Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I found a 1959 Plymouth and need a title

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dk1970runner, Aug 15, 2019.

1. dk1970runner

dk1970runner

I found a 1958 Plymouth Fury in a junk yard but it doesn't have a title. What can I do to get one? I live in Colorado.
    no engine, no transmission.

2. flatford39

flatford39

contact your DMV???

3. dk1970runner

dk1970runner

Flatford39, I did and got a lazy person who said "they can't do anything without a title"

4. Cosmo50

Cosmo50
    from California

5. The lazy person is probably correct

6. Terrible80

Terrible80

(The current title or other ownership documents properly endorsed by the previous owner, ) to me this could be a bill of sale with receipt from yard. especially with it being an existing business. From line 3 link in post 4.

Cosmo50 likes this.
  7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

locate someone that deals with title searches, etc for classic cars - some states accept a bill of sale for vehicles that have been out of the DMV for a specific number of years, and then issue a new title after inspection is done checking frame/body numbers on car

Cosmo50 likes this.
  8. If they have private title service business"s in your state that would be the easy way to go.Pay someone else to do the work.You may end up with a bonded title,but that's ok.Otherwise find someone at your DMV who understands how to apply for a bonded title.

9. let's see a pic of why it's worth it....

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wrecking (legit ones) are required by law to send the titles in to the state. Cars that they don't send the title in have to be kept in their "used car" lot/impound separate from the ones they put in the regular yard.
    As usual all states are different but the first thing I'd do is check with the state DMV and see what you need to title a vehicle you buy out of a wrecking yard.
    I'd think a detailed bill of sale with the vin on it along with the year, model and body style will be proof of legal ownership for the dmv.
    I'd want the missing items listed on the bill of sale as you are going to end up running it though the dmv as a reconstructed vehicle or what ever your state's name for that is.

Cosmo50 likes this.
  11. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Pick up a copy of Hemings Motor News. From time to time there are adds selling titles

12. riv63

riv63
    from Texas

Although this is sometimes used, be careful as fraud is a real word.

egads and 62hotcat like this.
  13. 62hotcat

62hotcat

Dig deep on The DMV website. Most states have ways of obtaining titles. Most of the staff at the Local DMV wouldn't know. It takes a little work though. Putting an ad in the paper,notary,etc. Or pay a title service to do it. There are a few out there.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  14. I bought a carcass out of a Calif. wrecking yard decades ago. The guy gave me a bill of sale but had to include info from his purchase of the car. I got it together and had to go through all the inspections at official brake and light station. Luckily that was in 1958 so I didn't have the smog nightmare to contand with.

15. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

At most DMVs what they CAN do and what they WILL do leaves a large gap! If you have a friend in the used car or salvage business, sometimes they can do stuff that Joe Q. Citizen can’t. Might checked that out.
    If that doesn’t work, “ sell” the car to a friend in one of the states that don’t require titles on old cars or are at least easily obtained. Then transfer the car to Colorado.

There are ways to get titles here in Oklahoma, one way is to have a district judge give you an order for the DMV to make a title. Doesn’t happen to often, but there are ways to get things done.
    But like mentioned states rules vary and swapping titles and vin on cars is illegal in probably all states.
    Where there’s a will.....there’s a way!

Bones

16. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Skip the local DMV and call the state main office.
    Ask for a supervisor.
    Climb the food chain until you talk to someone who knows the ins and outs and can give you the proper information.
    Call that person direct with questions.
    Send all info directly to the state office.
    Local DMV’s should only be used to buy tabs or plates.

Hnstray likes this.
  17. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

In Missouri we have what’s called a bonded title. The state patrol checks the vin to verify it’s not stolen. You pay a deposit and if it comes back clean they issue you a bonded title. Once the car is road ready and passes inspection, the bonded title gets converted to a regular title.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  18. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Hnstray likes this.
  19. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Yea, I stole the car, how can I obtain a title??? Just joking. You would think that every car that is stolen the VIN number is recorded on a data base that could be easily check by any state motor vehicle department. There should be a push to get the major suppliers of speed parts, restoration parts, old car parts in general to push a bill to make it easier to obtain a title, in such a way that I have suggested. In fact they can call it the "Coconut Bill". Oh yea, I still have that 57 Ranchero for sale and don't ask me about a title!!!!

20. southcross2631

southcross2631

Bought a VW Van years ago in Colorado. The title was no problem from the DMV . What was tough was the back road use tax they wanted to collect.

21. lilmann

lilmann

I’ve gone through the missing title game with the Colorado DMV, it’s no big deal BUT very time consuming because it’s the DMV!

You’ll have to go to the DMV and get all their paperwork, and if I remember correctly there’s more paperwork once you complete a couple steps. You’ll have to get it bonded (talk to your insurance agent) and you’ll need the CO State Patrol to inspect and provide a signed document.

The whole process is pretty easy but time consuming...costs around $300

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

These two are the best replies to this thread. There is/was a similar thread a few weeks ago and the replies to it were all over the field and equally off base. I suggested going directly to the State DMV, as @partsdawg suggests here,

The person in the other thread did exactly that and ended up with a title in short order. Whether it was my advice, his own idea or someone else’s suggestion, I don’t really know, nor does it matter. The important point is, that’s were the answers were found. There is soooo much well intentioned advice, but BS nonetheless, on theses threads it is amazing.

Ray

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    LM14 likes this.