Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How to title an antique car in Michigan when bought from a state with no titles for older vehicles?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FolksWaggin, Aug 16, 2019.

1. FolksWaggin

FolksWaggin

I just sold my old Ford F100 (which I had registered in Connecticut) to a family member in Michigan. CT doesn't have titles for classic cars, but apparently all vehicles in MI need titles to transfer ownership.

I did a thorough web search and was surprised that I couldn't find anyone else discussing methods for bringing a classic vehicle into Michigan after purchasing in a no-title state. And for some weird reason, the MI DMV told my relative that their computer database said it was titled in CT, but that is definitely not the case.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

2. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

Tell the new Michigan owner to go to the Secretary of State with the CT registration and bill of sale. Make sure both names are on the bill of sale and it never hurts to get it notarized. Assuming both are legitimate it won't be a problem. Several states do not issue titles for cars that are 25 years or older and these cars often get sold to states that require a title.

Now, it is always important to remember that the person at the Michigan Secretary of State that you encounter may know nothing about this and will tell you that you need a title. Ask to speak to a supervisor, or, come back at a later time or go to a different office. Remember, while each employee processes hundreds of requests every day, they may have never encountered this situation before and don't know how to handle it. Many are just lazy and won't put forth the effort required for something out of the ordinary.

It is doable thing. I have done it and so have many others. Sometimes you just need to find the right person who knows how to handle it.

bobwop, Boneyard51, Hnstray and 5 others like this.
  3. ...Did your search actually include the Michigan DMV website?

4. FolksWaggin

FolksWaggin

Thanks! I'll let him know. Yeah, I've had similar experiences in CT–you either have to luck out and get a knowledgable person, or politely ask them to check with their manager.

Boneyard51 likes this.

5. FolksWaggin

FolksWaggin

Yup. I found a bunch of pages about title procedures, but none explicitly described this type of situation. Every reference to buying from out of state said "get the title from the original owner" and nothing suggested that the out of state vehicle might not have one.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I'll give my usual recommendation; Hire a 3rd party vehicle registration service that specializes in old cars (ask around) to take care of the titling and ownership transfer!
    They'll print out and have you sign what doc's need to be signed. They know exactly what needs to be done, will do all the legwork and have it ironed out in the amount of time you make your first 3 trips to the DMV.
    It'll be the best couple hundred bucks you ever spent. It'll save you the frustration, anxiety and Maalox of jumping through all the flaming hoops.
    Most of us farm out plating, polishing, paint and upholstery. Farm this out too as part of old car ownership!

7. I would suggest going to the DMV and ask them what you have to do.

I know in South Carolina it's a nightmare. HRP

8. buford36

buford36
    from Maine

That's the best advice. Maine also doesn't have title for older cars, and a few cars I sold to out of state states that want a title, the key is getting a KNOWLEDGEABLE clerk or one who is willing to take the time to research the rules. Tom...

Boneyard51 and FolksWaggin like this.
  9. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

I bought a CT. car a couple years back and brought it to NC and had to have it bonded. Which wasn't a big deal. The DMV gives you a packet to start the process and you buy a bond from your insurance company.

rockable and Boneyard51 like this.
  10. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

In many cases you have to register it in the state you bought it and the reregister it in the state you live , that way it is in your name and all states have to recognize how other states register cars and trucks .

Boneyard51 likes this.
  11. no55mad

no55mad

Have them check in the Polk Manual.