Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Hot Rod Cover Cars at the 2019 Pebble Beach Concours

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Apr 18, 2019.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks Stogy, if you get into the 1970's you couldn't pick a better pair. Bob

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  2. Eddie Dye roadster will be there.

3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Hamb is period based so if the vehicle is period correct it really doesn't matter when it was built...I suspect The Kid harkens to an older Traditional style but has been picked apart here for its movie role but I would hope its presence here would meet the guidelines at least as Inspired Traditional.

brady1929 and loudbang like this.
  4. If this one was in the US I would offer it for consideration. It meets all the criteria that Pat listed. It is one of the very few cover cars that appeared on the cover all by itself. It did not share the cover with any other car.

[​IMG]

alfin32, olscrounger, hrm2k and 13 others like this.
  5. The hot rod magazine that Dean & his roadster pickup graced the cover was the first Hot Rod Magazine I ever purchased, I blame my obsession on you Dean. :) HRP

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

That pickup inspired more kids than you think it did, at that time were you the youngest guy to have a car on the cover of Hot Rod? Still have the copy I bought back then, hope to get it autographed some day. Bob

dana barlow, lothiandon1940 and Stogy like this.
  7. Tin Lizzie

Tin Lizzie
    from Ohio

Where is your roadster pickup now Dean and what year did you sell it ?

dana barlow and Stogy like this.
  8. The car is in the capable hands of Steve Hill of Brighton, England. How it got there is still a sore spot with me. It's still making covers, even with 60 year old beat up paint.

[​IMG]

9. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-4-19_8-14-54.png November 1957
    Scotty’s Muffler Service from San Bernardino, California. Established in 1946 Charles Scott, (Scotty) started Scotty's Muffler in 1946 at a small location located at 4th and "I" st. in San Bernardino, CA

Hello,

Ever since my brother and I read that edition of Hot Rod Magazine with the Scotty’s Muffler Service Roadster on the cover, we were enthralled. We wanted to see it in person. By luck, we were able to see it in person at the December 1959 drag race meet at Riverside Raceway.
    SCOTTY'S AT RIVERSIDE

The day was labeled as the East vs West meet and brought the best of both areas together to see who was the best. Upon arrival at the pits area early in the morning, we were able to see all of the hot drag race cars being prepped for the day’s events. One car that stood out was the one we saw in the magazine back in 1957, Scotty’s Muffler Service Ardun powered modified roadster. The only “big” change was the addition of the centrifugal supercharger to the Ardun motor.

Jnaki

If I were choosing a historic drag race car, Scotty’s would be the choice, as it is a show quality build with unusual parts and had the "look" of the day.
    upload_2019-4-19_8-16-28.png
    This all day event was one for the history books. It ended with a controversy that was talked about for weeks.

unusual staging and starting set up…

10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And its still delivering the goods
    running hard and sounding great.

I am a little surprised he has let it weather away as much as it has...
    I mean its just surface rust...
    Very clever cover but definitely two very
    different mindsets with exterior maintenance...
    But still a very cool hotrod...

You really have quite a different way of maintaining your ride...
    Was it your Father that instilled caring for your ride in you?

dana barlow likes this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Problem here J is its not around any more or am I mistaken as it could be but configured nothing like it's HeyDay
    or has it be found and restored...could be the article below is dated 2002

Quoted from a Hotrod article...

"But the last day of Scotty's T still haunts him. "I used to keep the roadster at my house," continued Barnett, "and I took it to the muffler shop to do some work. It was still sitting on the trailer when Bob Baugh, the son of a foundry owner in Illinois, was visiting Scotty and saw the car. Baugh offered Scotty $2,500 for the car and trailer. He sold it on the spot, and Baugh hooked the trailer to the back of his car, and I never saw it again. It still makes me sick to think about it."

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1923-ardun-t-custom/

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    kidcampbell71 and jnaki like this.
  12. My father's cars never had a speck of dust or dirt on them. He came from nothing, and had to work hard for everything he had. That taught him to respect everything he owned. He taught me well.

13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

dana barlow and loudbang like this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    hrm2k, stillrunners and Jimmy B like this.
  15. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Maybe not what they are looking for but I’ve got the Car Craft Dream rod [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

It lost 30 mph over the decades.... :D

loudbang, Dean Lowe and Stogy like this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't think it would be easy to replicate the knowledge base both in the seat and mechanically that put that Hotrod in the winners circle so it's somewhat understandable. That is in no way saying Steve doesn't get it it's just an assumption...the other thing that could affect performance could be fuel perhaps...

Still a well driven Hotrod but under a different mindset...and obviously the Warrior look might not meet the criteria for this event...

loudbang likes this.
  18. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

this old sedan . . . just sayin' . . .

Hot Rod 1982-november-cover.jpg

19. It's not a fair comparison. I ran on hard clay at El Mirage. Steve runs on the loose sand at Pendine Sands beach. And, in the last two years, Steve is learning the sand, and has clocked over 118 on the beach. My 134 at El Mirage was eclipsed a few years later during an SCTA 1/2 mile meet at Riverside with a pass over 144. The run at El Mirage was the very first time the car was ever officially run anywhere. It was 1961, and the engine was an almost stock 265 SBC.

20. Tin Lizzie

Tin Lizzie
    from Ohio

Thank you for the reply and what year did you sell it ?

Stogy likes this.
  21. 1986

Stogy likes this.
  22. Ray Vega tub

Subject: Ray Vega tub May 1952 Hop Up cover car

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

© see info on the photos. (Rik Hoving Kustoms)

Vega Ford copy

Uploaded: June 16, 2005

with teaneau cover

[​IMG]

Stogy and Rolleiflex like this.
  23. GeeRam

GeeRam

You pretty much can't really learn the sand at Pendine, because it changes everyday with each tide, and during the course of each day depending on the weather.
    That's part of its charm (and frustration!)

Stogy likes this.
  24. rooman

rooman

I would love to be able to take mine (Hot Rod, January 1970) but there are a few problems
    Probably too new
    Restoration is still in progress
    It is not going to pass the ramp test (by a bunch) although it does have a starter
    I am going to be in Scotland that weekend

Roo Hot rod cover.jpg

25. frank spittle

frank spittle

BTT
    Pebble Beach is only 7 weeks away. Any more information on cars accepted. We all know the Kookie Kar will be there but any more you can confirm Jive Bomber.

Just Gary and Stogy like this.
  26. Looking at a recent email from The Rodders Journal - it’s cover car - roadsters including the Phil Cool 32 and the Nickel Roadster.

I’m not entirely clear on the judging process but looking at the lineup - the Kookie T is already the clear winner. It’s had numerous magazine covers and also the TV appearances.

I wish I was at Pebble Beach to see it all go down.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Just Gary likes this.
  27. From the TRJ newsletter
    IMG_6274.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Just Gary, Moriarity and dana barlow like this.
  28. The37Kid

The37Kid

Saw the Cool '32 Roadster, and Bruce Myer driving the Nickel Roadster on the Tour. Hope the photo I took of Bruce pulling out to pass a Ford GT40 came out. Bob

Greg Stokes likes this.
  29. TERPU

TERPU

Unfortunately that's now a very nice restored Phaeton now. Still Bitchin' just not the neater beater it once was.

30. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Too many to choose from but for me it would be Dean Lowe's RPU-to me the best hot rod ever.

TERPU and The37Kid like this.