Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Do you look to see if people are looking

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chainsaw, Aug 14, 2019.

1. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I always look and watch my surroundings . Believe me my world is full of freaks , I want to keep my distance , and yes I do personal space . Don’t tread on me , and your day will be of the up most a pleasant one . Invade my personal space and things go to the dark side of my life really fast . I just love the guy that comes over puts his hand on my shoulder , “ is that a kit car ? “ or “ is that a Fat Boy , I had one years ago “ . Only my friends invade my space , I guess it must come with age and experiences in life . This really brings something to mind about if people are watching or not ? Have many of you attended a pro baseball game recently and had to make the rounds to the head ? There are 40 men lined up , men standing shoulder to shoulder there pissin , and 3 or 4 of the silly bastards have there pants down bare ass shinin pissin . Never fails , always next to me is the meat gazer . Is this defined as posing or what ? When finished 3/4 of the Bastards do not wash the dick skinners and exit , just think of this scene when you are in the middle of a row and the same bastard has to pass your dog and a beer to you that you know never washed his hands .

2. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Hey I do do that!! 51 New Pics 004.jpg

3. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

When people honk and wave at me, I usually wonder if my cars on fire or if something is about to fall off. lol

4. Very cool, Seb. Looks like you could put three of those in the same parking spot!:eek::D... IMG_0130.JPG

5. LAROKE

LAROKE

Sitting at a light I notice someone yelling from the Lexus next to me. It's a geezer couple with grandkids in the back seat. The guy drivin' hollars "What year is that?" I say "'37". He points at his wife "She's a '37 too but I like yours better" Light changes and I motor away smartly.

6. ........I'm guessing that he may have had a dinner of cold soup that evening.:eek:;)

7. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I’m sure most of you have had oncoming cars come right at you when staring at your car or going right of center on a four lane as they pass looking at you.
    Scary stuff.
    I always wave when given a thumbs up. Never really search the streets looking for approval but the most fun is when I’m going through a neighborhood and notice, normally a guy working in his yard, in deep concentration.
    He hears this weird engine sound coming down the road, stops dead in his tracks and just stares then later smiles or waves.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    lothiandon1940 and Deuces like this.
  8. I don't look around much when I am driving an old rig...I did have a 1947 Willys Jeep at one time and most all the Wrangler Jeep guys would give you the "Jeep Wave"...

Nowadays I just watch the rearview mirrors and try to stay in my lane...

MikeC

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    Deuces likes this.
  9. I may look if it's a blonde in a white T-Bird!:rolleyes:

10. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I'm one of those guys that drives his old car so much and wonders why people are staring. My friends always say they saw me, but I never waved at them. I tell them that it is real easy to spot me, but all I see is a bunch of jelly bean cars with tinted windows. It's not as easy to spot you as it is to spot me.

61Cruiser, 49ratfink, Cosmo49 and 4 others like this.
  11. blackanblue

blackanblue

My buddy has a stock 53 chevy pu, I have a 52 gmc and we have a standing joke between us. Thumbs up, waves, honks is like currency. I got so many, he got so many, so my wife and I went for a camping road trip about 500 mile round trip with the 52 and our vintage camper. We broke the bank, got so many lost count. All good fun.

Nicholas Coe, Deuces and Montana1 like this.
  12. blackanblue

blackanblue

That use to happen all the time when I was driving my work/ sevice truck.

Deuces likes this.
  13. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Rarely ever make a car show.
    But years ago we used to have a standing bet just for fun.
    We would compete and keep count of the number of times each car had a picture taken, looked at the engine and so forth. The highest points were if someone kneeled down and looked under the car. Just something to do during a boring car show and make some money on the side.

Deuces and Rambling Rudy like this.
  14. Rambling Rudy

Rambling Rudy

Hard not to when your going down the road and people hang out the window taking pictures and or video of your car. LOL

Greenblade, woodsnwater and Deuces like this.
  15. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

I'm looking to see if my doors are locked and the vette guy is going to wave at me or not

swervyjoe and Deuces like this.
  16. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Not looking for it, but do wave at those that wave or give a thumbs up. Get a lot of "what year is it?"

