Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Converting a parallel axle to rear mounted transverse spring.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shane Moore, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Shane Moore

Shane Moore

New guy here, so I apologize if this is a dead horse question.
    I've searched the directory for similar posts and have not had any luck, but does anyone have any info on converting a parallel spring front axle to a rear spring set up? Early 50's GM truck to be exact.
    Anyone seen brackets produced? Good place to source parts?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

That question is worded in a way that most of us don’t know what your saying.

You want to take the stock parallel leafs off the front of the truck and replace the leafs with ones from the back suspension of a early 50’s truck?

Is that correct?

Is the truck also an early 50’s truck? So you want to put the back springs in the front?

3. 26Troadster

26Troadster

don't believe anybody makes the aftermarket mounts, most folks that convert the axle make their own brackets.

4. flatford39

flatford39

Is he trying to make a 4x4???

5. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I will take a stab at what I think you are asking. It is possible to lower the REAR AXLE of AD trucks by swapping out the REAR SPRING HANGER BRACKET from the FRONT axle of a donor AD truck frame. Grind / drill / torch rivets and bolt on with high grade bolts.
    Your source is a junkyard.
    And do an introduction

6. Shane Moore

Shane Moore

Sorry guys, let me try this again.
    I’ve picked up an old GM pickup axle, and I would like to mount it with a rear spring (suicide) set up on a model T sedan build. Instead of the parallel springs it’s meant for.
    My question was if anyone has seen or know of brackets to bolt into the spring pad that will help adapt this axle to a more traditional single spring mounting situation.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. The single leaf spring is referred to as a transverse spring, where there is a will there is a way but your going to have to fabricate a front spring mount along with using some type of hair pins or some split bones.

You will also have to figure out how to attach the later axle that wasn't designed for a single spring and that will be hard to do but it's not impossible.

I dought anyone makes a kit to do what your wanting to do. HRP

8. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I think that old Shane wants to convert a GM axle with a parallel spring set up with mounts forged or casted onto it and use that axle on a Model T, with a single spring set up. I would say, sell the GM axle to someone builder a gasser and buy a axle, new or used, set up for a Model T.

Texas Webb likes this.
  9. Shane Moore likes this.
  10. Shane Moore

Shane Moore

11. there are some brackets available to do this, and a lot of "rodent" (no offence) rods have used a set up like this
    however, in the big picture, the cost added to the overall build to locate a transverse style axle is minimal and less fab work. I do understand using the parts you have
    The Full Custom Garage has an episode where he makes his own set up for this type of axle
    from an aesthetics point of view, this set up can sometimes look clumsy
    the spring mounts on a 47-54 gm truck axle are narrow compared to the Ford and Dodge offerings which may
    add some more thought into fitment

12. Lets blow the photo up to a larger size to see what has been done. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The photo's are from this thread. HERE

13. adam401

adam401

Fab pads that bolt to your axle that act as spring perches? Sure pretty simple and then have a spring made and buy some shackles. No problem. But should you???? Thats the question....

For how cheap stock Ford axles are unless you are really atatched to the GM axle id throw it in the back yard and get a 32-36 axle. Hell even a model A axle. Not to mention the aesthetic improvement of a Ford front susoension. Why reinvent the wheel for what will most likely be a lesser suspension setup that will look super bulky? Good luck

14. spring 2.jpg
    here is a qtr elliptical set up being set up on a similar axle
    spring 4.jpg
    and another one
    the guys that drop large trucks usually use these types of axles due to necessity

these are just pics from the web, this is not something I am saying is a good idea

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  15. flatford39

flatford39

Just use a model A axle...there a dime a dozen.

Texas Webb likes this.
  16. No

Get a ford axle or tube tbucket axle

One can force the parts you have to work BUT if you need to find brackets to buy you’ll be light years ahead to buy the right axle parts.
    There’s enough trouble for you to find within that suicide axle set up

17. 26Troadster

26Troadster

that is what i thought he was talking about. but don't know of anybody making mounts. i also call them spring behind. have seen a lot of them used with semi elliptical springs. i also agree there are better axles to use.

18. Ehhh or 75 a piece

19. But why? Because you were given a truck front axle?
    Post your location. Does anybody have even a stock early Ford axle (along with training) they would donate to Shane's project?

anthony myrick likes this.
  20. Shane Moore

Shane Moore

It’s already been converted to Camaro disks and was rebuilt not long ago, a buddy went Mustang II, so yeah, mostly because I have it.
    I can spend $500 on a speedway axle sure, but IF someone has a source on some prefabbed brackets to drill and bolt on and mount some wishbones too, why spend the money.
    But also where I’m at in central Washington state, not a lot of source for model A parts.

21. Shane Moore

Shane Moore

I’m starting to like the look of the semi elliptical set ups. I’ll have to think about that.

22. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Back in the day we use to use truck axles on our oval track modifieds. Trimmed all the ugly spring pads and crap off the axle then welded perches and bat wings on just like a tube axle. A lot cleaner looking and lighter than the bolt on stuff. E-Z-P-Z

8-15-g.JPG

VANDENPLAS, RMR&C, Texas Webb and 3 others like this.
  23. manyolcars

manyolcars

Shane you need to learn what a traditional hotrod is and stay away from ratrod ideas

24. Shane Moore

Shane Moore

That’s really slick.
    I’m wasn’t sure I wanted to try and weld on it.

25. Shane Moore

Shane Moore

Explain the difference, minus 50 years or so of the social acceptance to make one “traditional” I’ll wait..

26. Building what you have is traditional
    And early axles don’t exist in every junk yard anymore.
    Possible to sell the current axle to fund a transverse.
    Just throwing that out there.
    Try to find the Full Custom Garage episode where they use a parallel axle in a model A coupe.
    I have seen the brackets you are asking about at shows like the Redneck Rumble.

Shane Moore likes this.
  27. Many moons ago I did the same as Rootie. Took an early 50's Chevrolet pickup axle, cut a section out of middle to narrow it, welded perches to it, to the width required for a Model A spring, welded 4 bar mounts and panhard mount to it. Turned the spindles down, to accept Camaro discs, made brackets for calipers, and mounted in my Model A. Worked, and a bit of work to do, but I had the parts for free or almost, and I could do all of the grunt work.
    It's do-able, but you need to know and feel comfortable doing it.

Shane Moore likes this.
  28. Shane Moore

Shane Moore

I had heard they drilled into it to mount a conventional spring mount correct?

29. These mounted to the 4 spring u bolt holes. Had a 4 bar or hairpin mount welded to it

Shane Moore likes this.