Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I built the car for me

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 15, 2019.

1. I built my old beater (1932 Sedan) 31 years ago and at that time the Hamb wasn't around to influence me but I have always liked the simple style builds and when the car was up and running I drove the wheels off and never took the time to install any creature comforts, heat or air, insulation or interior.

I was younger and weather really didn't play into my enjoyment of driving my car, then I joined the hamb and was promptly told it wasn't a hot rod because it didn't have three pedals, I ignored the jabs and I still call it a hot rod.

As time has marched on last year I decided to finally do some of the upgrades I have put off and I started gathering up the parts and pieces I needed to make the car a lot more comfortable to drive regardless of the weather.

The interior was number 1 on the list but I also added heat & air along with a horn and emergency brakes and a few other parts and pieces, again out comes the slings and arrow, Real hot rods don't have air conditioning and again I ignored them and proceeded with building my car for me.

I still call it a hot rod and I tried to incorporate the components into the car without being in your face because I still like simplicity.

The old Deuce sedan was last painted in 1962 and the body is all steel. HRP

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    cpd682, Blue One, Gman0046 and 54 others like this.
  2. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Full speed ahead and ignore the keyboard commandos...

3. Fordors

Fordors

I couldn’t agree more. When the naysayers start writing the checks and doing the work on my car they can build it any way they want.

Gasser 57, seb fontana, weps and 11 others like this.
  4. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

YOUR car : YOUR way!!!!

5. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

It's a Hot Rod!
    Just my 2 cents, KK

6. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On the HAMB opinions are like a*s holes, everyone has one. Some are good and some not so good. Listen to the ones you like and/or make sense and ignore the others. Your car, your way. JMO.

7. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Some of those critics will look and look again , at a car and are not satisfied until they can point at something they don't like about it . I just tell them " When you build yours , you can correct that problem "

8. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

My old coupe was that way it was a hot rod in every sense except the auto trans. Then I put parallel leafs on the rear and mustang II ifs on the front. At that point it wasn’t HAMB friendly. When I built the convertible I just built it the way I wanted and I don’t care who doesn’t like it. It’s my car and it’s what I want

Hnstray, Legends47, ffr1222k and 2 others like this.
  9. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Let’s all start singing kumbaya and talking about our feelings!

10. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Me too. I built my 40 for me and put all the creature comforts in it. My 34 didn't have that and where I live, you need heat/air if you are going to drive the car most of the year. If you don't like my car, that's OK, it's not yours.

11. silent rick

silent rick

12. Most who criticize don't have a clue Danny, or even have a REAL Hot Rod. I get it all the time cuz I've got a/c and only 2 pedals

Gman0046, lothiandon1940 and OLDSMAN like this.
  13. Jokester

Jokester

I didn't start messing w/ cars until the mid sixties when muscle cars were becoming the rage. I still prefer hot rods. I also prefer A/C, disc brakes and automatics. Build what you like and what suits your needs.
    .bjb

hotrodharry2, dan31 and ffr1222k like this.
  14. goldmountain

goldmountain

Where I live, It's easy to be era correct without air conditioning, with you, not so much.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

The automatic transmission showed up in the early fifties and in hotrods the same time, just not for the narrow minded. :)

Hnstray likes this.
  16. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

Too here many have a narrow revisionist view of what a hot rod is. They don’t like Chevys or small block Chevy engines, automatic transmissions, red wheels, etc. A viewpoint shaped by the narrow coverage in old car magazines is not really what was going on from my experience. Someone’s approval is not necessary for my enjoyment of my car.

17. I know you're not looking for opinions, but I'd call it a jalopy. And I'd be damn proud to own it exactly the way you have it.

18. To those people I say, "If you don't like my gate, don't swing on it.", heard this as a young kid on the farm.

19. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

When I was a teen- many decades ago- a manual trans was much faster in the quarter than an automatic. Now it is reversed- autos are often faster. I guess it boils down to your definition of a hot rod
    vs what is "period correct". At my age and with the number of traffic backups around here I
    choose an automatic, and yes to climate control. I also think your car is perfect as is.

20. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

it is now a Cool cool (A/C) Hot hot (heater) Rod

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    rbrewer likes this.
  21. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I build, drive, and like what I like; with zero input from anybody else. Sure I get ideas from looking at other rides but the results are all my choices. I've never understood the mindset that "I am the judge of what is cool and right with everybody else's car" or "I'm the only one who knows what is right". My first reply to those guys is "Who the hell are you.... you're nobody, that's who".

This is probably why I don't have a whole lot of friends; I have never had any patience with people trying to run my life. Been on my own since I was 15, I'm 57 now and don't plan on worrying about other folks opinion anytime soon.

An now, I'm going to step down off of my soapbox and go take the car out for a drive. Y'all have a good day!

22. Good on ya, Danny! I did the same. Don't call mine a hot rod, but he is MINE, OT fuel and all. And AC. And heat.
    Couple of song lyrics come to mind. Waylon " always been crazy but it kept me from going insane" fits. As does Frank's " my way".

Ben

23. weird, after only twenty years on the road, i freshened up the 29 with new fender welt, frame webbing, body blocks, & (gasp) disc brakes!! i still run bias ply tires, & sometimes even put the rock hard casler's on the back. But, it's kind of nice not listening to all the squeaks, rattles, & knowing the brakes are going to stop me. No more spring time re-adjustments

24. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

some people seem proud of not having heat or air or glass in the window holes. makes them feel "hard core"

Mr48chev, low budget and MikeRose like this.
  25. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

In 73 or 4 my mother looked at a house that was for sale and in the driveway was a 32 full fender three window. She looked at the house and I was all over the Ford, I could see it had a aluminum headed flathead with two carbs and a fiftys automatic steering column, wide whites a great stance along with a very old medium metallic blue paint job. It was my first up close and personal with a hotrod but I knew what I was looking at. I stopped by a couple times and talked with the owner the car was built in 1960 I was in lust with it. I lost track of the car after a few years when the house finally sold but I still think about that car.

hotrodharry2 likes this.
  26. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Same naysayers are saying it's "nerdy" to have your elbow out the window while you're driving. Guess I've been a nerd for the last 55-years I've owned, built/fixed/drove hot rods. Why listen to 'em ?

hotrodharry2 likes this.
  27. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I figured out some time ago that it is a waste of time to build some one else's car.

bill gruendeman likes this.
  28. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Thinking about your rod;Look in the mirror;if the guy has a smile an ideas of fun !!! Your doing it right!

As for others,like my self,that some times give out a idea!! I too am hot rod brain crazy,so I look at every one,an enjoy whats done,but also think what I'd have done or would do! We each have likes an dislikes. Me,I don't understand well,when rods are not shiny or fairly comfortible. Yes,I have put things off tell tomorrow,time,$,or just lazy didn't feel like it today ,yet got it done even if it was a few tomorrows later,but not years!. Biggest hold up,was mostly $. I should of been too lazy to write this,but it's raining hard right now! Have fun,even in the rain!!

29. 32fenderless

32fenderless

Who cares what others say. You do what you want to be able to still enjoy your car. I don’t get the whole street rod/traditional war. If having air,cruise,ifs and other options allows you to drive it more and more importantly more comfortable. Then so be it. I love the die hard traditional built cars but I can’t build a car for myself that way. I love overdrives , fuel injection and ac.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

firstinsteele likes this.
  30. 40ragtopdown

40ragtopdown

Just remember the only one who has to be happy with it is the one holding the steering wheel.