Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Do you lock your doors at car shows?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty rocket, Jul 22, 2019.

1. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

No I don't think so big shooter, it's the simple fact that a person should have enough sense not to touch someone else's car. What the hell do you think the gal that opened up my door would say if I see her at her local quilt shop and open up her door on her daily driver? I bet money that law enforcement would be called! Oh and by the way I do drive a roadster!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    Blues4U, chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  2. The irony for me in this statement is, no one is allowed to here and from this thread it is way more peaceful...

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. woodsnwater

woodsnwater
    from North Al.

Yeah it's like the wild west down here, I'd stay up there if I was you, tell your friends and loved ones too.

warbird1, Hombre and Blue-truck-nut45 like this.
  4. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

no BUT maybe I should , can I forget my 17 yr old son in the back seat, in the hot sun with the windows rolled up? Just jokin.........I don't have a back seat.

Deuces likes this.
  5. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

^^^^^^^^^^^^^WTH are talking about??????????????????????????

6. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Hahaha, that's what I was thinking, I mean, Jeeez, all he has to do is look at your profile pic. Let alone the single seater you're building.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. TERPU

TERPU

You missed my point completely, yes I saw the blue car and the modified. Great cars.

The point was - drive your car, let people enjoy your car, remember a time when you didn't or weren't fortunate enough to own a Hot Rod, and help those who don't "get it" to enjoy and get into the hobby. Don't sweat the small shit and turn an opportunity to be a grouchy malcontent who gives people a scowl and turns them off towards us into a positive for them. They'll be waaaay more apt to not be such a clueless individual if they get educated in a positive way.

And if a kid ever wants to sit in your car take the chance to be a hero and not the Grouchy Fuckin' Zero that tells 'em NO. Just make sure they are clean first. We drive Hot Rods for a reason. All I was sayin' is remember the reason that got you goin'. You're never too cool to make a positive difference. Lock your doors, put out your lawn chair, and scowl at everyone that gets close. If that sounds like a good time to you have at it. I'll be the guy with a crowded Tub, Roadster, Sedan, or a Pick up hauling kids and people around who are in love with Hot Rods.

Finger prints on the glass, dirt on the tires, and dusty paint all point towards a great time to me.

Remember all those things wash right off but smiles from good times last forever.

- Tim

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
  8. No fear of me moving there, I’m quite comfy in my igloo.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

31hotrodguy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. car doctor

car doctor

No I never lock mine and very seldom take the keys out. And also I have never put one of those do not touch signs on either!

10. Mike

Mike

Which one's Will?

11. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

I always leave my cars unlocked at shows, windows down if weather permits. Almost everyone wants to see the inside, and with some chicks, that's all they care about. I go to a show to share: if I like it enuff to own it, I figure others might as well. The Golden rule applys. I park it, clean it up, then go enjoy the show or the swap meet. Flyers are expected, there is usually a trash can nearby. I came back to the 29 Duesenberg one time and found a couple kids sitting in it, old enuff to know better. I kindly clued them in on car show etiquette and didn't get excited.
    I get it, the amount of time, money, and effort involved can make it scary. But no matter, the cars will out live me on earth, and when I'm outta here, it won't matter if someone sat in it.

12. Will is the one with the criminal forehead and the shifty eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. Blake 27

Blake 27

I've solved the issue of locking your car! Rusty.jpg problem solved.jpg
    Any other problems, don't be afraid to ask.

14. I tought my kids not to touch anybody's car, whether it's a friend's hot rod, or a Dodge caravan with peeling clear coat in a kmart parking lot. Never touch someone else's car without permission. Personally, I never worry about my car at shows...

15. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  16. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't lock my doors. Hell, I don't take the keys out of them.

When I am around, and I know I'm the rarity, if someone wants to look inside, be my guest. If it makes someone's day to sit in it, great. This is especially true if it is a kid or the elderly who "had one like it"

I think the discussion is about what happens when the owner is not present. For that, I believe it is all about education. Some people are raised by idiots and grow to be ignorant themselves. They touch things that aren't theirs, are critical when they don't understand, and are generally rude people. For that, I don't have a cure. I do, however, try to see the good in society and don't let the few ruin it for the many.

Want to turn off a whole generation of people about classic cars? Act like they are faberge eggs and yell at people for looking, walking to close, or smiling at a car all because of one or maybe a few bad experiences. Instead, enjoy your car. It's a only car after all. No matter what you do, they've all been in the rain and got bird shit on them.

It'll be OKAY!

17. gsnort

gsnort
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I did go to car shows, I invited kids, whose parent or parents were with the kids, to sit on the driver's seat and hold on to the steering wheel. The smile on everyone's faces was a smile to behold.

18. The kids you let sit in the seat, or take them for rides, are the future of the hot rod hobby... (My son and his friend. ) 20190809_120308.jpg

19. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

The flyer thing is out of hand around here!!! I'm driving the roadster these days and when I come back to it after looking at cars it looks like a waste basket! As many as 15 or so flyers in an afternoon. If it rained while they were on the seat------- good luck with that. I know what shows I want to go to, don't need a flyer fo Joe's bar car show or some other dip sh---t event!! The good shows send me an application or entry form in the mail!

20. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

Never locked the doors before. Never rolled up windows because I've never gotten that far in a build.
    But last year while in my hotel room I just happened to look out my window to check on my old Ford.
    There is a guy about my age opening my car door so what looked to be his mother could sit inside while he took her picture!
    I walked out on the second floor balcony in my underwear and yelled, Get the f@#k out of my car!
    They were completely oblivious to any wrongdoing. In my younger days it would not have even turned out that well for them.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  21. Deuces

Deuces

Some folks just don't get it..... :rolleyes:

lothiandon1940 and s55mercury66 like this.
  22. rfraze

rfraze

It would be a good idea for the DJ/announcer at shows to keep mentioning not to touch the cars, just to educate those who do not know. If it hasn't happened to you, it will.

23. jay t.

jay t.

You got that right. Years ago my father took his 64 Comet to a cruise night. He’s walking around and looks back at his car and sees a guy sitting on the trunk lid Indian style. Don’t know how he didn’t go to jail that night, my father that is

24. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Would you want some one to open the door to roll up your windows if it started raining?

25. Cymro

Cymro

I have a friend who never locks up his car, or winds up the windows, but the shotgun seat is usually inhabited by a rather large and territorial hound, no body goes near the car, go figure.

lothiandon1940 and Deuces like this.
  26. Roothawg

Roothawg

Same here. On all of it. It’s hard for folks to get into my cars when they are moving. I don’t do static car shows. Only driving events.

Deuces likes this.
  27. Deuces

Deuces

Nope! They could probably use a bath..... I know, that's cold...:oops:

28. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_2182.JPG This shows I always lock my doors.. windows open or not. Today someone pushing on the handle button would be stumped if it didn't open..

rfraze likes this.