Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ca Issues towed projects

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carpunk, Aug 15, 2019.

1. carpunk

carpunk

sorry if this is the wrong area to post?

So a buddy calls me from
    and says his friend went on vacation and was told by a neighbor That 3 cars were towed from his place no notice no stickers nothing the issue is ( I'm told) that because 2 never got registered to him as they were yard find projects he can't even get them back / collect them! And the one that is in his name AND REGISTERED they still towed it ! he can collect that one but they won't allow anybody else even if he authorizes it to collect it and will keep charging untill he himself is available in person when he gets back from vacation. They have been there like 2 days and they want $540 per car plus some other bs fees and it gos up I think like $100 each day they also close at 5pm if I go remove them for him first thing tmw it's $605 for one.
    So any regular working guy can't even do anything about it and if they do come to let you in after 5pm it's another $110. is this Normal? I've never had to deal with it but I have heard other stories

2. I see project cars in people's driveways and yards all over California.
    California is super hot rod friendly. You can register your cars easily without inspections, cops seems to give you the thumbs up wherever you go etc.
    Sounds like he either has a neighbor with a bone to pick, or lives in a neighborhood with CC&R's.

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

imagine that there is more to this story than stated. but, know of people that have had to remove vehicles from public view on their property. know of another that had to remove vehicles from private property not visible by public because they were deteriorating and gas and coolant leaking out.

stillrunners and gimpyshotrods like this.
  4. I am not 100% sure about cali
    But here in AZ if vehicle impounded you MUST have proof of ownership in your name or notarized power of attorney from owner with title or current registration before car is released.
    But I bet it is close to same.
    As stated above does this guy live in a HOA?

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We had a city official in cahoots with a less than stellar towing outfit that was towing project cars out of people's driveways a few years ago. It was under the guise of them being derilect vehicles but they tangled with the wrong people when they towed my friends 56 Chev from his driveway and his dad who had some serious political clout nailed them to the wall. They ended up having to return several cars to the owners before it was over. Had trouble with some local busy body biddies in McGregor Tx years ago but I did have plates and current tabs for that car. There as long as it had current tabs the city wouldn't bother you.

Sent from my VS988 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. It depends on the city you live in. In some cities you cannot even work on your car in the driveway. Others don't give a shit. Bottom line here is, if you have cars, or projects that don't run, keep them behind a fence, out of public view.

7. You must live in a different Calif than the one I do..........

8. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

I’m curious to know what part of California??? That would help. Yes, different areas have different laws regarding “front yard art.”

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

nochop likes this.
  9. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I got cited for parking on gravel. Vehicles must be parked on pavement or concrete. Move or tow.

49ratfink likes this.
  10. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

If the tags are not up to date you can get ticketed and towed. The Peoples Republic California I live in gave me a ticket for doing a oil change in my driveway. Need to be in the garage with the door closed.

11. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Sounds like they were parked on the street or public property. Not licensed+parked on the street=towed.

12. I agree, must be a little more to the story. I feel for anyone who is forced to live in a place where there is any kind of HOA. Those things seem to breed wackos.

kiwijeff and gimpyshotrods like this.
  13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a local issue, not a state issue.

XXL__ likes this.
  14. I could never live there.:D

15. Raising the brown flag here. California has no such law. Maybe you were in violation of local ordinance. The cops don't enforce HOA or CC&Rs. They also don't bust people for talking in the library or reading magazines at the 7-11

XXL__, Hombre, nochop and 8 others like this.
  16. First thing I would do is find out who initiated this thing and if they had any authority to do so. There are numerous towing scams going on these days.

17. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

I think it's in Sacramento. There was stuff getting posted all over the internet about a new ordinance where you had to perform any "normal maintenance" inside your garage.

hidez57 likes this.
  18. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Wow.

Mass protest oil change in the governor's driveway! Don't forget the catch pan.

19. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cripes, is checking your oil/coolant/washer fluid considered normal maintenance?

And what the heck is a CC&R?

Bandit Billy likes this.
  20. Mimilan

Mimilan

What's not being told that could be the problem here.
    It is highly probable that the City had served notice on the offender, and it was ignored

But ,If your buddy is representing the truth as you explained , my advice is to "Lawyer up" and go for the throat. There are plenty of Ambulance chasers that would love a case like that.

Under the California Constitution lies a Declaration of Rights that refers to a process known as “due process.” Section 1 states, “A person may not be deprived of life, liberty, or property without due process of law or denied equal protection of the laws.” Due process can be found in the 5th and 14th amendments on federal, state, and local governmental levels.

City bylaws [eg: public eyesore] does not give them the right to override constitutional law.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    Hombre and gimpyshotrods like this.
  21. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Convenents; Conditions and Rules

Sent from my SM-G930T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  22. Road Racer

Road Racer

In Ca if it is visible, like a driveway, and not registered, they can ticket and tow it. A lot of cities in CA have laws regarding parking, storage, and servicing of vehicles. In some communities you can not have any truck with a commercial registration in the driveway, including your run of the mill f250 or duramax full size

49ratfink likes this.
  23. gimpyshotrods and Bandit Billy like this.
  24. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Close. Codes, Covenants and "Restrictions". The latter being much stronger than "rules".
    As a mortgage banker for 29 years and running, I read a lot of them and I am on the architectural committee in my subdivision so I have to not only read them but enforce them. I had to go down the street tonight to see a yard where one of the neighbors plans a 2 car shop of sorts. Finished to resemble the house and not visible from the street I approved. Don't leave cars in your driveway in this subdivision, they wont fair well.

25. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

26. Yeah Buddy....I'm a contractor and I deal with the CC&Rs on a daily basis. So, when I saw that I had to chime in.
    Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

I live in the county so it is a little better......then again the people I bought my 57 4dr hardtop from live in the county and they had to clean out their yard thus why I got it so cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. carpunk

carpunk

What I know ( am told) so far
    It's in Sacramento
    2 of the cars were registered tagged only a month ago they run and drive just dusty from not being used as he's away a lot. I'm not sure on the others
    The tow place claims these charges are nothing to do with them but just chp (imo I'm not buying this)
    The cars were not on the street but in residential complex in a designated parking spot
    The guy leaves town Tuesday and within hours a ticket was placed on them then Wednesday they're all towed
    He has titles but must be present to collect them
    He is getting legal advice.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  29. +1 for the legal advice.

30. Nobody is forced to live where a HOA exists. When you buy property in a HOA community you are provided a copy of the CC&R's along with the rest of the escrow papers. Don't like what you see? Cancel the escrow before it closes.

I keep my junk in my garage and occasionally work on it in the driveway. Never had a problem

gimpyshotrods and 31hotrodguy like this.