Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Mysterion in Street Rodder Mag this month

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chappy444, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Not sure if this should fall under Art&Inspiration, Customs, Folks of interest or Projects.
    Its kind of all of them.
    Any way, there is a nice spread and write up on the Mysterion restoration/recreation in the latest issue of Street Rodder Mag (October 2019 issue).
    Nice article and Well Deserved Kudos...
    Chappy
    SR.jpg

VANDENPLAS, Deuces, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I didn't know people still bought Street Rodder.

Deuces, ramblin dan and 41 coupe like this.
  3. 2935ford

2935ford

Ya, I thought Street Rodder was defunk?

Deuces likes this.
  4. yeah, my dad has been buying my a sub for Christmas for as long as I can remember. He would renew his during one of their buy one give one promotions... Now that he is gone I get his copy and my copy delivered to the house... probably wont renew after these run out...
    I will say that most of the cars are pretty HAMB friendly lately.... IMHO.
    Anyway, it was nice to see the Mysterion getting some press.
    Chappy
    here are a few interesting covers from this year
    sr2.jpg sr3.jpg sr4.jpg sr5.jpg sr6.jpg

catdad49, VANDENPLAS, Deuces and 4 others like this.

5. 34Larry

34Larry

You know I'e taken Street Rodder since 1958, when it was the 'little pages" and I also got it in the mail this week. It and the next issue are the last two I will ever get, not interested in cars that are featured more than half the time, and the articles on "how to" any more. The company that they use for subscriptions started bugging the shit out of me last January to renew and I hate that also. So after about 61 years and about 732 issues its by-by to an old friend. This just received issue is just okay, but I know they will be featuring make believe "hot rods" from the 60's and later to please their new market the guys are 10 to 30 and more, that are behind us older gentlemen. Which I understand because I think that is where the market is for them today and that is okay because those guys are into that era cars.
    I have been picking up "Hot rod Deluxe" and "car culture Deluxe" on occasion, and with the exception of the tattooed women ??, those are more my style.

Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. alchemy

alchemy

Larry you can’t have been subscribing to SR since 1958. It began publication in 1972.

lurker mick, Moriarity and 49ratfink like this.
  7. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I remember when Streetrodder first came out, in May 1972. Their own FB page Streetrodder magazine.png says "launched in May 1972."

lurker mick likes this.
  8. catdad49

catdad49

I know that there was a Custom Rodder in a little book version.

9. dmdeaton

dmdeaton

I like the model A on the cover
    I may get a subscription just for that article

Deuces likes this.
  10. I knew the article was coming out in the October issue. Forgot that mags issue a couple months early!! Probably thinking of Rod & Custom in the little pages?

Deuces, Chappy444 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. I have a couple of ‘em

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

catdad49, Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Me too, I am dropping Hot Rod,Super Chevy and some others. Prefer Rodders Journal and Hot Rod Deluxe. Way more my style!

13. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

14. catdad49

catdad49

Hey Dan, I have the top two. Bought with my allowance way back when.

loudbang, ramblin dan and Deuces like this.
  15. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

It's funny cause when you said that I tried to remember the last time I bought Street Rodder magazine and it's been almost two decades since I last bought one. I do remember in the late eighties and early nineties there was a Magazine called American Rodder that started out like any other book but soon turned into a magazine with hot girls barely dressed featured with the cars. Street Rodder then tried to incorporate the same only a little less risqué and there was a huge backlash of people writing in and complaining that if they wanted a girlie magazine they would buy one. At least American Rodder wasn't as bad as Auto Buff magazine.

loudbang likes this.
  16. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I got a box of them somewhere but the only one I know I got in that picture is the right bottom one.

catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  17. Culture shock; last time I bought a rod mag at the news rack it was a couple bucks. I went to Target and bought a handful of this issue to sent to friends and family and was blown away when the checkout lady gave me the total. They are $8 apiece nowadays. Time for me to fade into the past, can't relate to the brave new world. really nice article on the car though.

You might notice that the sparkplug wires have boots on them in the photos after I made such a big deal about Ed not using them on the original car. The mechanic at Stahl's museum, new owner of the car, is really good. Got the car running really well and fixed a few bugs I never got around to fixing. However he is too good. He put on boots, put lock washers on the tie rod ends of the 4-bar links that Ed left off, and put an ugly automatic choke on the working carb. In his defense, he did make it a point to ask why I did this type of thing on the car and promised to 'correct' his changes.

catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  18. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

i bought a copy just to see this article

loudbang likes this.
  19. 34Larry

34Larry

loudbang likes this.
  20. 34Larry

34Larry

I was batch'in it, in those days, working as manufacturing engineer at Boeing, Had my 50,000 mile '66 Rivi, factory dual quad "425" in my attached garage, (now a "family room she calls it) going though it making it a "show Buick". And my point then is I had the upper walls ringed with those ho so reviling ladies pictures. Even at 80 I miss those nice ladies. I still have one Ameican Rodder with unbelievable 34 and its accompanying Brunette out in the shop.
    Then got married. Her 3 y.o. Grand daughters says one day, "Grandpa why are all those naked girls up there on the wall"?. End of pictures and granddaughters time allowed in the garage.

loudbang and ramblin dan like this.
  21. And I just noticed this magazine also has a long detailed article on rebuilding a Ford FE engine. That brings back memories on building the Mysterion for sure!!

loudbang likes this.
  22. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

And I'll add a congrats to you for the build, it turned out great!

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  23. Just found out that Hot Rod magazine did a couple page article this month on my Mysterion version. Nice writeup. Also some photos of Ed and the car when he was just starting it that I had never seen before.

Side note; I haven't kept up with Hot rod mag for a couple years. Was shocked how much it has shrunk in size. More like Hot Rod pamphlet. Looks all the world like it is on life support.