. They were selling floor plans and lots. They made an offer on the Model home itself which was accepted. The deal was completed, however they were not able to take possession for 6 months. No problem. Fast forward, 6 months. The development is built out, families are moving in. Turns out the development adopted an HOA early on, but not prior to his purchase so he was the only home not bound by HOA rules. They would send letters and door knock asking him to join. He'd ask "what's in it for me"? After turning them down for free lifetime membership, they threatened to sue him into joining. His standard answer would be "you don't stand a chance-get off my porch and you've pissed me off to the point that I'll not mow my yard for a month" and he'd hold to it.

Towing fees vary by jurisdiction here. My Nephew drove a tow truck for a towing Co here and told me how shady the operations are in the industry. Minimum wage with generous commissions on any towed vehicles. The driver's proactively cruised private property parking lots (rather than sit roadside while waiting for dispatched calls) that were under contract with the tow Co. looking for vehicles to snatch up. All this without a call from the apartment complex or shopping center management. Kickbacks were common as was lying in wait, such as watching people park in a shopping center lot (signed with 'customer parking only') across from the Sports Arena (to save $20 parking fee) then snagging their car as soon as they crossed the street. An easy couple dozen cars impounded during the sporting event or concert every time.
    Their other trick was to grab the registration card from the glove box while the car was in the impound lot. Owner shows looking to get his vehicle out of towing jail. Needs proof of ownership along with payment. Asks to see car, figuring he'll grab the card from the glove box. Hmm, not there. It's back home to look for a copy or maybe a trip to the DMV. Tow yard racks up another day's storage fees.
    If you get impounded bail it out quick, as fees can quickly rack into the hundreds real quick!
    One tow Co here has a weekly auction that's good for about 200 vehicles. Sure, some were abandoned but a lot were owned by people that simply do not have the money to get the car out of impound or the fees have tacked higher than the value of the vehicle. There are cases where a car hammer's for far less than the tow bill, and guess what, the towing co can sue you looking for the difference.

26. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I used to drive for a company whose main existence was to do just exactly what you have stated. A small town back east with a large college student population, a lot of jam-packed bars uptown on weekends, and extremely limited parking as they did not have cars when the town was established in 1804. I had one space (yes, one space) in the municipal parking lot that we were contracted to tow from, and it always had one parked in it every 30 minutes on weekend nights. The tow companies would actually pay the lot owners for the privilege of towing cars from them, all clearly and plainly marked "Private Parking, Violators Will be Towed at Owner's Expense". So be aware, just because you want to park someplace, doesn't mean it's a good idea, especially if it is posted as above.

27. carpunk

carpunk

So... I have the cars here stored for
    Him they ARE tagged and they DO run
    I got a bit more info
    Apparently a guy came around in a CAR and discretely put stickers not in plain view on lots of cars not just this guy and his neighbours
    The NEXT DAY a tow truck appears and starts taking them all.
    The charges are so outrageous that most won't collect PLUS the tow place is GET THIS
    Only open 9-5 Monday thru Friday so people that actually work for living are pretty much screwed.
    It's not a junkyard it's a nice appartment complex
    And the covered parking spaces are allocated .
    He is taking legal advise and chasing them for
    The costs.
    Another twist.... one car was returned to the exact same spot by a naighbour and the discreet guy in the car re appeared on another " fishing trip"

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  28. carpunk

carpunk

Dont make assumptions but I once lived in an CA hoa gated community nice house nice landscaping and I understand some concerns
    I had a " warning" as it was alledged i was testing " race car engines" inside the garage basicly I fitted an engine started it and switched it off within 30 seconds .
    We would get " warnings" if the trash can wasn't back in place by evening and if the free newspapers were not picked up the same evening. God forbid you did any oil change or basic maintanancd behind closed doors. Works truck parked outside or anything THEY deem comeercial? Forget it
    All this was enforced by this wonderful tolerant preaching do gooder cartoon like gay couple who
    Would " patrol" walking there f"*cking poodles
    Long story short sold the place made money and gtfo now have acres and lots of inside storage
    But I can confirm yes the stereotypes do exist in CA but theres more people who are not like that unfortunately me included a lot move out of the sanctuary utopia
    Basicly the casualties of the 60,s who
    Never died of disease or and drugs got in power and are busy trying to destroy it
    Except it's not the 60,s any more maaaaan As for
    Hot rod tollerence I allways wondered as a little kid looking at hot rod magazines at parts why it would say " not legal in ca" Sorry if that offends anybody it offended me too thats why i left I just hope that BS doesnt follow me. The cars towed were in Sacramento and i hear its quite the scam over there.