Deuces and exterminator like this.
  17. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do I look to see if people are looking? No and I don't care. Making eye contact leads to the dumb ass questions and the "My uncle used to have one of these..............." comments.

What I do look at is the reflection of the car as I go through an area where the buildings have a lot of glass on the front.

Come on.....'fess up--you do it, too.

61Cruiser, Jibs and Deuces like this.
  18. Joe_dirt1

Joe_dirt1

I get a lot of looks and thumbs ups mostly from the older people 50s and up...usually get the " I remember riding in the back of one of those as a kid" or " this is what I learned how to drive in"...most of the younger guys around here are more excited about the rusty loud rat rods...I usually will give people a thumbs up or a nod back

Deuces likes this.
  19. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

You shouldn’t call him Shirley :D

20. Deuces

Deuces

Yo got that right.... :cool:

21. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

... Or hot tongue and cold shoulder. Either way, it probably sucked to be him for a while!

22. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I drive a flatbed farm Jalopy. My turf is the back roads of rural East Central Brrmont... beautiful farm country. My biggest and most frequent hoot is spying a farmer on his tractor out mowing/planting/harvesting at the same time he spies (hears) me passing by.

BIG waves both ways and an ahOOga for good measure. These are hardworking folks who've spent their lives keeping old machinery up and running, and they GET IT! I respect the hellouta em. Oncoming tourists who rarely wave...not so much.

23. Yeah, that can scare the crap out of you! HRP

Deuces likes this.
  24. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I’m always looking for the female leg show when I’m in the semi, in the Lincoln, I’m watching the other folks to make sure they aren’t fixing to run over me!
    Gotta confess, I do the look at your reflection in the store windows deal too. Gives you a good idea of what everybody else is seeing, and what you might want to change up.

25. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

I wave or give a thumbs up if people do it to me, otherwise I just keep driving. When I first built my 39 Chevy sedan, my 1st show was the Nationals in Louisville. I had a smile a mile wide as I watched people pointing at my car as I drove through the front entrance.

Deuces likes this.
  26. No HRP but thanks for posting........

27. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

I feel like I’m 16 when driving the hot rod but I sure as hell don’t look like I’m 16 when I catch my reflection driving past the windows!

28. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

"Hey sir, that sure is a cool car! What year is it?" And then, "Did you buy it new?"
    Ouch!

29. Deuces

Deuces

That always hurts.... :(

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  30. jnaki

jnaki

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/reflections.1042507/page-3#post-11811509

Hello,

Of course, there is always the “attitude” of driving a nice looking hot rod or cool cruiser. It is not so much as wanting people to notice, but the actual feeling of DRIVING that cool hot rod. If people want to look, then the more power to them and us. In high school, the teenage wants piled up high, simply for being accepted. If people looked, (and they did) the attitude was “who gives a $#!&%.” A little lump of satisfaction, still rumbles inside when those moments arrive. It was something that as a teenager, was important, but you did not want to show that you cared.
    upload_2019-8-17_3-43-2.png
    When we drove the 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery to surf movies at the local auditoriums, there was always a line up to get into the movies. But, the cool thing was, the road to the parking area or if there was one in front, made people look at “who was driving” and “who was inside.” Being associated with famous surfers was a very cool thing for most. If we happen to be in their line of fire for adulations, then that was good for the teenage egos.

Most of those people did not care what the hot rod sounded like, it was just the idea that it was a surf wagon of sorts. They were excited to see who would get out of the doors. Some times, it was with a date, other times it was with the rear cave loaded with a bunch of friends. When the doors opened, it was showtime… That feeling that someone thought you were important was different than the teachers who questioned your choice of lifestyles. Every little bit helped in the growing up process.
    upload_2019-8-17_3-44-8.png
    Driving down the Coast Highway to South Orange County surf spots was the most fun. A red/orange (salmon pink) 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery with two surfboards out of the rear window did stick out. Comments flew and adventures were multiplied for the waves and camaraderie.

Jnaki

Back then as teenagers, it was important to be seen. These days, who cares, quit looking and drive safely without a cell phone glued to your face.

i.rant and chryslerfan55 like this.